+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

Was Roddick really the "hero of American tennis"? I wouldn't consider him that - he wasn't a consistent or popular enough player. IMO, there hasn't been one of those in a long while. Maybe since Andre retired.

I see what you're saying though and if that's part of it, then Isner needs to wake up. There are PLENTY of American men over the years who didn't become the big star they maybe could have of should have been. To be the big man in tennis, you need more than just ability - and he really hasn't done that much in career yet. Most people know him as the guy who played that REALLY long match at Wimbledon and it's not like that match was against a major player either. Heck, he could pay his dues, win some slams and still not be "the guy." Look at Jim Courier or Michael Chang. They were always overshadowed by Sampras and Agassi.

Speaking of Jim Courier...I really would prefer Mary Carillo call the men's matches on CBS as well instead of Courier. She is SO much better. I hate that little subtle sexism that seems to say that women should call women's matches, but not men's.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

This was a surprise . . . . .

U.S. Open: Federer bounced in fourth round
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I think he's been bounced from enough majors recently that it should no longer be a surprise. He's just not the dominating force in majors that he used to be.

Has he been out of a slam this early though? I can't think of one....doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I can't remember.

Just looked it up and until recently, he was in the quarters of every slam he played in for nine years running: The Roger Federer we’ve known is gone | For The Win

He's in his thirties, which is when health problems really start taking hold. What begin as inconveniences and things that can be bounced back from in your twenties become career enders in your thirties. I'm sure his back problems are an issue.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

He went out in the second round at Wimbledon. So this is the second major in a row he has not made the quarter finals. He has not been to a single major final in 2013, and only one in 2012. When you consider that a few years ago, it was assumed that he'd be in every final, and that anyone on his side of the draw could assume he'd eliminate them, it's a drop. I agree with you that age is the reason for it, and is perfectly understandable. But when you consider the way that Pete Sampras' wife endured all sorts of blame and claims that his game got weak after he got married, and that several other players have endured all sorts of "What's wrong with his game" talk, I think it's time that Federer either endure that talk, or it's accepted that he is no longer a dominant force in the game. It's not a surprise when he loses in a major -- it's happened for 7 of the past 8. I think he's included in talk of the ones likely to win a major these days as a matter of courtesy, not reality.

My gripe about the whole thing is that they (the media, the announcers, etc) can't seem to just say "Robredo is playing great today". They take on the attitude that it must be Roger playing poorly that's allowing the other guy (no matter who he is) to win.

Bite me!
    libgirl2 and AcookerTV like this.

Having looked at the stats, I stand by my opinion that Robredo beating Federer was a SURPRISE.

They've played ELEVEN times . . . . this was Robredo's FIRST win!

Head-to-Head stats Roger Federer vs. Tommy Robredo at Matchstat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    My gripe about the whole thing is that they (the media, the announcers, etc) can't seem to just say "Robredo is playing great today". They take on the attitude that it must be Roger playing poorly that's allowing the other guy (no matter who he is) to win.

Bite me!
    Robredo played very good and Federer not so good. Fed is slowing down. I think that it always came so easy for him that he might be a bit out of sorts as time is taking its toll and doesn't know what more to do. Look at someone like Hewitt, he always had to scramble and move up a level. He is having a really good tournement.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I think that's a great point Libgirl. The mental game in tennis is huge. Agassi did commercials for a while where he talked about tennis being the only truly solitary sport where you didn't even benefit from coaching between rounds like in boxing. Sometimes we underestimate just how important it is for a player to see things and make adjustments during a match. For many years of his career, so many of the other players believed it was impossible to beat him that Federer walked out on the court with a huge advantage. I remember several years ago when Murray beat him in Cincinnati and the reaction was HUGE. It was like he had just uncovered this deeply held secret that Fed COULD be defeated. In that time, it would make sense that he did not have to really work on the skills of adjusting from an oponent's game in order to win. He's had enough 5 set victories when it looked like he'd lose and has pulled out that we know he CAN do it. But it's possible that the "I'm Roger Federer, people know they can't beat me" belief has run it's course and started to be a disadvantage.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that's a great point Libgirl. The mental game in tennis is huge. Agassi did commercials for a while where he talked about tennis being the only truly solitary sport where you didn't even benefit from coaching between rounds like in boxing. Sometimes we underestimate just how important it is for a player to see things and make adjustments during a match. For many years of his career, so many of the other players believed it was impossible to beat him that Federer walked out on the court with a huge advantage. I remember several years ago when Murray beat him in Cincinnati and the reaction was HUGE. It was like he had just uncovered this deeply held secret that Fed COULD be defeated. In that time, it would make sense that he did not have to really work on the skills of adjusting from an oponent's game in order to win. He's had enough 5 set victories when it looked like he'd lose and has pulled out that we know he CAN do it. But it's possible that the "I'm Roger Federer, people know they can't beat me" belief has run it's course and started to be a disadvantage.
    Exactly. Its not only his body, but his head he has to deal with. The game has changed for him, he is no longer the unbeatable... I really think it started when Nadal started beating him in the GS several years ago, especially Wimbledon.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread