+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

I'm pretty sure at least some of Wimbledon was live on HBO because their "Breakfast at Wimbledon" for the finals was always at 6AM PST. Because of the time difference, they're not going to air all Wimbledon live no matter who's airing it. The US Open is the only one we're going to get live coverage of in this country....Oh, unless you count those annoying middle of the night airings of the Australian. There's a case when I'd be happy to see it on delay! Really, I'm happy to see it on delay as long as I can see it at all!

I'll have to call Comcast and see how much Tennis Channel costs. Knowing Comcast, it's not just $2.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Each of the years I remember breakfast at Wimbledon it was on NBC. I remember HBO doing the during the week coverage with recaps at night. But I don't have a great memory so who knows! I really like all the coverage ESPN does. They do ALOT of it live, and sometimes even use both ESPN and ESPN 2 to show more matches. I think the commentators they use also understand the game unlike the CBS guy today who was pronouncing some player names wrong!

That is tempting... I am going to have to find out how much it is. We pay so much already and seem to get so little.

And I know what you mean about the announcers getting the players names wrong. I'm trying to remember what GS it was that they cut off coverage and I was livid.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 09-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I go to usa.org where I can watch some of the later matches on the computer. For example, I'll be able to watch Isner's match online, but not on tv.

I agree about the lack of coverage, especially because I think it's due to the attempt to get people to subscribe to the sports tier. It's not something I'll be coerced into doing. Coverage used to be much better.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I can't imagine that I'll be subscribing to any other channels either, Florimel. I was planning on watching some of the matches online, but my laptop tends to overheat when I watch videos for too long. It completely shut down on me in the middle of an episode of The Wire a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll just check in on the matches from time to time.

Definitely disappointed with the tennis coverage lately. On the weekends, when the broadcast networks get coverage, you could always turn to USA later. There's a big difference between basic cable (USA) and some obscure channel (Tennis) that not many people subscribe to....and that some cable providers don't even offer.

When the opens are on, I like to watch tennis all day every day. This is just not satisfying me!

As for commentators, I think McEnroe is pretty much THE guy right now. So many of them are just sports people vs. tennis people and at times they come off like idiots because they don't know the sport. What I like about tennis commentators in the past is the respect for past players and the importance they place on the history of the sport. So many of these ESPN/CBS sports people don't know jack about tennis beyond Sampras, Agassi, Nadal and Federer. I know Courier is doing some commentating, but he's not up to par yet. He's getting there, but he's still not great.

It's funny, because I never liked McEnroe as a player. He was a great player, but his attitude was a big turn off. I LOVE him as a commentator though. I was really a Connors fan, but off the court, he's a big jerk.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I love McEnroe as a commentator... he is funny, he has some great insight into the players and some great stories of his playing days.

Anyone else having issues with CBS the last two days? The commentary isn't working, even when they show them speaking... only court sounds.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I can't imagine that I'll be subscribing to any other channels either, Florimel. I was planning on watching some of the matches online, but my laptop tends to overheat when I watch videos for too long. It completely shut down on me in the middle of an episode of The Wire a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll just check in on the matches from time to time.

Definitely disappointed with the tennis coverage lately. On the weekends, when the broadcast networks get coverage, you could always turn to USA later. There's a big difference between basic cable (USA) and some obscure channel (Tennis) that not many people subscribe to....and that some cable providers don't even offer.

When the opens are on, I like to watch tennis all day every day. This is just not satisfying me!

As for commentators, I think McEnroe is pretty much THE guy right now. So many of them are just sports people vs. tennis people and at times they come off like idiots because they don't know the sport. What I like about tennis commentators in the past is the respect for past players and the importance they place on the history of the sport. So many of these ESPN/CBS sports people don't know jack about tennis beyond Sampras, Agassi, Nadal and Federer. I know Courier is doing some commentating, but he's not up to par yet. He's getting there, but he's still not great.

It's funny, because I never liked McEnroe as a player. He was a great player, but his attitude was a big turn off. I LOVE him as a commentator though. I was really a Connors fan, but off the court, he's a big jerk.
    McEnroe is definitely the best of the commentators. Like you, he had such an attitude that I could not pull for him when he was competing. I love the fact that he fully acknowledges that he "had his moments" and can laugh about it. Patrick is also a good commentator.....I would say he's a better commentator than he was player.

I absolutely agree about McEnroe as a commentator. Add me to hose who did not like him at all in his younger, tennis brat, playing days. Even now, I find myself not agreeing with some of his opinions, but he is THE most knowledgeable and articulate analyst by far. When he describes a match, or a player's strengths and weaknesses, you know exactly what he's talking about.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Argh! This Murray-Cilic match is killing me! I really need to run out and do errands, but I don't want to miss anything!

Sad for Andy Roddick that he couldn't pull out a win against Del Potro. I think he knew he wasn't going to win the tournament (hence, the retirement!), but it would have been nice to see him get to the semis.

Murray just took the tie break to win the second set. This match may really be getting good!

ETA: Hannah Storm just said that Juan Del Potro "ended Andy Roddick's career." Jesus
    Last edited by Critical; 09-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ETA: Hannah Storm just said that Juan Del Potro "ended Andy Roddick's career." Jesus
    That is pretty bad. I was bummed I couldn't watch it due to rain last night and work today. I like JDP and am happy he won, too bad it was against Roddick.

+ Reply to Thread