+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

I, too, liked James Blake and will miss him, He just never seemed to be able to raise his game to the next level.

I does look to be an interesting U.S. Open.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

How about Victoria Duval's win over Stosur? Wow! I have to say I had tears in my eyes. Big moment, big stage, great opponent and she did it.
    Florimel likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

That was one of those matches where my emotions were torn - thrilled for Duvall, heartbroken for Stosur. I kind of wish that she could have had her big moment against a top player who isn't as likable as Stosur!

Well Duvall couldn't get past the next round. Too bad.

Funny that Andy Murray and his opponent, Leonardo Mayer were born on the same day.

Am I the only one who thought Lleyton Hewitt had retired?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Nope, I also thought Lleyton had retired. I think it's because he was off for so long dealing with his foot injury. I didn't see the match but read this morning that it was a thriller!

SUPER annoyed that USA doesn't have the US Open any more. I used to watch non-stop over the middle weekend. Now, it's half a day on ESPN or CBS and then everything - including the night matches, which often have major players - moves to the Tennis Channel. Not cool

That Del Potro - Hewitt match was incredible. A total nail-biter!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I prefer USA's coverage of the Open.

I also thought Hewitt retired. Too bad he didn't as I was cheering for Juan Martin. Not a happy night for me. Nadal had a great match and looks solid. Looking forward to Stephens and Williams.

I watched portions of a few prime time matches streaming on the US Open website, but it's not the same. My internet is fast, but there is still stuttering with the picture. Better than nothing, I guess.

Why is it that I don't root for John Isner? Does anyone get kind of a jerk vibe from him? Maybe part of it was the douche-y whining about the crowd not being behind him when he played Monfils. The crowds at Flushing Meadows always want to see a great match and the longer, the better. Plus, Monfils is really fun to watch. I'm not surprised the crowd was rooting for Monfils - they wanted a longer match! I wonder what Isner's friends were doing that caused the chair ref to actually walk over there and talk to them during the match today. McEnroe said he'd never seen that happen before.

FORT Fogey

I don't get a total jerk vibe from Isner but I can understand what you are saying. I think that he assumed that once Roddick went away he'd automatically be handed the American mantel and be considered a hero of American tennis. I can understand that since he is the top American man. But that's not going to come to him unless he consistently wins. Right now I think most people see him as that kid who won the really long Wimbledon match, not as a great player. He needs someone who can force him to develop some skills other than just a serve. Once he can break players rather than relying entirely on holding serve, the fans will come. But American fans are not going to follow by default.

+ Reply to Thread