+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

It was an odd AO. I think while the winners weren't completely out of the blue, it still wasn't what everyone anticipated.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Ditto.

Men's final - I was so sure I had picked the winner that I logged on to my computer to read my emails before I actually sat down to watch the recorded match. Big mistake. Tennis channel email had all the pertinent info in the subject line. I was shocked. I decided to find other things to do and still haven't watched. Not sure I will.

We all have bad days. This one just came at the worst possible time.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I'm happy for Wawrinka, but I'm sure that's not the way he wanted to win. It's not that he won buy default - he was ahead a set and a break before Nadal's injury AND he beat Nole in this tournament as well - but some people will always want to put a "he won because Nadal was injured" asterisk on his win. I felt bad for Nadal too. That's not how you want a Grand Slam final to go.

Nice that one of the first calls Stan received after the win was from Federer, who says he's one of SW's biggest fans. I think good sportsmanship generally rules in tennis, which is why bad sportsmanship stands out so much....Serena Williams, I'm looking at you!
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rafa badly injured his back during the second set and he just wasn't the same after that. Nevertheless, Wawrinka played an excellent match as he's been doing this whole second week.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Poor Nadal, credit him for keeping going with the back pain, the blisters. He was going to go with it to the end. Remember when Henin dropped out of a final? She got slammed for it. Congrats to Stan, I like the guy even if he beat my Rafa.
    Florimel likes this.

Congratulations to Roger Federer on being the father of ANOTHER set of twins (boys this time)
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

I was surprised by the second set of twins. I knew she was expecting, but hadn't really paid any attention to the details.

Tennis action happening in Spain now for the Mutua Madrid Open. RF has declined to participate given his situation, which is TOTALLY the right call.

In other tennis related news, RAFAEL NADAL was 'adopted' by the city of Madrid as their Favorite Son. In case it ever comes up again, I'd gladly take him in if he needed a new mom!!

Rafa named Adopted Son of Madrid - Nadal News

FORT Fogey

I know this makes me a terrible, cynical, gossipy person. But when I heard that the Federer's had another set of twins, my first thought was that it was likely in vitro. My second thought, instead of thinking they may have infertility issues, was that the rumors that their marriage is a business / image arrangement are true, and they use in vitro for their kids because they don't have a traditional marriage with a traditional relationship. I'll go hang my head in shame now for thinking such gossip ... but it does affirm my dislike for Federer (my gossipy mind going there -- not the REAL circumstances that may have led to two sets of twins).

I don't know and it's really none of my business how his, or anyone's, children may have been conceived. However, twins do run in families. It's not uncommon for parents to have more than one multiple birth without any help from a lab.

I'm kind of neutral on Federer as player; don't love him or hate him, but I wish him well on the addition to his family.
    Critical likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread