+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer 2010

Re: World Cup Soccer 2010

Alright! It's the Netherlands vs. Spain in the finale. Should be a good match! It's pretty cool that, whoever ends up winning, we're going to end up with a country who has never won the World Cup before.

I really want to see the Dutch win though (if that was no secret ). I'll be honest, it sort of makes me mad to hear that people think they have been extremely lucky throughout the whole tournament because I feel like that takes away from all they've accomplished. I guess their initial group was easier compared to some, but that goes for other countries as well (Argentina in Group B, Germany in Group D, Spain in Group H). Heck, Group F was supposed to be Italy's group and was touted as the easiet group of them all. So the fact that the Netherlands have won all of their games and didn't crack like the Italians did is no feat to be scoffed at. Plus, their win against in Brazil in the quarterfinals was huge! They won that fair and square, without any questionable calls from the refs.

As for their most recent game with Uruguay, I don't feel like the Uruguayans were robbed. Sneijder's goal was questionable, but I say that Van Persie was pretty leveled with the furthermost defender of Uruguay. Plus, the argument is that it isn't technically off-sides if the questioned player isn't involved in the play. The ball flew past Van Persie and straight into the goal, thus he wasn't involved. Okay, maybe that was lucky.

Let's say Sneijder's goal didn't count. I feel like if this had happened, Uruguay still wouldn't have been able to catch up. Assuming that Robben still scores his header, the Dutch would have been more attentive towards the end of the game with only a 2-1 lead. And if they were more attentive, they wouldn't have conceded that late goal from Uruguay (because they seemed to have lost it for a second when they were feeling confident with a 3-1 lead). I don't know if that makes sense, but I'll just assume that it makes at least a little bit of sense. It's all just speculation anyway.

Well anyway, Dutch for the World Cup! And Sneijder for the Golden Boot!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Its time for the World Cup Soccer party Sunday afternoon! Super bowl, chili, NHL Stanley Cup, pizza/wings, World Cup Soccer, cheese/crackers/asiago-artichoke dip/crusty-bread/kalamato olives/pickles!

FORT Fogey

Go Germany! I wouldn't mind if Uruguay won this match though.
    I am tiring of the commentator defending Suarez. When you win the game the way Uruguay won against Ghana, there is Hell to pay. He did what he did so that his team could advance but he sacrificed his reputation in the process. There is a give and take.

Congrats Germany!

I didn't care either way; I would have been happy for either team. The end of the game was very exciting though, with Forlan hitting the crossbar on a penalty shot. Those Uruguayans sure know how to make the end of their games exciting.

Let's go Dutch!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Here we go! Awwe, we won't be hearing that intro music anymore.

Wow, very nice little intro on CBC, reflecting the past month and on the country!

Good luck to all. I'm going for both teams! Maybe a little more for the Spaniards, because of the eye candy!

ETA: Chris? somebody from Winnipeg Manitoba travelled all over Africa giving soccer balls to the poor kids. how sweet.

EETA: Oh goodness, what a great story.

Kicking around Africa - Winnipeg Free Press
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 07-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.

FORT Fogey

Go Spain! Scoreless game so far!

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gosh, I'm just glad someone finally scored! What a game! So many missed opportunites.

Congrats Spain!!! World Cup Champions!

I always feel so sad to watch the looser in any sport.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 07-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Kao

I am filled with sadness right now.

Console me, someone.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Wow, what a game! IA so many missed opportunities but that made it all the more exciting, I think. Kind of nice not having a special team to root for. Congrats to Spain!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

I think it was a deserving victory from spain. Sorry for the Dutch. i guess 3rd time isn't always a charm

+ Reply to Thread