+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Lebron-athon

Re: The Lebron-athon

As an Ohioan AND Cavs fan here myself, I was disappointed in the way this was done. On tv news last night, they even mentioned that LeBron hadn't even told Cleveland Cavs first.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Agreed. Why didn't Lebron have the decency to pick up the phone and call Dan Gilbert himself?

We have seen a lot of good players in all sections of pro sports leave and go on to bigger things, but most of them took the time to thank the fans and the city. When CC Sabathia (who was huge here) left the Indians, he took the time to write a letter and paid for a full page ad in the Plain Dealer thanking the City of Cleveland and his many fans for supporting him during his time with the Indians. This whole thing with the primetime special and the hype leading up to it shows the lack of maturity that Lebron has, which I always thought was a flaw in him. He showed it during game 5 of the playoffs this season and he showed it in not shaking Dwight Howard's hand 2 years ago when the Orlando Magic beat the Cavs in the playoffs.

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

I have a different take on the Dan Gilbert letter, which I've read a few times now. In the first reading, it came across as rather harsh to me. In latter readings, a lot of the shock wore off, and I didn't think it was nearly as bad.

IMO, that letter has nothing to do with LeBron, and everything to do with ticket sales. As a business owner, Dan Gilbert has enjoyed seven seasons of sold out crowds thanks in large part to LeBron James. He made a business decision, based in some part by feedback being given by James ("Cleveland is the front runner going into it") to put all focus this free agent season into securing James. Now, most of the top players in free agency are gone, many of hte middle guys are gone, and Gilbert has to figure out how to sell tickets. If you can't do it with a winner, then you turn to the next best sell, which is emotion and loyalty.

I think that letter was a sales pitch for tickets next year. It's addressed to the people of Cleveland, who are the ones buying the tickets. It's his way of saying "we may not win as much next year, but we'll come back. Stick with us, and turn out next year to show LeBron the team is loved without him." He had to get it out fast, and with that sort of emotion in order to tap in to the emotion being felt by the people who will buy the tickets as they were feeling it. The only mistake he really made was not providing a link to buy tickets at the bottom of it.

I do agree that Lebron should have reached out to Gilbert personally. I heard on the news this morning that his agent reached out to him (don't know if it was before or after the announcement). That does show some immaturity. Also, without all of the pre signing hype Lebron likely would have come off looking a lot better.

Mr. Met has a point-it does appear to be a battle cry to encourage the city to channel their Lebron hatred into good ticket sales.

Well Lebron just placed a ton of pressure on himself. Losing will not be acceptable now. The Heat by far are still not the best team in the league. I'm sure a ton of guys will sign for less to try and play with those three but they still need to mesh and make it happen. Hope he gets his ring, as his decision has certainly caused a lot of hard feelings.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

I liked Lebron a lot more before all of this.
    I'm not absolving Gilbert. He did go on a bit much.
    But, I do think Lebron should have told him his decision first.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

With first hand knowledge, even without, it's all a business, on both ends, owners and players. Whether it was good business or bad business on either part...we will have to see.

Mr. Gilbert and LeBron are both looking out for their bottom line. I do agree LeBron owed the fans a farewell, but not a lifetime committment.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

frankly I am liking Lebron more as the day goes on. I am sick of the entitlement that Gilbert has. Lebron was a free agent and he has every right to leave the Cavaliers. Gilbert and the Cav's had 7 years to put enough talent around Lebron to get that championship.

the nasty folks burning jersey's need to realize 7 years ago you could have given a cav's jersey away free and not have anyone that wanted it. Lebron James came to town and he brought excitement, ticket sales,fans and participation in the post season.

He has stayed for 7 years and for some petulant owner to write such nasty comments and curse someone who has helped line his pockets for the last 7 years is distasteful. I doubt there is any quality player that would come and play in cleveland now.

Apparently Mr Gilbert thinks Lebron is his own personal property.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown- King James will know that now more than ever. He made some mistakes-that disaster of a press conference that milked this thing to death was the largest mistake. Yes, a small press conference that acknowledged the fans and the organization would have been great. I question, however, how Gilbert would have taken a call from Lebron considering the venom he's spewing now. Maybe if he wasn't the type to go off half cocked the man would have given him a call.

Bottom line, he followed his heart. He didn't go around kicking puppies or stealing candy from babies. Everyone is in an uproar because of the amount of cash this man brings to a city. Understandable that any city would want that, however, that just doesn't factor in to why the individual players play the game. They want a ring. He's rolling the dice and trying to get himself one. He's just one man- a man that got some bad advice as to how to go about bowing gracefully out of a city that he has strong ties to. I guess he's Cleveland's new Art Modell.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Bottom line is Lebron was willing to take a pay cut to leave cleveland. Dan Gilbert knows Lebron wanted to play with Bosh and or Wade. Dan made no attempts to get any help for him. Even iron wears out and Lebron took less money to leave. Good luck getting anyone to come play in the house that Dan destroyed with his poor team management.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast