+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

Great match! Well deserved win by Murray.

I missed a lot of action over here in the tennis thread including conversations about Jimmy Connors!!

Andy Murray breaking through is really big. I think Ivan Lendl has helped Andy Murray so much with his confidence and his return of serve and his conditioning. I've said a few times in the past that Andy would have a tough time winning Wimbledon but, after seeing him win the Gold Medal at Wimbledon, I no longer think so at all because that is the closest thing to a dry run Andy is ever going to get and winning his first slam is a huge breakthrough. I do think Andy will have to prove that he can challenge Nole and Fed and Rafa consistently, though, which is a lot easier said than done if those guys are playing at their best.

Here is the latest Rafa news which indicates that Rafa is planning to play at the Australian Open and I would think he would want to play in a couple of tournaments before that and I saw online somewhere that he may play an exhibition in December.

Rafael Nadal cleared for Australian Open

A TEXT message from across the world has lifted the mood of Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley.

Rafael Nadal, the champion sidelined since July with a knee injury, texted Tiley an image of himself stretching before a practice session. Given concerns that the 11-time grand slam champion, who partially tore his patella tendon at Wimbledon, might miss the Australian Open, it was a welcome sight.

More welcome, though, was Nadal's declaration that he would definitely be in Melbourne seeking to better his heroics last January, when he fell to Novak Djokovic in the longest final ever played, a five-set epic that lasted 5hr 53min.

"I showed a picture earlier that he is ready. It is a good reminder to us, him lying on a towel and doing his stretches, that he wants to be here. He loves Australia," Tiley said.

"If you know Rafa Nadal, he will be here. It always surprises what he gets up to. He did text last week and we had direct communication with him and he is planning to be back towards the end of the year and definitely play in the Australian Open."
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Andy Murray breaking through is really big. I think Ivan Lendl has helped Andy Murray so much with his confidence and his return of serve and his conditioning. I've said a few times in the past that Andy would have a tough time winning Wimbledon but, after seeing him win the Gold Medal at Wimbledon, I no longer think so at all because that is the closest thing to a dry run Andy is ever going to get and winning his first slam is a huge breakthrough. I do think Andy will have to prove that he can challenge Nole and Fed and Rafa consistently, though, which is a lot easier said than done if those guys are playing at their best.

Here is the latest Rafa news which indicates that Rafa is planning to play at the Australian Open and I would think he would want to play in a couple of tournaments before that and I saw online somewhere that he may play an exhibition in December.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
    I agree, I think Lendl has been a big help for Andy.

Good news on Rafa, I miss him!
    chrisg likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Just read quite an interesting article regarding Andy Murray and the Sandy Hook school shooting. He survived the Dunblane School massacre in which 16 students were killed.

Tennis Star Andy Murray Remembers Dunblane Shooting Massacre - ABC News

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Anyone watching the Australian Open?

Awesome match between Djokovic and Wawrinka. Nole had me worried. Fifth set went 12 - 10.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I have been watching but the hours are just not good for me. For example there are several upcoming matches I want to see, but they are on when I will be long asleep my time. I am watching what I can watch though.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Tennis has it's moments . . . . .

the ones that make you glad you watch:
    Tennis - ATP World Tour - Australian Open 2013 - Second Thursday Diary

and the ones that make you wonder why you bother:
    Serena Williams Smashes Racket During Loss To Sloane Stephens At Australian Open (VIDEO)

I did catch the end of the Li Na- Sharapova match. I was quite surprised as Maria was steamrolling through the tournament, but it has happened before and Li Na is a fantastic player. I started the Stephens match but saw what direction it was heading and went to bed, plus I was tired.

I'm really cheering for Murray. I so want him to get another GS. Poor guy he gets Fed and Djokovic got Ferrer. Ferrer is a great player, but I saw the writing on the wall with this one.

Ferrer was definitely off his game with Djokovic, but he was with Nishikori too (when it came to the third and final set). However, he certainly took care of Baghdatis, who is a good player in his own right.

Would love to see Nole defeat Federer (finally!) but a win over Murray would be just as good.

I am so thrilled with Murray getting to the final. Was able to catch the last two sets. He just outlasted Roger physically and could keep his game high.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

+ Reply to Thread