+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NHL Hockey 2010-2011

Re: NHL Hockey 2010-2011

See, most hockey fans don't mind a good scrap. The legendary tough guys were fighters, not kamikaze bombers. A pro knows the time will probably come when he's got to drop his gloves and go toe-to-toe. It's not the same thing as we've been seeing so much of - the vicious sneak hits that are ending careers. Gretzky was derided as needing a "bodyguard" when he played, but these days, Dave Semenko would be just as likely to be the one carried out on a stretcher. Eric Lindros - how big is the guy? 6'5", maybe 220 lbs? Career? Finished. Because of recurrent concussions. He should have had a long and extremely successful career. It's insanity.

I'm not just talking about the Horton hit here, but the ugly hockey we're seeing and the tense, angry atmosphere...I dunno, it almost feels like a perfect storm is brewing and we've only seen a glimpse of how ugly it can get.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I agree - it's a tense atmosphere but I don't believe it's not one-sided against the Canucks. I hate to say you reap what you sow but this all started with Burrows and his juvenile chomp. Sadly, everyone has digressed from there but I don't think we can say both Bruins' wins are because of all the silliness going on. I could point out quite a few errors the Canucks are making, starting with their inability to use their power plays...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

BC better win at home on Friday, if not beantown takes it.There is no doubt in my mind. Tim Thomas is playing fantastic hockey

Oh yeah. If you've been a Canucks fan for as long as I have, you know they have the ability to completely stink it up overnight and lose the focus and play like crap. That's what's lurking in the back's of every fan's mind despite all the success they have had this season. I think the Horton hit really threw them for a loop as well, and their play disintegrated and their power play disappeared! Thomas is standing on his head, and the Bruins are really checking hard. BUT they don't call the Canucks the 'heart attack kids' for nothing. They also have the ability to turn things around and, if they get back to their system tonight, they should play a much much better game. Will they win? I don't know, honestly. They have done such an amazing job this year, finished so much higher than other teams in the standings, and they have definitely played with heart and soul in these playoffs. Win or lose, they are still and always will be my team. I'm so proud of them.

Every team has its share of controversy. Every. Single. One. We're just not used to having the spotlight on us because usually we're out by the end of the first or second round, if we make the playoffs at all!! I think the biggest thing everyone agrees on, including the players as Henrik Sedin said in an interview a couple of days ago, is that the inconsistency of calls, what is ok and what is not, when and where, etc, needs to be fixed. Players on all teams don't know half the time what's a clean hit and what's not because sometimes things get called and sometimes they are let go and nothing is called. There are too many examples to list but I have heard other players say the same thing. It must be difficult, particularly as this is such a fast game. I believe this is what the league is working on right now and I think it will be a good thing to have in place for next year.

I have to admit, I'm one of those who like a good scrap.

IMO the reason we are seeing this ugliness is because of what sweet/Sedin mentioned, inconsistency of calls. It happens all the time, one player gets called for something he shouldn't have because he was egged on by someone else, and the other player didn't get called, so guess what, its payback for that player, and time is not important, sooner or later it will happen.

Its game day!!!!! Change of scenery will be good for the Canucks This is going to be intense hockey, they are both going to want to win this one!

Go Canucks!!!!!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 06-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Well, there's a thunderstorm brewing in my parts, and I think we're going to lose satellite reception soon...which is just as well. The officials are really outdoing themselves tonight. I've already lost count of the bad calls.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Whhhoooo-Hoooooo!

Go Canucks - 60,000 people in the streets celebrating!

This game has taken everything out of me!!! Holy puck!!!!! One win away for the SC! Those ref's were brutal, how obvious, anyone can see how one sided it was.

I'm glad they stuck to their game play, and took this one at home. Thank you Lappy!!! Now, we get to do this all over again Monday night!

Check out the fans out on the street throughout the game.

yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/h3cx2soj Shared by CTVBC

Awesome picture - thanks for sharing! I'm watching CBC coverage and the fans are so excited!

+ Reply to Thread