+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer 2010

Re: World Cup Soccer 2010

Fluff, it sounds like you're right -- as far as my tiny brain can wrap around this stuff!

Here's what I pulled from the 2010 FIFA World Cup rules:

The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
    b) goal difference in all group matches;
    c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
    d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
    g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...s_en_14123.pdf

(Article 39, No. 5)

Cool, thanks for finding that, Pandora.
    I hate the idea of drawing lots. Imagine going out of the World Cup like that.

I prefer when goal difference is used ahead of goals scored, I think that's a better indicator of how the entire team played.
    Hopefully with all the tie-breakers the need to draw lots would be unnecessary.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thanks Pandora! ESPN this morning had a box up on the screen saying "If England and the US both win their next matches, there will be a draw to see which team advances." I knew that must be too random to be accurate.

Several articles today saying that FIFA is considering banning that Mali ref who nullified the US goal from the rest of this World Cup. As if that would do any good after the fact. I suppose they're scared he might do something similar in a future match. Much criticism that he'd never refereed an international match before, highest level of competition previously was the Africa Cup. And while referees have to turn in a report to FIFA after the match, they are NOT required to give a reason for calls like the one that negated the US goal.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

I'm gonna be REALLY pissed if that horrific call becomes the reason the U.S. doesn't advance!

Thanks for the info BritLit; very interesting. Every time I watch the replay (glutton for punishment that I am), I see lots of pushing & shoving going on in the penalty area, but whatever the U.S. player(s) did -- which it sounds like we'll never know -- it was hardly the worst of the lot.

Good day for New Zealand. An embarrasing day for the reigning World Cup Champions.

I too cannot comment on the bad call for the U.S or I too will get banned from FORT. Pathetic.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 06-20-2010 at 01:00 PM.

The Italians spent so much time taking dives to the ground trying to draw foul calls against NZ I was thinking they should have brought their kindergarten "Nap-Mats" with them.

And then there is the French. The whole French team refused to practice today in protest over the Coach (really, my great aunt Bessie could do a better job than Domenech) throwing their best striker Anelka off the squad. Then the trainer, Duverne, had a hissy fit and quit. The team director Valentin announced he was fed up and quit as well. So if any of you are amateur soccer players/coaches/trainers and can sing Frere Jacques, you might want to volunteer to help out. I hear the food is good, at least.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 06-20-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

The French team are an embarresment to this sport and to sportsmanship in general for all this drama they are creating within themselves.

4 yrs ago they were runner up, they lost to Italy. Geesh, I feel sorry for their fans.

Woohoo, go New Zealand! This is sort of a random story, but we ate in McDonalds one day in South Africa, and for their paper tray mats, they had the World Cup groups and all of their upcoming matches listed out. I decided to pick my team by closing my eyes and randomly pointing at a country. I ended up landing on New Zealand... yeah, I didn't really expect much out of my pick. But my oh my, the All Whites have done pretty well for themselves, haven't they?
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

CrossingGuard, good for you! I love underdog spirit, it really is a joyous moment for them and watching the expression of the fans, really makes me warm and fuzzy!

Unfortunately, my cousins and I watched a late-night showing of Toy Story 3, so I slept in quite a bit on a Sunday morning, leading me to miss the game. But that's alright, because just reading updates on it is sufficient enough. And I was able to see Winston Reid's amazing last-minute header against Slovakia when it happened. It's amazing to see them become one of the headlining stories of this tournament (and it's a positive story, too, unlike what's happening with the French squad ).

But with that said, New Zealand is still my #2 team, following the Americans, of course. My #3 team would be Bafana Bafana, since going over there has influenced me in rooting for their team. There's a slim chance that they'll be advancing though, so go USA and New Zealand!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread