Closed Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2010

Re: N F L 2010

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4106731;
    Lately, I've discovered that Michael Vick is very interesting to watch . . .
    Too bad his pit bulls were so interesting to watch, too, for enough lowlifes to make it a profitable venture. (Yeah, like he needed it...)

Yeah, he's a great qback and all, but I still despise the jerk. Sorry. (not really sorry)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm about moving on when a person demonstrates that he has matured and changed, and I think that's what's happening with Michael Vick. I will never forget what he did, and neither will he. I wish him nothing but the best.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Regarding Michael Vick....I'll never forgive him. If the Superbowl was between the Steelers and the Eagles (which could happen) I'd have to root for the Steelers. Rothliesberger is an (alleged) rapist, but Michael Vick is a (confirmed) animal killer.

I don't think it's up to US to forgive him. That's somebody else's job. Personally, I'm OK with leaving it to Him.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Why is it that we expect athletes to be virtuous? It's as if we take their demonstrable athletic gifts and try to imbue a sense of heroism and holiness as a perceptible halo around them. We seem to have greater expectations of them than we do our other heroes. When they fall from that grace, they fall hard (witness Tiger Woods). They fall from grace in a very public way, as opposed to the rest of us. We exact a higher toll from them for the fall than we do for people like Charlie Sheen.

Michael Vick left the projects in 1998 on a football scholarship. He left Virginia Tech for the NFL in his second year. After his Federal conviction on gambling charges, the Falcons did not want him back. He filed for Chapter 7.

This week he is being touted as being, possibly, the best quarterback in the history of football. And he might be. At the very least, he spent his 2-season downtime working hard at his gift.

Football is the modern day blood sport. It has nothing to do with being virtuous. Ancient Roman gladiators and pit bulls have a lot in common: the involuntary fight to the death. NFL players participate voluntarily, but the best of them have the same kind blood lust in the game. The difference is almost negligible. Gifted football players live to play, and they will play whether or not the world rewards them for it. They will do it even if the world pays them no attention, at all.

Michael Vick does not need your forgiveness. He's paid for his crime. Now, he needs to play football. For my team!

Michael Vick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Very well put!

To the Point

Yep, I agree. I really do hope the guy has made some changes in his personal life and, unlike way too many, can keep himself out of trouble. He's done his time and doesn't owe me anything. The game this week reminded everyone of why he was such a hot property. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4106513;
    I think Jason Garrett mixed it up a lot against the Giants and that must have messed with their game plan based upon how the Cowboys have played in previous weeks, Missy. And I know you read the WSJ online, but just wanted to post this article in case you didn't see it. It's pretty long but would love to hear your thoughts on it if you have the time.

Big Heads or Just a Bad Week? - WSJ.com
    Thanks chrisg! I was deep in interview prep on Monday so I actually didn't read much of the sports section (although I meant to ask you, did you see the article where they timed the amount of time the hosts on each of the pregame shows spend laughing? Only the WSJ.).

I think there are some great points in the article. I'll be curious to see how Perry Fewell responds to the troubles the defense has had the last couple weeks and I think Eli was alluding to people not running the right routes (Nicks on that INT in the end zone comes to mind) and making mental mistakes. The offense is starting to get hit with injuries, both the line and the receiving corps, so I wonder how that plays out. I'm sure Eli's feeling Steve Smith's absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4108199;
    This week he is being touted as being, possibly, the best quarterback in the history of football. And he might be.
    The best quarterback in the history of football? Who is making that argument? (Actually, with the ever-shrinking attention span of our media, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

Quarterback who is playing the best in the league right now, maybe. But this probably won't go down as even the best single season by a quarterback (I don't think he'll come out ahead of Tom Brady's 2007 season, for one). Through six games, this is his best season by a wide, wide margin and with the numbers he's accumulated so far in his career, he'd need two rings at the absolute minimum to even enter the conversation. He's playing better now than he was before he went to jail, sure, but to crown him the best player in the history of football based on six (really, five) games of one season is jumping the gun to put it mildly.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4108609;
    The best quarterback in the history of football? Who is making that argument? (Actually, with the ever-shrinking attention span of our media, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

Quarterback who is playing the best in the league right now, maybe. But this probably won't go down as even the best single season by a quarterback (I don't think he'll come out ahead of Tom Brady's 2007 season, for one). Through six games, this is his best season by a wide, wide margin and with the numbers he's accumulated so far in his career, he'd need two rings at the absolute minimum to even enter the conversation. He's playing better now than he was before he went to jail, sure, but to crown him the best player in the history of football based on six (really, five) games of one season is jumping the gun to put it mildly.
    Personally, I do think it's hyperbole based on his record smashing performance on Monday night. Sportswriters and commentators are over-the-top gushing over him.

I have seen and heard the "best QB in history" speculation all week by sports columnists, sports radio pundits, and on the web. People are raving about him.

There is never unanimous agreement about such things, anyway. But I think most of us would have a shortlist that doesn't include Vick. Mine would be: Johnny Unitas, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach and Dan Marino.

Here are a couple of URLs I'd consider represtative of what I'm describing. I'm sure you could find many more if you want to research it.

Michael Vick is the best Quarterback in the NFL. Click Here to Disagree. - Deep End

NFL Rankings: Who Is the Best Black Quarterback of All Time? | Bleacher Report
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fanatic

It is the same in every sport. The title of the "Best" now goes to who preformed best most recently. And when that doesnt apply they (sports journalists) then tag the "best" title on the most contraversial.

How else does Jerry Rice come out as the best NFL player of all time. Gimmie a break. Wide recievers in general are so overrated by the media. Seriously, they catch a ball. Not tacklers, not passers. They run the assigned route and CATCH the damn ball!

Closed Thread