+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

He also has a wife and family now, so tennis is not the only and all consuming thing in his life. He really has nothing left to prove. He's secured his place as one of the sport's all time bests, so I'd be surprised if he's as motivated as he was when he was younger and single.
    Critical likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    He went out in the second round at Wimbledon. So this is the second major in a row he has not made the quarter finals. He has not been to a single major final in 2013, and only one in 2012. When you consider that a few years ago, it was assumed that he'd be in every final, and that anyone on his side of the draw could assume he'd eliminate them, it's a drop. I agree with you that age is the reason for it, and is perfectly understandable. But when you consider the way that Pete Sampras' wife endured all sorts of blame and claims that his game got weak after he got married, and that several other players have endured all sorts of "What's wrong with his game" talk, I think it's time that Federer either endure that talk, or it's accepted that he is no longer a dominant force in the game. It's not a surprise when he loses in a major -- it's happened for 7 of the past 8. I think he's included in talk of the ones likely to win a major these days as a matter of courtesy, not reality.
    But two in a row isn't the same as saying "he's been bounced from enough majors lately." Two is not horrible. Just sayin'. Being in the quarterfinals of every slam for 9 years prior to that isn't something many (any other?) players can boast.

I hate it when people blame the wife. Sampras' game didn't get weak, IMO. He retired after winning the US Open. He did have health issues, which just naturally happens and that had nothing to do with his wife. It's just time.

I'm sure Federer would love to win another slam, but I agree Florimel, that it's probably not a driving need any more. He's secured his place as one of the greats (if not the great) in the sport. No one thought anyone could surpass Sampras, but Fed did.

I guess there's something to be said for going out on top the way Sampras did and maybe some would argue that Federer should have done the same, but I think he just loves playing still and also thinks he could have a shot at one more slam. I, for one, would love to see him win again and make it 18 grand slams.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Oh Critical, you and I may not agree on favorite vs unfavorite players, but I SO agree with you on the wife thing!!!! I hate it!!!! Not only can a person be driven and married, or be distracted and single (there's a host of American players who had great talent by fizzled without wives or before they were married - Ginepri, Blake, Isner ...) but it is SO unfair to the spouse! I can only imagine what kind of pressure it puts on a marriage when you've got a bunch of media types who don't even know the facts blaming a wife for the fact that her husband isn't winning anymore. If a player like Kim Clijsters can get married have a child, and play some of the best tennis of her career, then a man can get married and still be drive. Now, the part about finding the drive to win after you've alreayd broken all the records is a major factor. In team sports, they always talk about how difficult back to back championships is, because once you've got the championship right, a coach has a harder time motivating. The same is true with tennis. If there's no longer anyone in the record books to try to catch up to, then finding drive is tough!

All I can say is wow Serena.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

If Robredo was hoping to do what he'd never done before with Nadal (like he did with Federer), my guess is the disappointment is extra bitter this morning. His record against Rafa stands - he's NEVER beaten him.

Rafa got a little sloppy at times and seemed to be just a little on edge but he's Rafa. He can play that way and still win in straight sets.

He'll have time to rest - next match is Saturday against Gasquet.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

The media is calling this one a 'shocker' but I don't necessarily agree. One of the players involved has a nasty habit of letting a few bad shots ruin the rest of his game.

You don't need to use spoiler tags. The match is over and aired on US TV. If someone hasn't had time to watch or read the news, they need to stay out of the thread.

I'm not surprised Andy lost either. No one in the men's game is that solid right now. Everyone is vulnerable. I think Andy would benefit from a good (or better, if he already has one) sports psychologist.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

We're getting the US Open on 3 different channels, some airing the match in repeat hours later. I know Andy has a lot of fans here, some of whom aren't available to watch in the middle of a Thursday afternoon. I didn't have time for the whole thing myself and I was at home.

I do agree that Andy needs some kind of help with his attitude.

I am surprised how many 6-0 games there have been this tournament. I don't recall seeing so many on both sides.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I was very dissapointed to see the Bryan Brothers lose yesterday. I was REALLY hoping they'd be able to pull off the calendar grand slam. It's kind of appropriate though that they lost to Leander Paes since he's been on the other side of the net for so many of their best matches.

+ Reply to Thread