+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Lebron-athon

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Re: The Lebron-athon

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3978664;
    Was tickled to see that Mr. Coach got slapped with a $100,000 fine for his inappropriateness! I know it's only a drop in the bucket for him, but the embarrassment factor is satisfying.
    That assumes that paying a fine is considered embarassing for an owner such as Gilbert. I think that at this point, Dan Gilbert is aspiring to be another Mark Cuban, and I've always thought that Cuban sees fines as a badge of honor rather than an embarassment. I'm willing to bet that if Dan Gilbert can get more than $100,000 back in ticket sales from his "rallying call" to Cleveland fans, he'll consider it worth it.

I saw that in announcing the fine for Gilbert, David Stern also commented on the way LeBron went about what he did. I was a bit surprised that Stern decided to get into that, but I'm glad he did, because I think what he said was so well spoken.

"With respect to LeBron's departure from Cleveland, a couple of things. One, he was certainly entitled to do that. I think he's both a terrific player and a very good person. Had he asked my advice in advance, I might have suggested that he advise Cleveland at an earlier time than apparently he did that he was leaving, even without announcing where he was going, so we could have eliminated that. I would have advised him not to embark on what has been come known as 'The Decision.' I think that the advice that he received on this was poor. His performance was fine. His honesty and his integrity shine through. But this decision was ill-conceived, badly produced and poorly executed. Those who were interested in it were given our opinion prior to its airing."

David Stern on LeBron James, Dan Gilbert and the CBA - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think it's so much about the money as it is about having been chastized as a brat in front of your public.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

He can go wherever he wants, after all he is a free agent and I don't hold that against him. It's the big production he made out of it and holding out hope when he knew he wasn't going to stay in Cleveland. That's where the ego comes in.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I think Commissioner Stern called it well on both sides of this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Agreed-Stern handled it very well. Gilbert issued another statement, though this one was mainly to address what Jessee Jackson said. I don't think he'll be commenting much more on the Lebron thing. It really would do him no good to keep the venom flowing.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;3979740;
    He can go wherever he wants, after all he is a free agent and I don't hold that against him. It's the big production he made out of it and holding out hope when he knew he wasn't going to stay in Cleveland. That's where the ego comes in.
    The Cleveland Cav's had 7 seasons to get their act together and build a team. The Cav's chose to rely on the meal ticket to get them a championship. Lebron finally realized that and went in search of a job that will lead him toward his goals.

Dan Gilbert should have went after Wade and Bosh like Lebron wanted. Why wait to the last minute and sit on your laurels and just think throwing alot of money at someone is what would keep Lebron around. Money was not the issue. Winning is.

The boys and girls club got donations from the 1 hour show so it is all good in my book.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I fully agree.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Exclusive: LeBron James’ sly campaign to return to Cleveland followed a message to Dan Gilbert - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Exclusive: LeBron Jamesí sly campaign to return to Cleveland followed a message to Dan Gilbert

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports Feb 17, 4:14 pm EST

LeBron James came to Cleveland with an unmistakable mission this week, the beginning of a campaign to soften the fans and ownership on his desire to return to the Cavaliers in 2014. Free agency is forever on his mind, and James is determined to make his hometown want him as much as he wants it again.

This was no accident, no misspeaking, nothing out of context. Before mentioning Thursday his openness to playing in Cleveland again, James months ago had an emissary or two carry that message to the Cavaliersí front office, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. His camp wanted the message delivered to owner Dan Gilbert, sources said, but so far, the response has been silence.

The Heat play the Cavaliers on Friday night in Cleveland, and yes, LeBron has manufactured the drama of his return again. James canít opt out of his contract until after the 2013-2014 season, but he understands that the Cavaliers would have to make a decision to hold back on their rebuild, preserve cap space, and wait on him all over again. He has to convince Gilbert to make the leap of faith, and that includes first working over the fans.

Of his return, James said: ďI think it would be great. It would be fun to play in front of these fans again. I had a lot fun times in my seven years here. Ö Iím here as a Miami Heat player, and Iím happy where I am now, but I donít rule that out in no sense.

ďAnd if I decide to come back, hopefully the fans will accept me.Ē

And then, Friday morning, James tried to play the other side: ďThe fans of Miami shouldnít be worried about anything at this point.Ē

At this point. Make no mistake: James will need to make this easy for Gilbert, make it a public mandate. It promises to be a delicate dance for Gilbert. After all that, how do you welcome him back. And, well, how do you tell that talent, that kind of winning and profit, no?

ďHe has started to lay the groundwork, and heís waiting to see what Dan Gilbertís reaction to it is,Ē one league source with direct knowledge told Yahoo! Sports.

Here we go again, yes. Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio reported a month ago that James had expressed unhappiness in Miami, and that a return was on his mind. Different dynamics are working here too. James loves to be in perpetual recruitment, always wanting to be wanted. LeBron is the MVP of the NBA this season, and yet, he isnít the story. And he likes to be the story. In the middle of Linsanity, James made a bid for some bold headlines Ė and that worked. It always works for him.

Jamesí doubts on his choice of Miami started as soon as his cable television show ended July 8, 2010, sources said, and it wasnít until Gilbert released that hellacious public statement that James knew fully that he would leave Cleveland behind. Clevelandís reaction still haunts him, and he never wanted to be hated there.

Those who know Heat president Pat Riley believe he has to be livid with the past 24 hours, because loyalty is everything to him. The Heat stood with James through the public evisceration of a season, the NBA Finals collapse, and, with three more trips to the playoffs under this contract still awaiting him, it is beyond belief James is publicly discussing his next stop in free agency.

Jamesí camp hasnít heard a word out of Gilbert, nor will they. Under NBA tampering rules, Gilbert isnít allowed to engage them on the matter. Gilbert hired a private law firm and spent several hundred thousand dollars to investigate what he believed to be tampering by Riley and the Heat when James was a Cavalier. He never made any of those findings Ė if there were any Ė public, or turned them over to the league office.

Gilbert hasnít bothered to weigh the pros and cons of such a historic reconciliation, sources said, largely because itís well over two years away. Things change. How James feels tomorrow could be entirely different than how he feels today. Within the Heat, they have to wonder about his investment with them, his commitment. As one league executive briefed on this matter said, ďAt least with Cleveland, this didnít start until the last year, or year and a half. He has a long way to go there. ď

Whatever his desire to win championships, LeBron James lives for the recruitment, lives to be wanted elsewhere. That never changes, and it promises to start the hysteria to 2014 free agency all over again. LeBron James comes home on Friday, and yes, he may yet come home again for good.
    Oh boy, here we go again. I'm not a basketball fan, but live close enough to Cleveland to be surrounded by Cavs fans.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Don't believe it. Why would he want to go to a place that gave very little regard for all that he brought to the city? They need Lebron more than he needs them.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Don't believe it. Why would he want to go to a place that gave very little regard for all that he brought to the city? They need Lebron more than he needs them.
    And he's back! Just like he said he would be, in 2014. Who'd of ever thought it?

(CNN) -- After four years away, King James is sensationally taking his throne back to Cleveland.

LeBron James told Sports Illustrated for a story published Friday that he'll leave the Miami Heat for the Cleveland Cavaliers -- a bombshell return to his home region that he devastated when he left via free agency in 2010.

"I always believed that I'd return to Cleveland and finish my career there," the four-time NBA MVP said in a piece he wrote with SI's Lee Jenkins. "I just didn't know when."

"I looked at other teams," James wrote, "but I wasn't going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy."

Basketball superstar LeBron James, one of the most recognizable athletes in the world, announced Friday, July 11, that he would be returning to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"Cleveland fans are trying to figure out how to unburn their LeBron jerseys," Twitter user nic_johnston44 wrote.

Micky Arison, the Heat owner who helped lure James away in 2010, said on Twitter that he was "shocked & disappointed in today's news."

"However I will never forget what Lebron brought us for 4 years. Thanks for memories @KingJames," Arison's post said.

This week, the Cavaliers made their intentions known when they shipped off Jarrett Jack, Sergey Karasev, Tyler Zeller and a future first-round draft pick to clear the salary cap space necessary to sign James. Numerous reports say that the maximum salary for a veteran of more than 10 years is $20.64 million. James has been in the league 11 years.

James joins a Cavaliers team that has struggled, making no playoffs and picking first three times in the NBA draft since James' departure. Those picks were two-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving, UNLV's Anthony Bennett and University of Kansas phenom Andrew Wiggins, all currently in Cleveland's possession.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast