+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

Huh. Weird. I can't say I think that's a good idea. I think winning a slam should be a hard thing, which means semis and finals in one weekend.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

It still surprises me that the network agreed to it!

I usually work Monday nights but took a vacation day a while back. What a happy coincidence!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

It does seem odd if attendance & viewers watching from home mean anything. Maybe they didn't think they could compete with what was basically the first full day of football.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

But they've had to compete with football for a long time. The weird thing is that CBS is not willing to give up reruns of sitcoms for tennis either apparently. The final starts at 5pm. So many people won't be home from work yet, and CBS is not giving up their own programming. Instead, they are giving up local news, and programs that the local stations choose because there is not CBS programming. It's just weird.

To the Point

I think part of the issue for the players is that way too many years they have ended up playing semi-finals late on a Saturday because of weather and then had a very short turnaround, or it has been delayed until Monday anyway. For the athletes having super quick turnarounds can result in higher risk of injury due to the body not having sufficient time to recover. I can see both sides of this.

FORT Fogey

Because of the turnaround, I can understand why players want more time. But like Critical said, part of the measure of greatness in winning a major is being able to bounce back from a previous match and keep on winning. Rather than extending the tournament by a day, I would have preferred to see the USTA agree to utlize outside courts more often when necessary due to weather. They tend to be hellbent on keeping all matches in the last couple of rounds in Arthur Ashe stadium. While it's an honor to play there, andthey want as many fans as possible to see the big matches, I think it would make more sense to move matches to Armstrong, the grand stand, etc. Allow two semi-final matches to happen at the same time in order to get all matches in rather than planning an extra day in case there is rain. There would still be some limitations - they don't have the equipment for player challenges on all courts. But among the top courts, that would be covered too.

I work from home, so I don't mind the Monday finish. It's a tough choice, but I'd rather they stretch it out this way if it prevents more good players from having to withdraw because of injury.
    I also think they prefer to use the main courts for important matches for those who watch online.

I'm watching right now, so if anyway wants an update on the match, I'll be happy to provide the running scores.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It does feel anti-climactic to have the men's final on a Monday. I always loved when the open had the men's semis sandwiching the women's final on Saturday. It was an EVENT! Now they moved the women to Sunday and then men's final to Monday and it's not such a big deal. This Monday final feels like an afterthought to me

I'm watching the match now, although I'll probably miss the end, unless they start playing A LOT faster. That game a little while ago was INSANE! Did they say it was 54 hits for that one point? Whoever wins is going to really deserve it. That being said, I'm rooting for Novak
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yep, 54 shots! Incredible...

I am also rooting for Novak (although I think Rafa is one of the greats).

+ Reply to Thread