+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Lebron-athon

Re: The Lebron-athon

Lebron had every right to choose to go to Miami to play with his buddies. The way he did it though was completely immature. You don't annouce on National tv that you are leaving the area you grew up in. It's like he was trying to recreate that press conference he never got to have when he was in highschool where he would have dramatically picked up the hat of the college he was going to go to.

Having lived through watching my local NBA franchise get hijacked to Oklahoma City by a bunch of asses and having watched Alex Rodriguez sign a ridiculous contract with Texas when he was a free agent after the 2000 season (how'd that work out for you after all, Tom Hicks), I understand the realities of pro sports. But, compare the way Lebron handled this to the way Kevin Durant handled his contract extension. If I had my choice between one of those two players to start a franchise with, I'm taking Durant every time. He's mature and grounded. He also didn't make up ridiculous nicknames for himself like "King James."

I'm not saying Dan Gilbert wins any maturity award himself. That letter is the sort of thing he should have written, sat on for twenty four hours, and then revised. He was probably upset that he'd fired the coach and the GM thinking that would be enough to appease Lebron and make him reup. I don't care. He didn't do any favors to his new GM's ability to attract free agents going forward.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

If LeBron felt there was bad blood between he and the Cavs it makes sense that he wouldn't give them a courtesy call and that's entirely his choice. He does seem to have really enjoyed the whole spectacle, though.

At least he's on his way out of town, though, unlike the owner that wrote that letter. And, I agree Mar, he will have a tough time getting quality players to play for him after that ridiculous tirade of a letter which will stay on the Internet forever.

ETA: I don't follow basketball that closely but a friend of mine tutored Pat Riley's son when he was living in Greenwich, CT during his last year with the Knicks. I got a chance to go with my friend to a Knicks practice and sit up close to the Knicks bench at a couple of games and Pat Riley is such an inspirational figure that knows how to make things happen when he puts his mind to it. I wasn't surprised that Riley came out on top in this whole LeBron-athon.
    Last edited by chrisg; 07-12-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

LaBron, being only 25 (but looking 48 ), shouldn't surprise us with his lack of maturity. 25 year olds are not prone to making "big boy" decisions. My son is 25, too, and he is an idiot....a lot of the times. No surprise, there...but I cannot tell him ANYTHING!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Shay, I have no doubt you are a better parent than his mother.. so that being the case, he wouldnt stand a chance on the side of common sense. As anyone here knows his mom is not about to win any parent of the year awards.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

LeBron James booed at Carmelo Anthony's wedding - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

Last Saturday, while you were enjoying bratwursts and s'mores, Carmelo Anthony was marrying LaLa Vasquez, an MTV VJ. Cool weekend plans, I suppose. And since Melo is a big-time NBA baller, he attracted more than a few celebrities to his New York City nuptials. In attendance were Kim Kardashian, Spike Lee, Justin Timberlake and Ludacris, who hopefully provided entertainment during the reception. Oh, and LeBron James(notes), whom you may have heard of.

That's right — LeBron James was in New York City just two days after choosing the Miami Heat in his highly rated one-hour ESPN special. You can imagine how well that went over with Knick fans. From Fox Sports:

[LeBron] James was greeted by a round of loud boos from angry New Yorkers outside the wedding in Cipriani 42nd Street when he arrived with his girlfriend Savannah Brinson, myFOXny.com reported.

Geez, LeBron. Way to almost ruin your friend's wedding by choosing to play in Miami. It's like that old saying: "You made your multi-millon dollar free-agency bed, now get booed by Knick fans in it." Or something like that. LBJ might as well hear the jeers now, since he'll be getting heckled basically everywhere but Miami-Wade County. Better to start with a few scattered New Yorkers than 20,000 rabid Clevelanders who hate his guts.

Of course, if those same classy Knick fans had stuck around a little longer, they might have gotten some good news. According to the New York Post's Marc Berman, attendee Chris Paul(notes) made a pretty interesting speech at the ceremony.

During Carmelo Anthony's wedding Saturday night at Cipriani's on 42nd Street, Chris Paul, the superstar New Orleans point guard, predicted a future Knicks Dream Team. [...]

According to a person who spoke with wedding attendee Amar'e Stoudemire(notes), Paul made the reference during a speech of a potential union of himself, Stoudemire and Anthony, saying, "We'll form our own Big 3," Paul allegedly said.

I'm sure that won't get New York fans' hopes up for the summer of 2012. Surely they'll take this potential joining of forces in stride and not get too upset if it never comes to fruition. At least I hope that's the case because VJs don't grow on trees these days. If things change, it'd be unfortunate for Knicks fans to have to boo Chris Paul for passing Jesse Camp on the street.

the fans need to get over it already. Lebron decided he needed a change of jobs. He waited until his contract was up and he left. That was his right. He is not the sole possession of the city of cleveland or the Cavaliers. Lebron is like most people if yoiur contract is up and your not happy you leave. I just don't know too many people willing to take a pay cut to do so.

I find the booing offensive for someone who worked his but off for that team and nothing to show for it. I am a diehard San 'Diego Charger fan and my LT is gone. I miss him but he needed a change so he could be happy and I wish him nothing but good things even if it is with the Jets. It is a job and I doubt most people would take kindly to people booing them because they made a career change.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Tire Toss Champion, Little Protectors Champion PIMguy's Avatar

I get tired of the "he had a right to" excuse for bad behavior. The right to do something does not nullify a person's responsibility to ask "should I do it." Lebron had the right to do what he did, Gilbert had the right to say what he said (libel and slander not withstanding), Jessie Jackson had the right to say what he has said so far. However, by each of these people exercising their rights they have, in some ways, hurt themselves and others around them. I think Lebron damaged his brand, which supports more people than just himself, as there are a number of people who now think he is a self-serving punk. Gilbert damaged his organization (which again supports more people than himself) with his childish tirade, something he may not recover from as an NBA team owner. And Jessie Jackson has made us all uncomfortable by trying to make this a racial issue rather than what it is, an issue between a spoiled sports star playing games with his fame and a rich sports team owner feeling jilted by his meal ticket. They all had the right to do what they did, but I think the question to ask is should they have done it the way they chose to do it. I would answer NO for all three involved.

The booing was wrong because it was Carmelo's wedding-not another Lebron press conference. The media should not have been asking him questions about a decision that was already made, and the fans should have saved the booing for when Lebron finds his way to the Garden.

Any city that landed him also landed millions of dollars per game for the city. That's what this is all about. Sure, the franchise wants the ring but they also want to raise ticket prices, sell millions of jerseys, etc. I'm no fan of Pat Riley and his practices either but if anybody has a gripe with Lebron they should be happy he landed with Riley. He's not exactly a man who oozes integrity either. I don't knock his coaching ability or his record, but the man is a slimeball.

All in all some of these people are not fans of the game. They're just looking for the opportunity to milk this thing as badly as Lebron milked his decision. For Cleveland fans I understand their pain, but for the others you can't miss what you never had. To them I do say get over it. Sure, teams like the Knicks held back from making deals in previous seasons in order to save and try and get Lebron and another top player. They rolled the dice and crapped out. It had to happen to some of the teams who were in the hunt, since only one could actually get him. It's the business of professional sports. These same people who hate him will be there six years from now scrambling to get him if he has any game left in him.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Was tickled to see that Mr. Coach got slapped with a $100,000 fine for his inappropriateness! I know it's only a drop in the bucket for him, but the embarrassment factor is satisfying.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Cavaliers Owner Gilbert Gets $100,000 Fine for Comments About LeBron James

By Erik Matuszewski - Jul 12, 2010 Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert was fined $100,000 by the National Basketball Association for his comments about LeBron James, who left Cleveland to join the Miami Heat.

NBA Commissioner David Stern disclosed the fine during the league’s owners meetings in Las Vegas.

Gilbert called James’s decision, which was disclosed during a nationally televised program, a “shameful display of selfishness and betrayal.”
    Cavaliers Owner Gilbert Gets $100,000 Fine for Comments About LeBron James - Bloomberg

This isn't a rights issue but it is a matter of degrees issue in terms of behavior. As far as I'm concerned, there are enough athletes getting arrested for actual crimes to not make a big deal about one, out of hundreds, that's self-centered but that letter was over the top ridiculous - which is why the NBA fined the owner and not James.

And the booing was because Knick fans wanted LeBron to come to NYC. They want their team to be competitive which they really haven't been since they were coached by Pat Riley which was literally half a lifetime ago for me. But MsDiva is right. This is sports in the age of free agency and professional sports are ultimately businesses and there really seem to be too many fans that fail to recognize these factors and appear to be constantly looking for excuses to throw stones at athletes and call people nasty names that have excelled in the sports world. I'd rather focus on making something out of my own life, thanks.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast