Closed Thread
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: N F L 2010

Re: N F L 2010

I don't know what to think about my Seahawks. If Olindo Mare gets hurt, we are toast. Yesterday he was credited with 5 field goals but actually made 9. Three of them were voided because of Seahawk penalties including one incredible sequence where he made 31, 41, and 51 yard field goals before the 51 yarder actually counted. Another was taken off the board because an Arizona penalty gave us a first down.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

... and then there are the Chargers, who keep finding new ways to give away games ...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4090466;
    I'm glad you had a fun time in NYC in spite of lousy weather, daddyzgirl. I've been to the new Meadowlands for Jets games since my boyfriend has a good friend who works in the Jets' front office. And I'm glad to hear the Giant fans were nice to you. They're not always so nice to Cowboy fans even outside of the Meadowlands! I wore my Cowboys cap to run out to Grey's Papaya last night and people said mean things to me!! I told them that we're a pathetic 1-4 and to leave us alone!
    That's so cool, the closest I'm getting to the new Meadowlands this year is, well, I guess the Izod Center for the Duke-Butler rematch. I'll have to bring my binoculars and gaze from the car

New Yorkers aren't kind to fans of their rivals! I think on some level, my sister will always be traumatized from the time she wore a Red Sox hat to Yankee Stadium... probably not a good idea, sure, but she was maybe 5!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4090466;
    I'm dreading tonight's Cowboys-Giants game. Regarding the Cowboys downward spiral, I place much of the blame at Jerry Jones' feet. He is a total egomaniac who can't stand having a strong coach coach the team like Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells, so he hires weak coaches that don't interfere with him but then also don't discipline the players. The Cowboys do have tremendous talent but just no discipline. They've had crazy penalties and turnovers this year. The Giants can have a game like that but then Coach Coughlin comes in and reads them the riot act. Don't you think that's a major difference between the Cowboys and Giants, Missy?
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't have a great feeling about tonight's game either.

Yes, discipline is a big problem for the Cowboys and I've certainly never felt that Wade Phillips was a good coach, either. Jerry Jones is the bigger problem here-- he'll swear that he won't get involved with the Parcellses and the Johnsons of the world, but he just can't help himself. He'll go to more of a disciplinarian type of coach next year, who will last two to three years. (Jones also makes personnel decisions that make the head coach's job even more difficult. The Randy Moss Era in Dallas seems inevitable to me.)

Coughlin was a much-needed step up in discipline after Jim Fassel, although he came on way too strong at first (arriving four minutes before the start of a meeting = late). That Superbowl season was the big turning point for him.

Please tell me Jon Gruden didn't call Justin Tuck "Jason Duff." Please tell me I misheard that.

My head is about to explode. The Giants' special teams unit could not cover a toddler in a playpen. At least Dodge is starting to settle in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4090489;
    ... and then there are the Chargers, who keep finding new ways to give away games ...
    I'm sorry, Ellen-- I watched the Chargers-Pats game yesterday, and I see what you mean about that.

Edit: JUSTIN Tuck, Jon. JUSTIN. Not Jason.

chrisg, I'm sorry about Romo. That was bad news the Cowboys didn't need.

Matt Hasselbeck might want to consult with Matt Moore, Jay Cutler, Todd Collins, Shaun Hill, or Tony Romo before the November 7th game.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 10-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Did he call Justin that? I missed it. I always call him Jason by mistake instead of Justin, too, though! It's like Justin Tuck has too many T sounds too close together.

Poor Tony. He looks particularly sad walking off the field at the end of the game, now. I don't think the Cowboys were making it to the playoffs at this rate, though.

I remember hearing that Coughlin started out being way too strict with the Giant players at first and then he toned it down and even took them out for a bowling night - and that was the year they won the Superbowl, I think. Wade Phillips is pretty much useless but - you're exactly right, Missy - that's the way Jerry Jones wants it.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4090773;
    Did he call Justin that? I missed it. I always call him Jason by mistake instead of Justin, too, though! It's like Justin Tuck has too many T sounds too close together.

Poor Tony. He looks particularly sad walking off the field at the end of the game, now. I don't think the Cowboys were making it to the playoffs at this rate, though.

I remember hearing that Coughlin started out being way too strict with the Giant players at first and then he toned it down and even took them out for a bowling night - and that was the year they won the Superbowl, I think. Wade Phillips is pretty much useless but - you're exactly right, Missy - that's the way Jerry Jones wants it.
    Jerry Jones needs to realize, and doesn't, that he cannot buy himself the ability to coach a team. Money can buy you a team, but not the acumen required to coach a successful team.

"We seemed to have a let down when Tony went out." -Wade Phillips REALLY??? You don't say! Why might that be?! And as I continue to sit here and listen to his postgame, he sounds like the lights are on with no one at home.

Tiki threw Coughlin under the bus, or more like the departures lane at the Port Authority bus terminal, because he complained about him at every chance he got. Strahan was also pretty vocal, but if I remember correctly, Coughlin talked to some of the more senior players before the season, realized he needed to loosen up. They did go bowling during training camp and also that was The Season of the T-Shirt... the first one said, "Talk is cheap. Play the game."

Bradshaw and Jacobs need the Tiki treatment. Eli must be leading the league in tipped balls turned INTs. The first and fourth quarters were hideous, and the middle two were dominating. The Giants need to work on consistency.

I just saw the schedule again and remembered that this was the Giants' first division game, and they play the Cowboys again before they play either of the Eagles or Redskins. Weird schedule.

So, who here thinks that Favre will get the necessary injection and play in some sort of boot this weekend?
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 10-26-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4090778;
    Tiki threw Coughlin under the bus, or more like the departures lane at the Port Authority bus terminal, because he complained about him at every chance he got. Strahan was also pretty vocal, but if I remember correctly, Coughlin talked to some of the more senior players before the season, realized he needed to loosen up. They did go bowling during training camp and also that was The Season of the T-Shirt... the first one said, "Talk is cheap. Play the game."

Bradshaw and Jacobs need the Tiki treatment. Eli must be leading the league in tipped balls turned INTs. The first and fourth quarters were hideous, and the middle two were dominating. The Giants need to work on consistency.

I just saw the schedule again and remembered that this was the Giants' first division game, and they play the Cowboys again before they play either of the Eagles or Redskins. Weird schedule.

So, who here thinks that Favre will get the necessary injection and play in some sort of boot this weekend?
    Tiki is annoying to me now even though I really liked him as a player. He was booed at the ring of honor ceremony! What do you think of Tiki's post-player actions, Missy?

I think most of Eli's interceptions have been tipped balls. Last year too, it seemed like. Every time I hear someone mention his interceptions, I say that.

And this is a weird schedule for the Giants this year. The Giants-Cowboys first game is almost always in September and the Giants have a really late first bye this year too. And I didn't even realize that they hadn't played the Redskins or Eagles until you said that.

I predict that Brett is going to play even if they have to wheel him out in a wheelchair right up to the first offensive huddle!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

I feel the same way about Tiki-- liked him until his last season. Meanwhile at the same time, Strahan was going through an acrimonious divorce, training camp holdouts, you name it. I thought Tiki was made for a broadcast booth, too. Had no idea what Strahan would do. Boy was I wrong! I thought it said a lot that Strahan came back and decided to work with Coughlin rather than complaining a la Tiki, and I think his personality is a good fit for broadcasting-- he has one. Tiki is as dull as dishwater, although he is very well-spoken. I hate the NBC Pre-Game Show with a fiery passion (I used to love NFL Primetime on ESPN and was crushed when NBC's contract forced it off), so maybe there's some guilt by association, but in general Tiki left a bad taste in my mouth when he retired, and he hasn't done much to change that.

I was totally mistaken about Tiki and Michael and their broadcast abilities too. Michael turned out to have so much charisma and Tiki not really at all but when they were players it seemed like Tiki had more of an engaging personality. And did you hear about the whole scandal with Tiki at the Summer Olympics, Missy? The NBC pre-game show is pretty bad. I really feel for Tony Dungy being stuck on there but I guess he also contributes to it being a little boring. I'm so glad they got rid of the ever-annoying Keith Olbermann though.

The word on Tony Romo is that he doesn't need surgery but will be out 6-8 weeks. I'm thinking with no surgery, Brett Favre would just slap some tape on that and be good to go.

That's wild about all the field goal kicking for the Seahawks, Mar. A lot of kickers are really falling down on the job this year, though, so at least he's reliable and, knock on wood, he won't get hurt until the offense can start scoring more touchdowns. And they're at the top of the NFC West.

And sorry about your Chargers, Ellen. The Packers still have some life, left, though. Did you watch the Vikings-Packers? And we have to hear what you think about Brett this week: Will he play? And what does LB think about our Brett question of the week? Also sorry to see the Bengals aren't doing well, Shay. That might be the curse of TO. At least the Colts are doing better although I just looked and that's a really tough division this year.

Where's Florimel? We need her to come in talk about how well the Jets are doing since she's probably sad about the Yankees. And daddyzgirl's Lions won a game a few weeks ago and we didn't celebrate with her! Hang in there, daddyzgirl!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;4091497;
    ...And sorry about your Chargers, Ellen. The Packers still have some life, left, though. Did you watch the Vikings-Packers? And we have to hear what you think about Brett this week: Will he play?...
    LOVED watching the Vikings @ Packers and seeing a Packers victory at Lambeau! It was a crazy close game up to the end, and I think, for all Packer fans, watching the adrenaline-producing, yelling-inducing, heart-pounding Packers game counted as cardio. I thought the post-game hug between Favre and Rodgers was very sweet. (But I wonder what Brett whispered in Aaron's ear: "What's your cell phone number, man? Got some pix to send.")

Back before Brett's midlife crisis, he played some of his best games with a broken thumb. I fully expect him to slap some duct tape on his ankle and try to play, although Childress may duct-tape Brett to his locker. I guess we'll see.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Closed Thread