Closed Thread
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2010

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: N F L 2010

Bengals playing the Colts tomorrow. Oh, woe is me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25;4104258;
    Brett Favre had stated (again) that he plans to retire (again) at the end of this season. Yeah right!! I'll believe it when the season starts and he's not under center. He'll do anything to keep his name in the papers. What a diva.
    Didn't Montana do something similar back in the day? I seem to remember him retiring, then coming back, then retiring... etc. Once his knees were too far gone to play, he finally let the game go.
    Yup, with donuts!!

And the Giants laid a major egg. Oh well, I think it's a wakeup call that they badly needed-- they can't keep overcoming the turnovers, etc. Eagles next week, let's see if they get it back together.

I'm starting to get concerned about the defense. They haven't been getting to the quarterback as much as they were, and they need to keep bringing the pressure.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4105130;
    Didn't Montana do something similar back in the day? I seem to remember him retiring, then coming back, then retiring... etc. Once his knees were too far gone to play, he finally let the game go.
    No, not really. Montana wanted a long term contract and the 49ers wouldn't give it to him. He left and played 1 season with the Chiefs. He retired after that...as a 49er. He went into the Hall of Fame as a 49er. Favre is a diva in a league of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4105130;
    You might be thinking of Michael Jordan, Bug. Jordan pretty famously retired and unretired and then retired and unretired again.

And I hardly consider someone that has played with the documented injuries Favre has a diva. Nearly 20 years of football and having never once missed a start. Incredibly un-diva like as far as I'm concerned. There are absolutely valid reasons upon which to criticize Brett Favre and he's even earned some of the jokes about him recently but I sincerely doubt he needs to keep his name in the papers considering he has played two weeks in a row after sustaining injuries that virtually any other player would take time off after individually -- much less both.

I also strongly disagree with the notion that Brett Favre is 'running' the Vikings which would clearly include running the defense and special teams. He would probably like to call his own plays which is not unprecedented and I would have much more faith in his play calling ability than a seeming dufus like Brad Childress although I am not particularly familiar with the Vikings' offensive coordinator so I reserve comment where that is concerned.

I said last year that I thought Favre would play one more year and said a couple of weeks ago - before he did - that this would be it. That assessment comes from years of following football quite carefully. And when he does retire, Brett Favre will be remembered as one of the greatest football players to ever play the game and rightfully so. He was just named number 20 on NFL Network's top 100 players of all time.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4105589;
    And the Giants laid a major egg. Oh well, I think it's a wakeup call that they badly needed-- they can't keep overcoming the turnovers, etc. Eagles next week, let's see if they get it back together.

I'm starting to get concerned about the defense. They haven't been getting to the quarterback as much as they were, and they need to keep bringing the pressure.
    I think Jason Garrett mixed it up a lot against the Giants and that must have messed with their game plan based upon how the Cowboys have played in previous weeks, Missy. And I know you read the WSJ online, but just wanted to post this article in case you didn't see it. It's pretty long but would love to hear your thoughts on it if you have the time.

Big Heads or Just a Bad Week? After a Dallas Drubbing, the Giants Search for Reasons and Look to Next Week.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.— For a month now, as the Giants have racked up wins, as the football punditry has nearly universally anointed them the NFC's best, lineman Rich Seubert has kept going back to the same line. The Giants' longest-tenured player keeps saying, "It's a week-to-week league."

This week, the Giants sure have to hope he's right.

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant went over the top of Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas in Sunday's game at the New Meadowlands Stadium.
    .The easy explanation for the 33-20 pounding the Cowboys inflicted Sunday would be that the Giants got a little overconfident and slept on a 1-7 team. The more unpalatable one is that the Cowboys exposed some very tangible weaknesses in the now 6-3 Giants.

"We played poorly. We played poorly in a lot of areas and gave up too many big plays as a result of it—things we haven't done all season long," coach Tom Coughlin said, seeming to chalk up the loss to just one uncharacteristically lousy day.

But then he almost seemed to hedge, saying, "Now I'm not going to go the route of 'uncharacteristic.' You deal with facts, and the facts are we didn't play very well."

Monday, the Giants were hesitant to choose one or the other either. Hearing the word "overconfidence," linebacker Jonathan Goff shook his head and said, "That wasn't it." Safety Deon Grant angrily said he's never sensed complacency in this Giants locker room, and that in his offering of the team's pre-game prayer Sunday, receiver Hakeem Nicks had specifically said, "God, thank you for keeping us humble and I ask you to continue to keep us humble."

"That's our mentality," Mr. Grant said Monday.

But at the same time, Giants on both sides of the locker room also acknowledged that something was missing Sunday. Tackle Chris Canty repeatedly said the Giants didn't have the same energy as in previous weeks and quarterback Eli Manning frankly said,"You can't be so confident you're not preparing."

Some of that produced an obviously unusual net, like the 10 penalties ultimately whistled on the offense (not all were accepted). Two—both of which negated touchdowns—were by linemen playing their first games of the season. One was by a rookie lineman in his first significant action.

And yet, the Giants offense also had been living a bit on the edge lately. And not just because of their 25 turnovers.

"There have been some things that we've gotten away with, not just in the turnover aspect. Just some things that guys are kind of doing the wrong thing here and there, kind of not seen maybe to the public eye but known in the locker room," Mr. Manning said. "We got caught on a few of them yesterday."

The defense also suffered the same. After five weeks of lights-out defense—and the knocking out of five quarterbacks—the Giants didn't get a significant pass rush off for a second consecutive week. Mr. Coughlin acknowledged that Dallas employed many of the three-step drops, bubble screens and max protections that Seattle had used the week before.

End Justin Tuck openly said "there are weaknesses in every defense," but still refused to say teams have figured out the Giants'. His team, he said, "just needs to play better.…What we saw on film is very correctable."

Similarly, although the Cowboys amassed seven plays longer than 20 yards—and four longer than 40—Mr. Grant insisted that doesn't translate to a weak secondary whenever the pass rush is off. Pointing to Dez Bryant's first-quarter touchdown, scored while against one-on-one coverage with corner Terrell Thomas, he said Mr. Thomas tripped. And that in the same sort of one-on-one coverage a week ago in Seattle against a bigger receiver in Mike Williams, "Terrell came up with the interception. That's not something that's hard to be fixed."

Still, as the Giants ready for Philadelphia, they do it undermanned.

Mr. Coughlin didn't sound optimistic when discussing the possible return of either center Shaun O'Hara or left tackle David Diehl, both of whom missed Sunday's game.

Steve Smith, their most veteran receiver, a reigning Pro Bowler and Eli Manning's most reliable target, will almost assuredly miss a second game with the partially torn pectoral muscle he suffered last week in practice. Further thinning Mr. Manning's receiving corps: Ramses Barden, who Mr. Coughlin said suffered "a significant ligament injury" and a fracture in his left ankle.

The second-year receiver, who was just starting to come on, was hurt trying to out-jump Dallas corner Orlando Scandrick in Sunday's second quarter. Mr. Coughlin said a return this season is "unlikely as of now," returner/receiver Darius Reynaud is unlikely to be fully recovered from a three week old hamstring injury and the Giants will absolutely have to sign a new wideout this week.

Which makes it all the more vital that the Giants remember exactly what Mr. Seubert has been saying, that one week doesn't bleed to the next.

"One game, done, move forward," Mr. Grant said. "And get back to what we were doing."
    Big Heads or Just a Bad Week? - WSJ.com
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lately, I've discovered that Michael Vick is very interesting to watch. Last night, I saw part of the Eagles' game where they beat the Redskins 59-28. I see a changed man. He threw for an 88 yard touchdown strike (to DeSean Jackson) on the first play; he threw 3 more touchdowns; and ran 2 touchdowns, himself; he threw for 333 passing yards. This was a record-setting game. I will be watching him more and more, I think. This game was a history making game! He made bad decisions earlier in his life, went to prison and did his time, and it looks like he is on to the next chapter of his life. Good for him!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4106731;
    Lately, I've discovered that Michael Vick is very interesting to watch. Last night, I saw part of the Eagles' game where they beat the Redskins 59-28. I see a changed man. He threw for an 88 yard touchdown strike (to DeSean Jackson) on the first play; he threw 3 more touchdowns; and ran 2 touchdowns, himself; he threw for 333 passing yards. This was a record-setting game. I will be watching him more and more, I think. This game was a history making game! He made bad decisions earlier in his life, went to prison and did his time, and it looks like he is on to the next chapter of his life. Good for him!
    What a game! I hope the Eagles wise up and contract with him for what he's worth. I'd like to see him starting next season!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fanatic

Watching Vick last night was yet another reason that I always give so many second chances to people. Vick is such atalented football player. I hope with all my heart that he sees the error of his past ways and gets his personal life together. Doing what he did to animals is horrible.

I do hope he is rewarded with a large NFL contract. And when he gets that contract, not only does he get himself out of debt, he also helps the sector that he hurt.

I wish the NFL would insist on some of these young kids attending some sort of life class befoe they sign these huge contracts. Twenty million dollars should help not hurt so many of them.

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed watching Michael Vick play last night. That 88 yard TD at the beginning of the game was awesome!

A lot of teams would love to have him at QB but I'm pretty sure he'll show loyalty to Philly since they were the ones who gave him a shot.

Closed Thread