+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball 2010

Major League Baseball 2010

Opening Night! Red Sox over Yanks 9-7

I want to adopt this little guy
    Video: 5-year-old Joshua Sacco fires up Red Sox, Fenway faithful with anti-Yankees style Herb Brooks' 'Miracle on Ice' speech | Sports - MassLive.com
    You have to hand it to whoever came up with the idea of bringing 5-year-old Joshua Sacco to Fenway Park in Boston on Sunday night.

Prior to the Red Sox-Yankees season opener, Sacco delivered a new edition of his version of the "great moments are born from great opportunities" speech 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks gave to his team before its "Miracle on Ice" win over the Soviet Union.

Sacco, whose rendition of Brooks' speech was a YouTube sensation, substituted "Yankees" for "Soviets" - much to the delight of Red Sox Opening Day fans.

Re: Major League Baseball 2010

Yankees win opening series 2 out 3!!!!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3873133;

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3873133;
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3873236;
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's ok, they meet 15 more times this year.

Galarraga was robbed!!!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3921709;
    Galarraga was robbed!!!!!
    That was one of the most appalling calls I've ever seen!

I stopped by to see if there was any discussion here at the FORT about last nights Detroit/Cleveland game. In spite of the horrendous call, Armando Galarraga as well as Jim Joyce both seemed to handle the situation quite well. Joyce apologized, Galarraga accepted the apology, a new day has dawned and the Tigers and Indians will play another game today at 1pm. Joyce is actually scheduled to be the ump behind the plate today. I wonder if he will be replaced...as the fans may not let this go away for quite a while. I wonder if the fans are conveniently forgetting the other bad call that Joyce made earlier. He called a runner safe who was clearly out, which lead to 2 runs by Detroit.

At the end of the day though, all baseball fans should look to the example set by Galarraga. He has accepted that there was a bad call, his 'perfect game' was not to be, and so it goes.

I don't know that it can, or should, be swept under the table that easily. But people are getting a bit insane about the call, calling for Joyce to be fired. Bad calls do happen all of the time and while this one didn't affect the outcome of the game, it did affect history.

So yes, Armando Galarraga was the epitome of grace, class, and professionalism last night. He did have a perfect game but the history books won't reflect it. But he knows in his heart (right along with the rest of the world) that he had the 21st perfect game and the first in Detroit Tigers' history. His just happened to take 28 straight outs and not 27.

I'm just bummed that he didn't get to have his moment. And that Austin Jackson also misses out on getting the glory of that amazing over-the-shoulder catch that he had. That catch would have gone down as the play of the year, but now... it's sorely and sadly diminished.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Just wanted to share Joe Posnanski's article from today. Such a well-written, heartwarming piece about the fiasco: Joe's Article
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast