+ Reply to Thread

Thread: French Open 2010

French Open 2010

I thought I'd start this thread a week early since Rafa Nadal's knees are looking better and this should be a good Grand Slam season with a few potential Rafa-Fed classics ahead.

Brilliant Nadal too strong for Federer

Rafael Nadal proved once again that he will be the man to beat in the French Open later this month after brushing aside world number one Roger Federer in straight sets in the final of the Madrid Masters on Sunday.

Nadal, who will reclaim second place in the world rankings from Novak Djokovic next week, is now out on his own with 18 career Masters victories after sealing a 6-2 7-6 victory over the defending Roland Garros champion.

The top two players in the world had not faced each other for a full 12 months since last year's Madrid final, which Federer won.

However, there never looked any liklihood of history repeating itself this time around as Nadal became the first man in history to win three clay-court titles in a year prior to the French Open, following his recent successes in both Monte Carlo and Rome.

"Winning here at home is a dream," said Nadal after the match. "Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would win all three of these big events."

Nadal is unbeaten on clay this season, with 15 successive victories, and his final victory means he now has 39 career titles to his name.

Federer was warm in his praise of Nadal, but insisted he remained confident about retaining his Roland Garros title.

"I feel I'm really ready for Paris now. I felt a major improvement in my game compared to last week when I came here from Estoril," said the Swiss.

"It's been a wonderful event for me. I'm sorry I couldn't defend my title but Rafa's had an incredible clay-court season, he was just supreme today."
    Brilliant Nadal too strong for Federer - CNN.com

There are a bunch of players that have withdrawn including Kim Clijsters and James Blake. I heard James has a knee injury, I think.

PARIS (AP) -- Reigning U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters has pulled out of the French Open because of a left foot injury.

Other withdrawals announced Friday by the French Tennis Federation include the 2009 men's U.S. Open champion, Juan Martin del Potro, sixth-ranked Nikolay Davydenko and James Blake of the United States.

The 10th-ranked Clijsters tore a muscle in her foot last month while playing a Fed Cup match for Belgium. She'll be replaced at Roland Garros by Stephanie Dubois of Canada.

Other women out of the clay-court Grand Slam tournament: Urszula Radwanska, Sania Mirza, Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Sabine Lisicki.

Men who will miss the tournament include Tommy Haas and Igor Andreev.

The French Open starts May 23.
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...er=rss&emc=rss
    Last edited by chrisg; 05-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Re: French Open 2010

Has anyone seen the outfit Venus Williams is wearing at the French Open? It's this type of corset top which is pretty but she's wearing these body suit type of short shorts under it that make it look like she isn't wearing anything. Here is an article from The Daily Mail and you can click the link to see the photos. Very racy.

Ooh la la! Venus Williams reveals a little too much in lacy burlesque dress at French Open

So tennis whites can be a bit dull. And sports wear is not the most sexy attire around.

And Venus Williams was playing in the French Open in Paris... which might go some way to explain her bizarre choice of outfit in her first match of the tournament.

The 29-year-old player looked as if she had borrowed a negligee from a burlesque troop at the Moulin Rouge.

Looking as if she was about to burst into the can-can at any moment, Venus exhibited her normal flair on the court - athletically reaching for shots and slamming balls past her opponent Patty Schnyder of Swtizerland.

But the lacy, tutu-type attire kept bunching up to reveal her skintight flesh-coloured knickers.
    It gave onlookers more than an eyeful of her shapely derriere.

Venus is becoming renowned for her on-court dress, which she wears to give publicity to her personal clothing line.

The star said she was wanted to create an 'illusion' - she's actually created a bit of a furore.

Last month she wore a similar outfit - a red dress with black trim, minus the lace - at the Madrid Open.

But it's unlikely her colourful outfits will go down well at the All-England tennis club.

Players are expected to wear classic white at Wimbledon.
    Read more: Venus Williams's French Open outfit reveals a little too much | Mail Online
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I'm okay with players getting creative with their outfits, especially for the French and the US, but this one is a little too much. The bodice is WAY too low and the body suit underneath? Just kind of tacky. Plus, it's not very flattering and it doesn't look all that comfortable either. She's one of the top players, but this feels to me like a cheap way to get attention, rather than letting her playing speak for itself.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't see Venus's outfit. I'll have to look for a picture. I like the blue dress that Serena has on today.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Mariner, I posted a link above that has photos. I'm terrible at posting photos or I would have directly posted them, sorry! And I picked that Daily Mail article because it has a few different photos of the dress and side by side photos of her and Patty Schnyder - who she played in the first round - down at the bottom of the article and when you see it like that it, it really drives home the point that Venus really needs to tone it down, I think.

Sorry for the double post but I'm at home watching the coverage now (the replay of Venus' match today just ended) and it doesn't look quite as extreme now to me --maybe I'm getting used to it after the initial shock although it also seems like it was a more cloudy day today in Paris than the day those photos were taken.

I agree with Crit that there are times to show your creativity with fashion and those don't always have to be on the tennis court. I remember a few years ago at the US Open, that Serena had a big bow on her outfit and she kept looking down at it because it was distracting her and then it eventually fell off -- kind of demonstrating that what's cute fashion isn't always what works with athleticism. And Serena's outfit was really cute that year, just impractical, while Venus seems to be really pushing the risque envelope especially with the flesh colored short shorts.

ETA: Andy Roddick seems to be struggling even in the early rounds this year at the French. He played 5 sets in the first round and 4 in the second round, I think. Clay is really far from being a good surface for him but I hope he makes it at least into the second week because I think that will boost his confidence for his better surfaces at Wimbledon and the US Open.
    Last edited by chrisg; 05-28-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Wow, the women's singles draw just got really interesting! Both Williams sisters are out and the only one of the remaining ladies who's won any kind of grand slam title is Sam Stosur, who won doubles at the French and the US several years ago. It's nice to see some other players getting the attention and having some success.

ETA: Not really excited about the men's draw, since Nadal will likely win again and I'm not really a fan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Those remaining matches on the women's side should be interesting. It's always good to see fresh faces and there are four different countries represented in the women's semis and the men's semis which is kind of cool. Venus and Serena are still playing doubles, though, which my DVR picked up when I recorded ESPN2's coverage yesterday but Venus has changed her dress to something more sports appropriate, it seems.

No worries, Critical, on not being a Rafa fan. That leaves me one step closer to having him all to myself. I thought Roger Federer showed a lot of grace in his loss to Soderling. He hasn't lost before the semifinals in a slam in like forever, or I think they said 23 consecutive Grand Slam semi appearances, so it must have been a tough loss for him but he was very gracious on court afterward.

+ Reply to Thread