+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    The whole time difference thing is a PITA when watching the Australian Open. I'm never really sure what day it is.

Early outs:

Venus Williams
    Bernard Tomic and John Isner - both with "injuries"
    That's my problem with the Australian. The coverage is always on at weird times and whenever I watch it, I can never tell for sure if it's happening now or it happened yesterday...or is it happening tomorrow....

That kind of heat is punitive. I wonder how the players' shoes are staying in tact? At what temperature does rubber start to melt?

I just turned on men's doubles and it's Hewitt and Rafter playing. God, I loved Rafter I even loved his long hair. One of their opponents is names Butorac. In the tiny print on the TV screen, it looked like something else.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watch a lot of the Australian Open (like right now) -- mostly because this is when I'm usually awake.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Hewitt's singles match yesterday was a heartbreaker. He comes back from 2-0 sets, and takes it all the way to 5-5 in the 5th set before finally going down. I'm surprised the whole country isn't wearing black today.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Another "early out" - posted as a spoiler because I have no idea if it's aired here or not.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Juan Martin Del Potro
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 01-16-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spoiler tags fixed
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Another "early out" - posted as a spoiler because I have no idea if it's aired here or not.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Juan Martin Del Potro
    Yes, I was surprised to see that one yesterday. I usually have the open page running on my computer during the day. Reminds me, I must open it now.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Another 'shocker' from the men's side of things. Really makes me wish the time zone difference wasn't as huge as it is. I just can't figure out when I'm supposed to be watching LIVE.

Florimel likes this.

Another 'shocker' from the men's side of things. Really makes me wish the time zone difference wasn't as huge as it is. I just can't figure out when I'm supposed to be watching LIVE.

I'm surprised, too, but pleased with that outcome, I think.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm surprised that Nole is out, but I think it makes things more interesting. I actually like it when the underdog wins and the wealth gets spread around. I'd love to see someone win who's never won a Grand Slam before.

Melbourne is 19 hours ahead of PST, so quite a lot of what we're seeing on ESPN has already happened, except maybe the stuff airing in the middle of the night. There's live streaming video on the official Australian Open site: Home - Australian Open Tennis Championships 2014 - The Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific - Official Site by IBM
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I wasn't surprised Nole went out. Wawrinka has been playing pretty hot lately, but add that to how many upsets there have been, its been an interesting AO.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

There were a couple more surprises yesterday, but I won't post them here for those who haven't yet watched.

Enjoyed what I was able to stay awake for of the Nadal vs Dmitrov match. I remember it being 3 - Love in the 4th set and figuring Rafa was on his way to the next round, closed my eyes. Luckily the tv turns itself off it the remote doesn't move every now and then!!

The tough part about having a handful of really good players (Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray, etc...) is that two of them will end up on the same side of the draw, making a semi-final possibly more appealing to fans than the final. Usually when Rafa finally gets around to playing against Roger, there's a trophy ceremony to cap things off.
    libgirl2 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread