Closed Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2010

Re: N F L 2010

LT is a piece of crap!

NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor indicted

NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor indicted

36 minutes ago - AP 0:38 | 0 views

Pro football Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor has been indicted by a grand jury on charges of rape, criminal sexual act and sexual abuse in a case involving a 16-year-old girl. Taylor denies the charges.…

To the Point

LT is one messed up man!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hasn't he always had sex issues? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

To the Point

Oh, I think LT has been in the news for a myriad of things. Drugs and sex, at the very least and for a very long time. Supposedly, his heavy drug use started in his second year as a pro.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 06-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Kaye Cowher, wife of former Steelers coach, dies at age 54

'It is clear Kaye touched a lot of lives'
    Saturday, July 24, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
    Bill and Kaye Cowher celebrate the Steelers' Super Bowl XL victory against the Seattle Seahawks, Feb. 6, 2006.

Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers football coach Bill Cowher, died Friday in her native North Carolina after losing a battle with skin cancer. She was 54.

The Cowhers moved to Raleigh, N.C., in 2006, Mr. Cowher's final season coaching the Steelers, and continued to make it their home.

Mr. Cowher issued a statement today in which he called his late wife "the foundation of our family."

"Sadly, my wife Kaye lost her battle with cancer on Friday. Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family," Mr. Cowher said in the statement released to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly.

"Kaye was the rock that we could all lean on in the tough times. She was looked up to by so many people and I cannot say enough about what Kaye meant to our family," the statement continued. "Her memory will never be forgotten. We would like to thank everyone who has kept our family in their thoughts and prayers and for those who have reached out to express their condolences. It is clear that Kaye touched a lot of lives."

Steelers President Arthur J. Rooney, II issued a statement today on behalf of the team:

"We were saddened to learn of the loss of Kaye Cowher. Kaye was a very private person who was very devoted to her family. Kaye made many friends in our organization and our community. She will be missed by the many people whose lives she touched. On behalf of the entire Steeler family, we extend our condolences to Bill, his daughters and their family."

The Cowhers met when they were classmates at North Carolina State University in 1976. Mr. Cowher was on the football team and Mrs. Cowher, the former Kaye Young, and her twin sister, Faye, played basketball.

Tall at 5-foot-11, Mrs. Cowher displayed an inside power game that made her one of the first young women in her home state to receive a college athletic scholarship.

Her teams at North Carolina State went 21-3 and 29-5, respectively, winning the inaugural Atlantic Coast Conference women's basketball title in 1978 with a 9-0 record and ranking No. 3 nationally.

Faye and Kaye later played for the Women's Professional Basketball League, where Mrs. Cowher was among the pioneers in the early days of Title IX. They played one season with the New York Stars and two with the New Jersey Gems, competing against notable stars Carol Blazejowski and Nancy Lieberman.

After the league folded in 1981, she married Mr. Cowher, who was then playing for the Cleveland Browns.
    Martha Rial/Post-Gazette
    Kaye Cowher with daughter Meagan in 2002 in the gym at Fox Chapel.

From Bunn, N.C., where her father initially refused to let his twin daughters play the rough sport of basketball, Mrs. Cowher's mother made it happen.

"The reason we played is because of my mother," Kaye Cowher told the Post-Gazette in 2002. "She said that absolutely, these girls are going to have the opportunity to play."

She also appeared in a Wrigley Doublemint gum commercial with her twin sister.

Mrs. Cowher spent two years at Peace College in Raleigh before transferring to North Carolina State, where she graduated with a bachelor's in sociology in 1978.

At the time of her death she was a member of the North Carolina State Board of Visitors, an honorary body that advises the chancellor and board of trustees.

The Cowhers have three daughters, Meagan, Lauren, and Lindsay, all of whom have been standout basketball players. The oldest two, Meagan and Lauren, played together at Princeton University, where Meagan was the fourth-highest scorer in the program's history and Lauren was a co-captain finishing the 2008-09 season as the team's leading scorer.

The parents often took in their daughters' Tigers games.

"The girls get all their skills from their Mom -- she started to teach them at an early age," Bill once told The Daily Princetonian. "I'm just a spectator who loves the game."

Mrs. Cowher was a constant presence in the press box on Steelers game days and was considered as resolute and steely as her more famous husband.

She was the driving force behind her husband's retirement in 2007, pressing him to move with her and their youngest daughter to North Carolina, help with the commute to basketball games, reunite the nuclear family before their final daughter left the nest. Lindsay last winter completed her freshman season at Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C., where she played sparsely in 14 games.

For the last three years, Mr. Cowher, a Crafton native who attended Carlynton High School, has worked as a studio analyst for CBS Sports on its "NFL Today" show.

The family has requested privacy and will hold a private service Monday in North Carolina.

Memorial contributions may be directed to Family Resources of Pennsylvania, 412)-363-1702 or Family Resources -- Preventing child abuse by strengthening families and neighborhoods.
    Read more: Kaye Cowher, wife of former Steelers coach, dies at age 54
    Wake up and be awesome

Former Oakland Raiders DB Jack Tatum dies at 61 - ESPN

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- He was called the "Assassin."

Jack Tatum was one of the hardest hitters in the NFL, a Pro Bowl safety who intimidated opposing players with bone-jarring tackles that helped make his Oakland Raiders one of the toughest teams of its era.

He's also a player who will always be tied to one of the game's most tragic moments -- a hit in a preseason game that left New England Patriots receiver Darryl Stingley paralyzed from the neck down.

Tatum died Tuesday at age 61 in an Oakland hospital. The cause was a massive heart attack, according to friend and former Ohio State teammate John Hicks. Tatum had battled diabetes and other health problems for years, Hicks said.

The collision with Stingley happened Aug. 12, 1978, at Oakland Coliseum.

Stingley was cutting inside when he lunged for a pass which fell incomplete. Bearing down at full speed from the opposite direction, Tatum met Stingley while the receiver was off balance and leaning forward. Stingley crumpled to the ground, his fourth and fifth vertebrae severed.

Over the years, Stingley would regain limited use of his body, but he spent the rest of his life in an electric wheelchair. He died in 2007.

There were never words of consolation or an apology from Tatum, and the two players never spoke after the hit.

"It was tough on him, too," Hicks said of Tatum. "He wasn't the same person after that [hit]. For years he was almost a recluse."

Tatum said he tried to visit Stingley at an Oakland hospital shortly after the hit but was turned away by Stingley's family.

"It's not so much that Darryl doesn't want to, but it's the people around him," Tatum told the Oakland Tribune in 2004. "So we haven't been able to get through that. Every time we plan something, it gets messed up. Getting to him or him getting back to me, it never happens."

Tatum, though, showed no remorse for his headhunting ways in a 1980 book, "They Call Me Assassin" and the follow-ups "They Still Call Me Assassin: Here We Go Again" in 1989 and "Final Confessions of an NFL Assassin" in 1996.

In the golden age for defensive football and brutally aggressive hits, Jack Tatum earned his "Assassin" nickname, ESPN.com's John Clayton writes. Blog

"Jack was a true Raider champion and a true Raider warrior. ... Jack was the standard bearer and an inspiration for the position of safety throughout college and professional football," the Raiders said in a statement.

After starring for Ohio State under coach Woody Hayes, Tatum was drafted in the first round by the Raiders in 1971. In nine seasons with Oakland, he started 106 of 120 games, had 30 interceptions and helped the Raiders win the 1976 Super Bowl. He played his final season with the Houston Oilers in 1980.

In his third book, he wrote, "I understand why Darryl is considered the victim. But I'll never understand why some people look at me as the villain."

Tatum was not penalized on the play and the NFL took no disciplinary action, but it did tighten its rules on violent hits.

"He wasn't the type of person who was really out trying to maim anybody or hurt anybody," Hall of Famer and former Raiders teammate Willie Brown said. "He was just doing his job. That's the way he played the game."

Despite their lingering resentment, Stingley was gracious in 2003 when he learned Tatum had diabetes and several toes amputated.

"You can't, as a human being, feel happy about something like that happening to another human being," Stingley told The Boston Globe.

Tatum began a charitable group to help kids with diabetes and helped raise more than $1.4 million to fight the disease in the Columbus area.

"He was a good athlete and a good person," Hicks said. "He gave a lot back to the community, but he didn't want a lot said about it."

Ron Riesterer/The Sporting News/ZUMA PressDarryl Stingley, above, never recovered from a collision with Jack Tatum in Aug. 1978, remaining in a wheelchair for the remainder of his life.

Tatum was also involved in "The Immaculate Reception" in the Raiders' 1972 playoff loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. With 22 seconds left, Tatum jarred loose a desperation pass from Terry Bradshaw to Frenchy Fuqua with a trademark hit. The ball bounced off Fuqua's foot and ricocheted into the arms of Steelers running back Franco Harris, who never broke stride and ran 42 yards for the winning touchdown.

Tatum grew up in Passaic, N.J. and had little interest in organized sports until high school. He grew to love football and was offered a scholarship to Ohio State.

Recruited as a running back, Tatum would sneak over to the defensive side to play linebacker. In time, the Ohio State coaches -- particularly secondary coach Lou Holtz -- recognized that Tatum was a natural on defense.

Tatum was a part of the "super sophs" class that led Ohio State to an unbeaten season and the national championship in 1968. He stole the headlines in the Buckeyes' showdown with No. 1 Purdue early in the season, shadowing All-American running back Leroy Keyes in Ohio State's 13-0 upset of the Boilermakers.

In his three years as a starter, Tatum's teams went 27-2 and won two Big Ten titles.

Each week after an Ohio State game, the coaching staff awards the "Jack Tatum hit of the week" award for the hardest tackle or block by a Buckeye.

"We have lost one of our greatest Buckeyes," current Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said in a statement. "When you think of Ohio State defense, the first name that comes to mind is Jack Tatum. His loss touches every era of Ohio State players and fans."

Raiders safety Michael Huff sent a message on Twitter after learning of Tatum's death: "R.I.P. Jack Tatum the assassin. One of the best safetys to ever play this game, his legacy will live forever."

To the Point

Regarding Bill Cowher and his wife's death, I had no idea she had cancer. I was shocked to see the announcement on the local news. I have run into Coach Cowher grocery shopping a couple of times since they have been back in the area. I have to say that he seems like a very pleasant fellow. He made it a point of speaking and being cordial as we were parked beside each other and arriving at the same time. My heart goes out to this family in their time of loss.

The Hall of Fame Game is about to start. Emmitt Smith was amongst the inductees yesterday and tonight the Cowboys are playing the Bengals. I know the Bengals are one of Shay's teams but I don't know if you watch them during the preseason, Shay. It's on NBC if anyone's interested.

TO is now with the Bengals which should make tonight's game interesting.

ETA: The Cowboys traded for Kim Kardashian in the offseason after losing Jessica Simpson in the offseason a year ago. Yay! (Not)
    Last edited by chrisg; 08-08-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

If you would like to see the rest of the Bengals roster just check this site.

The Slammer! | On Stands Now

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

chrisg, thank you for thinking about me! You know I just love me some Bengals! I caught bits and pieces of the game, but it was over before I knew it, dagnabit! I've got a Sunday night tv routine, at this time of the year, and I switch over on commercials. I love T.O. and Ocho Cinco being on the same team. They are like brothers from different mothers. With football starting, life is finally getting super-good!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Closed Thread