+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

FORT Fogey

Re: Tennis

I thought both men handled it with amazing class. Del Porto was absolutely perfect in the way he honored the moment for Andy. And I love the way that Andy soaked it all in and was willing to show both his emotion and his appreciation. The only thing I thing was not done well was the way ESPN kept the camera on Brooklyn Decker when she clearly just wanted to cry her eyes out in private
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    That is pretty bad. I was bummed I couldn't watch it due to rain last night and work today. I like JDP and am happy he won, too bad it was against Roddick.
    She's now said it TWICE! I'm sorry, but injuries end careers, not other players. I don't dislike Hannah Storm, but I wish she'd keep her mouth shut and let the tennis experts speak. It's always the generic sports commentators who want to make those big, ridiculous pronouncements.

I don't think there's a point in even thinking Serena isn't going to win this thing. It makes the women's game kind of boring. Even when Sampras was at his height, or Federer (who's looking pretty darned good against Berdych at the moment), you always knew someone could beat them. I mean, it's great for Serena, but I find it boring to watch someone get clobbered 6-0, 6-1 or whatever lopsided score it is, every time. I prefer watching the men's game anyway - there's just more depth in the men's draw right now.

Wow, that Murray-Colic match went FAST after the second set! I was gone for maybe an hour and it was all over by the time I got home! If Federer beats Berdych tonight, then he and Murray play in the semis. It's not all that common that the top 4 seeds make it to the semis and it might actually happen this year.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I'm surprised that the WTA doesn't go into more of a panic over Serena's dominance. A big reason she's still so good is that she's taken so much time off. She's never been intimidated by the rankings or seedlings, and skipped a lot of the smaller tournaments. It's given her longevity, but what happens if more players follow that lead?

Wow, I turned over to watch the DNC and, when I switched back to check on the Federer-Berdych match, it wasn't going so well for Roger. Berdych is up two sets. Happy for him, but I always root for Roger. I hope they stretch it out for 5 sets, whoever wins.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think there's a point in even thinking Serena isn't going to win this thing. It makes the women's game kind of boring. Even when Sampras was at his height, or Federer (who's looking pretty darned good against Berdych at the moment), you always knew someone could beat them. I mean, it's great for Serena, but I find it boring to watch someone get clobbered 6-0, 6-1 or whatever lopsided score it is, every time. I prefer watching the men's game anyway - there's just more depth in the men's draw right now.
    Don't forget the days of Steffi Graf when she was winning everything! Now that bored me to tears, but she was so good.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Don't forget the days of Steffi Graf when she was winning everything! Now that bored me to tears, but she was so good.
    But she got challenged by Martina Navratilova and then by Monica Selles (not to mention Gabby Sabatini and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and several others), so it was never 100% that she would win. I'd prefer Steffi to Serena any day. At least Steffi could serve and volley!

I'm sad for Roger over this loss to Berdych. He'd been playing so well up until now. Still, I'm thrilled for Berdych because it's a huge breakthrough for him. I'll be rooting for him to get to the finals! I love an underdog!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    But she got challenged by Martina Navratilova and then by Monica Selles (not to mention Gabby Sabatini and Arantxa Sanchez Vicario and several others), so it was never 100% that she would win. I'd prefer Steffi to Serena any day. At least Steffi could serve and volley!

I'm sad for Roger over this loss to Berdych. He'd been playing so well up until now. Still, I'm thrilled for Berdych because it's a huge breakthrough for him. I'll be rooting for him to get to the finals! I love an underdog!
    Yes, poor Roger, but he had a pretty good year. Berdych had a well deserved win.

Steffi did get challenged, but Serena has as well. Right now, Serena is on fire and its up to the women to step it up.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Surprised that Roger lost, but I can't go so far as to say it makes me sad. Djokovic is still playing and Tipseravic (another favorite) has done surprisingly well this tournament. Nice!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Surprised that Roger lost, but I can't go so far as to say it makes me sad. Djokovic is still playing and Tipseravic (another favorite) has done surprisingly well this tournament. Nice!
    And Ferrer who just got that first set from Tipseravic

I used to love women's tennis, but I've stopped watching it almost completely, even more because of the shrieks than the predictability. The only thing I do check out is the young ons on the horizone, like Sloane Simpson, to see if there is any talent without shrieks coming along.

Kudos to both Juan Del Potro and Andy Roddick for the excellent match and the admirable behavior of both at the end.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread