+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

honestly forgot it was on - Monday Night Tennis - say what?

Congrats to
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Andy
    on his win.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    honestly forgot it was on - Monday Night Tennis - say what?

Congrats to
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Andy
    on his win.
    I'm just glad both finals went the distance in sets, no blow outs just good competitive play.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

So happy for Murray! I was checking the match on my phone at dinner (it was casual and my friend didn't care ). He's always loved the US Open, so I'm happy it was his first Grand Slam. I'm going to have to go hunt up footage of the end of the match.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

WTG Andy!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So happy for Andy! Now if only he could get Wimbledon next time around.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    So happy for Andy! Now if only he could get Wimbledon next time around.
    I think thats highly possible!!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

A very well deserved win! I do think he can pull of a Wimbledon next year.

FORT Fogey

I still think that Wimbledon is going to be very tough for him. The mental pressure of winning a major is dauting enough. When you couple that with the "you have the hopes and dreams of the entire British empire" talk that gets placed on a Brit playing Wimbledon, they suddenly make it not just any major. I don't think even the Aussies or Americans put that level of pressure on their players for their "home Open"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I still think that Wimbledon is going to be very tough for him. The mental pressure of winning a major is dauting enough. When you couple that with the "you have the hopes and dreams of the entire British empire" talk that gets placed on a Brit playing Wimbledon, they suddenly make it not just any major. I don't think even the Aussies or Americans put that level of pressure on their players for their "home Open"
    Very good point. I remember poor Henman.... year after year.... the pressure.... I am just hoping getting that GS win will make it easier for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that's kind of what the commentators were saying yesterday. Murray has said he loves playing the US Open and one of the reasons is that there isn't all that pressure and expectation like there is for him at Wimbledon. We have had SO MANY great players in this country over the years and really, I think the crowds at the Open really give more support rather than put pressure on the players.

I think Murray might have a better chance an Wimbledon and the other majors now that he's won one. I'm sure after trying for so long and NOT winning, you start to get a mental block about it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread