+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 112 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

The Olympic Games

I didn't see a thread for this.

The chosing of the Host city for 2016 in a few hours.
    Apparently Chicago is quiet a favorite along with rio.

Re: The Olympic Games

Not any more, Chicago and Tokyo are out.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

oh snap

ugh I can't believe it's between Rio and Madrid, or the fact that Chicago was out FIRST! WTH?

I think that Rio only wants the games because it'll get them recognition, not because they really care about the Olympic Legacy - - at least that's what i gathered from their presentation(which was horrible/sub-par) I mean they kept harping on about how they DESERVE the games just because no SA city has ever hosted blah blah blah.

And I don't think I can get excited about Madrid. The whole bid is kinda boring to me. I think they only got this far because of Samaranch's (sp?) plea to hold the games in Spain again before he dies or something (lame)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Chicago can't afford to pay their own police officers and firemen . . . how can't it be expected to spend BILLIONS of dollars on what is basically a party that lasts for 3 or 4 weeks.

There are so many more worthwhile things we could us that money for.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Well, Rio has been officially awarded the 2016 Olympiad. Sigh...

I guess only time will tell as to why Chicago was not just the winner but the first city out.

I was lukewarm on Chicago getting the Olympics so I'm not too broken up and I kind of thought Rio will get it. The only surprise was seeing Chicago out so early.

For anyone living here the first thought when you heard the word Olympics was probably not "Oh, cool, that's just going to put us on the map!!" but "Oh, crap! Traffic is going to be murder and what about the lake shore??" Our traffic already sucks big time and people who have lived in their neighborhoods all their lives have been priced out to make room for soulless, generic three-Starbucks-on-every-street kind of artificially gentrified havens for people with 1.5 kids and medium sized low maintenance pets. I call them Stepford neighborhoods and no, you don't want to see them. Trust me. All those inconvenient South Side neighborhoods around the planned venues with all those inconvenient normal not-so-rich people would have suffered the same fate under the guise of the Olympics. A hospital was going to be razed to make room for a stadium. Yeah.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

RIO 2016!!!

I mean, as the old saying goes, "you lose money on the Olympics, you make money on the World Cup", and Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup-so hosting both in two years will be very interesting. I think it's good to bring the Games to South America, and if anyone can throw a giant party, it's the Brazilians. Rio is definitely the best choice of a SA city to host the Olympics, although it will be interesting to see how everything takes shape.

One of my main criticisms about the Olympics is the complete lack of sustainability, and one of the main reasons I love the Vancouver Olympics (next winter, yay) is the fact that sustainability has been a key focus. Many of the facilities already existed, and for all the facilities, they have a legacy plan. The Olympic Villages are going to be turned into housing, with a minimum of 250 affordable units each. The speed-skating oval is going to be turned into a "multi-use community, health, and recreation facility". I'll post the link here, because after the last few Olympic games (I don't know about the Torino games), it's good to see that it's not all about grandiose statements.

Venues and Villages: Environmental Assessment, Development Plans and Legacies - Environmental Assessment, Development Plans and Legacies - Vancouver 2010
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

I'm glad that Rio got the games. Eventhough I thought Chicago was a cool idea, really...... in the last 20 years North America has hosted quite a few games. It's about time for a South American city to to pay for and host a games.

Congratulations to Rio! I'm so looking forward to Vancouver 2010! Perhaps we can keep this thread going for the upcoming Olympics!

+ Reply to Thread