Closed Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: N F L 2010

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: N F L 2010

For a little while, it looked like Seattle was going to knock it out Steelers Style and make a comeback, but it wasn't to be. Seahawks were being carried off the field left and right. With their record this year, they really didn't belong in the playoffs anyway.

If it isn't already obvious, I want the Steelers to be in yet another Superbowl. I have a life long love affair with the black and gold, owing to my roots in PA. Lived in central PA for the first 23 years of my life and made the smart choice early on to follow the Steelers over the Eagles.

Not sure what it is about Da Bears (could it be Brian Urlacher - yeah, maybe) but I wanna see them succeed if it can't be my home team.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Sure the Seahawks belonged in the playoffs They won their division. That's the way it works. Then for one week they figured out how this football thing is supposed to work and beat the Who dat Saints.

They came a LONG way this year- they are still Seachickens as far as I am concerned - but they have a LONG way to go.

(for my daughter) da Bears !
    "Know that you are not the master of your days, but the pioneer of their purpose"
    "My policy: no stone throwing regardless of housing situation." moanamarie
    "well, I am on the right side of the grass." brad womack
    "Create your future.You are not a victim of the world but the hero of your own life"

This is hysterical.

The Brett Favre retirement story: A 'Mad Libs' version - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

On Monday morning, the news broke that Brett Favre has once again filed his retirement papers with the NFL. In the interest of expediency, and to help tired sportswriters on this national holiday, Shutdown Corner offers the following "fill-in-the-blank" story template. After hitting up the Yahoo! search engines and discovering how much the old Favre retirement papers stories look like the new ones, we feel it's in everybody's best interest to do it this way from now on.

We know you've heard it before, but Brett Favre appears to be (dead serious in his resolve/throwing darts at a board about/laughing his butt off at how goofy the media is about his) staying retired.

(A source close to Favre/The guy who runs Favre's deer stand/Deanna's lawyers) told (a mass of drooling, dazed reporters/a hysterical Steve Maruicci/John Madden, as he gazed upon his life-sized Favre statue made of pimento cheese) has filed his official retirement papers with the league.

It is thought that the final straw in Favre's decision to retire was (his back-breaking playoff interception against the New York Giants/his back-breaking playoff interception against the New Orleans Saints/the fact that the NFL wouldn't expand the new playoff overtime rules to make any Favre postseason interception illegal), and that there's no turning back for the (future Hall of Famer/future Favre Jeans pitchman/future horrible football broadcaster) this time.

After retiring from the Packers to wind up with the Jets, and retiring from the Jets to go to the Vikings, and retiring from the Vikings to go to the ... um, Vikings, Favre will have to understand that observers won't take his most recent claims seriously -- after all, he filed retirement papers in 2009 as well. As it was then, it may be that the only way to bring him back into the league would be that (his unparalleled thirst for competition cannot be slaked/he needs more settlement money/Mississippi may be changing its community property laws).

Favre has no money on the books; he signed a one-year contract with the (Minnesota Vikings/Saskatchewan Roughriders/Dillon Panthers) for the 2010 season after keeping the NFL world (alive with a sense of mystery/angry with a sense of inevitability/avoiding all NFL news programs from the NFL draft to the preseason) with the ("Will-he-stay-or will he go"/"See-me-feel-me-touch-me-heal-me"/"Dropkick-me-Jesus-through-the-goalposts-of-life") nature of his postseason unpredictability.

So filing retirement papers would take no money off the books for his previous team, nor is it an absolute end to a career that has mixed greatness and absurdity at truly historic levels. He could pull that paper and leave us all hanging if he so chooses.

When asked about the public reaction to his flip-flopping, Favre had this to say: ("I dunno why y'all don't believe me this time. I'm done unless I'm not"/Uhhh ... see ya at the compound in three months, boys!"/"Why is Ed Werder slumped over like that?").

Whether you believe him or not, Favre's stellar play, rouge-ish behavior on and off the field, and constant need for media attention has made him one of this generation's most compelling sports characters, and we may never see his like again once he does finally hang ‘em up.

Whenever THAT may be.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 01-17-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Looking forward to noon PST -- Go, Packers!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

And I'm looking forward to 6:30pm Eastern time. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!
    Wake up and be awesome

FORT Fanatic

Da BEARS!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

And the PACKERS are going to the Super Bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4159664;
    And the PACKERS are going to the Super Bowl!
    Awesome job by the Defense today! So glad the Pack won....

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;4159343;
    And I'm looking forward to 6:30pm Eastern time. HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!
    Congrats to both of our teams, AshleyPSU!

Thank god. I especially enjoyed the Rex Ryan Headset Toss of Disgust.

It should be a good Super Bowl, I am excited!

Closed Thread