+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

Looks like it will be Djokovic vs Federer in the finale in Cincinnati. I have no problem deciding who to cheer for in that match!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Yikes, I forgot the US Open was starting!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I did too! I just happened to stumble across coverage this afternoon. So glad I found it on day 1 instead of day 5!

Remember when USA covered the US Open and there were hours and hours of coverage every day?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I did too! I just happened to stumble across coverage this afternoon. So glad I found it on day 1 instead of day 5!

Remember when USA covered the US Open and there were hours and hours of coverage every day?
    Yes! Last night I even turned on USA and no tennis! I finally figured out ESPN.

Today, on his 30th birthday, Andy Roddick announced his retirement and said that this will be his last tournament. Like Andre Agassi, I think he wanted to end his career at the U.S. Open and he knows he can't complete at the top level anymore. I, for one, willl miss him. He always gave 100% and provided us with some outstanding matches to watch. I wish him well.

Roddick to retire after 2012 US Open | News and Photos | 2012 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event
    football_chick likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Today, on his 30th birthday, Andy Roddick announced his retirement and said that this will be his last tournament. Like Andre Agassi, I think he wanted to end his career at the U.S. Open and he knows he can't complete at the top level anymore. I, for one, willl miss him. He always gave 100% and provided us with some outstanding matches to watch. I wish him well.

Roddick to retire after 2012 US Open | News and Photos | 2012 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event
    I was just going to post. He was so in there for awhile but I think the Wimbledon that he almost beat Fed seemed to really do him in. He has nothing to be ashamed of though, he has a GS and how many players dream of that! I think of Ivanisevic and how that one Wimbledon probably means more to him then a bunch of them.

While I've never been a huge Andy Roddick fan, I'm happy for him that he's playing well so far in the Open. While I doubt he'll make it to the finals, since he's on the same side of the draw as Djokovic, but he may make it to the quarters (where he'd face Nole)

Great match for Federer today too. It's strange to see Roddick retiring because he's 30 (<-----said like that's ancient) when Federer is a year older than Andy. Obviously, Andy's had many more physical problems than Roger. I wasn't a big fan of Sampras (I was an Agassi and Becker girl), but I enjoyed that look back at his career today. He went out in the best possible way for himself. His last professional match was the finals at the US Open when he won. Very cool.

I'm REALLY annoyed that, unless I pay for Tennis Channel or another channel (not sure what TNND is), I can't see tomorrow's night session. WTF!? Both Sharapova and Isner play in the night session tomorrow and I can't watch. Not cool. I guess I'll have to see if the matches are shown live on the US Open site. CBS only has coverage until 3PM my time (PST), which probably just covers the day matches.

Feeling nostalgic for the days when I could watch 12+ hours of US Open tennis a day on USA Network........
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    While I've never been a huge Andy Roddick fan, I'm happy for him that he's playing well so far in the Open. While I doubt he'll make it to the finals, since he's on the same side of the draw as Djokovic, but he may make it to the quarters (where he'd face Nole)

Great match for Federer today too. It's strange to see Roddick retiring because he's 30 (<-----said like that's ancient) when Federer is a year older than Andy. Obviously, Andy's had many more physical problems than Roger. I wasn't a big fan of Sampras (I was an Agassi and Becker girl), but I enjoyed that look back at his career today. He went out in the best possible way for himself. His last professional match was the finals at the US Open when he won. Very cool.

I'm REALLY annoyed that, unless I pay for Tennis Channel or another channel (not sure what TNND is), I can't see tomorrow's night session. WTF!? Both Sharapova and Isner play in the night session tomorrow and I can't watch. Not cool. I guess I'll have to see if the matches are shown live on the US Open site. CBS only has coverage until 3PM my time (PST), which probably just covers the day matches.

Feeling nostalgic for the days when I could watch 12+ hours of US Open tennis a day on USA Network........
    I know what you mean about USA, I am not liking the coverge. And I don't plan on getting the Tennis channel.

Really, who can afford to get the Tennis Channel? I'm sure it's not an a la carte situation. It's probably part of a whole "package" of channels. It's not even like HBO where, when the tournament was over, there was still a lot to watch. I love tennis, but not enough to watch the smaller tournaments regularly enough to justify paying for the Tennis Channel.

I miss the tennis coverage on USA for this open and on HBO for Wimbledon. No one will ever be better at commentating than Arthur Ashe, Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova. That was a dream team!

FORT Fogey

I have the tennis channel. It only costs us $2 a month, and comes with quite a few other sports channels. And they cover a lot more than just the US open. They have coverage for all of the majors so that is how I see a lot of the doubles. They also do recap shows at night or in the morning when main coverage isn't on ESPN so I get to see matches I missed out on live. They also carry world team tennis which I never got to see before, as well as Davis Cup etc. I love it. To me it was a lot tougher when Wimbledon was on HBO, was more expensive, and wasn't live I don't think

+ Reply to Thread