+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer 2010

Re: World Cup Soccer 2010

I scared my poor dog who was curled up sleeping behind me on my chair when I screamed as Landon scored the goal. I was convinced we were toast until then.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

The U.S. goal that was called back for being offside today certainly looked like it should have counted. Which makes the U.S. winning the group even more impressive, because they did it in spite of some pretty horrific calls!

It was a very close call.
    One angle I saw looked offfside, another didn't.
    Very hard to tell.
    I have to hand it to the linesmen though, they're generally very accurate with the calls.

The U.S. has played well and has been an interesting side to watch.
    They stand a great chance agaisnt Ghana.
    England will be toast going up against Germany.
    I have no hope of them getting any further.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Also wasn't impressed with the ref not calling the Algerian player for throwing an elbow to the jaw of the U.S. player. Kinda looked like a foul to me.

It totally was a foul! In a previous game, a player got red carded for doing the exact same thing. And I would argue that the elbow against Clint was worse, since he actually started to bleed. Normally I wouldn't be angry about the ref missing a foul like this, since refs tend to miss a lot of things. But couple this with the "off-side" on Clint (I don't think he was, he was even) and the now infamous "foul" on the Americans on Edu's goal... yeah, I'm a bit ticked off.

Which made me much happier and more pleasantly surprised when Landon pulled off that amazing goal in stoppage time. I was jumping for joy! It was amazing to see live.

sweetpea, I would agree that these guys are total wusses. Players always seem to be rolling over on the dirt every minute or so! But these guys are stronger than that. Soccer is sort of a dirty sport (and I mean more than the stains and dirt that get on their jerseys), in that gettiing fouled on purpose is an art. It's pretty immoral, but it's expected. If one of the opposing team's guys get red carded, that means they're playing with a man down, which means there's more of a chance to score on their goal. Yeah, it's dirty to lie like that. But personally, I'm pretty used to it by now. The only acting that will truly tick me off is if it's like Keita acting like Kaka hit him in the face in the Ivory Coast vs. Brazil game. I said it already, but I'll say it again: that was ridiculous.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Thankfully the American's pulled it off yesterday, because my Italians sure aren't right now.

ETA This is heartbreaking. Ciao Italia.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 06-24-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Italy is out! And as they said time and time again, "Slovakia wins in its first World Cup as an independent nation.". That detail just adds more pain to Italian fans.

If I had to blame anyone for their shocking loss, it would be the defenders. Their goalkeeper could only do so much! They didn't do much at all.

I'm sad about New Zealand. There goes my random pick from a McDonalds mat. But in all seriousness, it actually is sad to see them go out. I was rooting for them to make it into the knockout round. It would have rounded out their underdog story.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Awww, so sad about New Zealand.

Group F results aside, I enjoyed watching the games of Group E. I didn't watch much of Cameroon vs. Netherlands since their fate was already determined, but from what I saw of it, it was really refreshing to see a game with less foul play than all of the other previous matches. And as for Japan vs. Denmark, go Japan! I think I'm going to start rooting for the Japanese after that particular match. Watching Honda, in particular, was great. I loved seeing his fancy footwork that led to the 3rd and game-clinching goal for them. I actually think they stand a chance against Paraguay, so let's hope they make the quarterfinals.

Chile vs. Spain in a few minutes. Chile doesn't stand much of a chance but I'm still hoping they'll somehow win

+ Reply to Thread