+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

It's things like this that make me shake my head when people call Federer arrogant:
    Fan's Touching Story Will Make Roger Federer Your Favorite Athlete

IMO, he's one of the good guys.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

It's a wonderful story and an example of him doing something great. Arrogant people can do great things. Heck, arrogant people can even be great people. As one of the people who thinks he's arrogant, I will still point to the way he conducts himself after winning or losing a major as an example of his arrogance. Has he earned the right to be arrogant? Sure. He's a great player. And given men on the tour like him, he's clearly not a bad guy. But he still comes across as very arrogant and not gracious when he finishes a nailbiter of a final and dons a sweater with his number of major wins, or when he "consoles" an Andy Murray who just had his heart broken losing Wimbledon by saying he knows what it's like to lose. Those things may be earned, but they push aside the feelings of his opponent in a way I will continue to think is arrogant. But it's good to know those actions are balanced with good kind actions, proving a person can be arrogant and ungracious at times, but can still be a good man.
    Florimel likes this.

Sorry, I think there's a difference between arrogance and confidence. You have to be very self-confident to play professional tennis. I find Serena Williams to be insanely arrogant and this shows itself in how she behaves on and off the court (ex: when she loses it isn't because the other player out-played her, but because she didn't play to her ability). I've never seen Federer be anything but a gentleman on the court or off. Look at how Jimmy Connors behaved - and still behaves - for a good example of someone who is truly arrogant and, frankly, a class-a jerk.

I guess I don't understand how showing empathy for his competitor makes him arrogant. I highly doubt Andy Murray thought RF was being anything but gracious. That's what you sign up for as a professional athlete. There are great wins and terrible losses and that's just the way it is. There's nothing wrong with being proud of a win. If RF is well-liked on the tour, then that tells me that the other players don't consider him to be arrogant. There have been players in the past who were not well-liked, but Roger isn't one of them.

I'd almost bet that the sweater he wore was a contractual obligation with his sponsor (Nike?).

I guess people see what they want to see. I just strongly disagree with the "arrogant" label in this case. I don't think ANY of the men on the tour can be called arrogant, and that includes Federer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I grew up playing team tennis and competitive tennis. I had a mother who cared more about my sportsmanship than she did my wins. That's where I'm coming from with my assessment of Federer. Other people see it differently and that's fine. I'm just expressing my view. My mom would blast me if I came off the court after a loss saying how poorly I played because my opponent may hear me, and it implied she won because I was bad, not that she was good. I see that kind of behavior in Federer a lot. For instance with the Murray win, you see the comment as being empathetic to Murray. I see it as being rather non empathetic, because he was equations one loss in a final after multiple championships through the years to a loss on what was the best chance Murray had at that point not knowing if he'd have another chance like that, not to mention the weight of a nation on his shoulders. Federerwas trying to pretend they were the same and they were not. I also thought he was trying to make himself likable in the situation, because god forbid he not be loved. I'm not expecting everyone to dislike him just because I don't. But I'm also not going to change my view just because he was kind to a cancer payment. Even other arrogant players like Serena Williams and jimmy Connors have done that.
    Florimel likes this.

I was stunned to read this morning Marion Bartoli is retiring!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Terrific final match today between Isner and Nadal. Nadal won 7-6, 7-6 and Isner beat 3 top ten players. This U.S. open warm-up tournament has been filled with entertaining matches on the men's side. I hope the Open is as entertaining.
    football_chick likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Just read that Blake is retiring after US Open. I always liked him and had hoped he would get a GS breakthrough.

FORT Fogey

I heard that earlier - I was sorry that the US Open website didn't carry his press conference live. I would have liked to have heard it. I've always liked him - a good guy who seemed to both win and lose with class. Though I have to admit that the past few years, I've checked the draws of tournaments wondering if he had retired yet. I hope that he's able to make it through a few rounds so his J-Block can have one final farewell!

I know, its not so much that his retirement is a huge surprise (not like Bartoli's was), but I'll miss him. He always seemed like a class act and the sporting world needs more like that.

+ Reply to Thread