+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Well, WOW!!!! What a fantastic mens' doubles final. Sock and Pospisil won over the Bryans 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5. I would not have predicted that in advance, but they sure earned it. Superb match. I'm watching the trophy presentation right now. Sock looks a little like a very young Nick Nolte to me.

Sad to say that Martina lost in her final. I thought her partner, Sfar from Tunisia, whom I really don't know, was the weaker partner for sure. They lost to Jana Novotno and Barbara Schett.

I'm hoping for a good match tomorrow.
    Congrats to the winners. Now that is a match!
    football_chick likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I don't usually watch doubles tennis but I am sure glad I did. What a great mens' doubles final! Hard to believe that 'Popsicle' and Jack Sock have never played together!

Also, saw this interesting tidbit online "The Bryan twins were bidding for a 16th Grand Slam doubles title and 99th overall.

98 titles? Wow.. just incredible.
    Last edited by football_chick; 07-05-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    I don't usually watch doubles tennis but I am sure glad I did. What a great mens' doubles final! Hard to believe that 'Popsicle' and Jack Sock have never played together!

Also, saw this interesting tidbit online "The Bryan twins were bidding for a 16th Grand Slam doubles title and 99th overall.

98 titles? Wow.. just incredible.
    wow, that is quite a stat.

Yep, I read that a few days ago and thought I had put something up here about it, but guess not.

I couldn't help but think that when the Bryans decide to retire (they're 37 now, I think), that Sock and Popsicle would make a good Davis Cup replacement, but then I realized that one is American and one is Canadian, so that won't work.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

OMG. This men's final is killing me! I can hardly watch because it's stressing me out so much. I'm rooting for Federer to win one more, but I won't be too sad if Nole wins. I like them both and whoever wins this one will definitely deserve it.
    football_chick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    OMG. This men's final is killing me! I can hardly watch because it's stressing me out so much. I'm rooting for Federer to win one more, but I won't be too sad if Nole wins. I like them both and whoever wins this one will definitely deserve it.
    This is exciting! It ain't over til Fed says it is!

It was a great, top quality match and what we always hope to see in a final. I didn't really have a favorite between the two; Rafa is my favorite among the top men.

I have to say I'm hoping to see some of the younger men continue to rise.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Rafa and Nole are my favorites, so if either of them wins, I consider the tournament a success.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    It was a great, top quality match and what we always hope to see in a final. I didn't really have a favorite between the two; Rafa is my favorite among the top men.

I have to say I'm hoping to see some of the younger men continue to rise.
    Really.
    It's happened with the women, but not yet with the men.

I like Nole, but I was still sad for Roger. With his health issues, he doesn't have very many more chances to win another Grand Slam. He played so well this tournament. I was hoping he could pull out one more great set.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I was hoping the same for Roger. He's got four children now, too, and who knows if they'll be more. I was hoping he'd get one more slam this time around since he was playing so well, and then maybe consider retirement. But, today he said, "See you next year."

A lot of athletes in many sports have a hard time deciding when it's time to hang it up. It's usually the best of them.

+ Reply to Thread