+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 112 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

did i miss them or does the US not have a rythmic gymnastic and Synchro. Swimming teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What's a track marathon vs a regular marathon?
    No difference, Bearcata. I was just trying (badly) to differentiate between land and water.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    did i miss them or does the US not have a rythmic gymnastic and Synchro. Swimming teams?
    I think there was only one US rhythmic gymnast (easy to miss)... not sure about sychronized swimming.

There are always events I'm surprised to see in the olympics; yesterday it was bmx.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    The US synchro pair finished 11th. Maybe the team didn't qualify for the event

The lone American in the rhythmic gymnastics was there because of the rule that there has to be a competitor from each continent and she was the highest scoring North American at the last world championships. She wasn't really a factor in this competition. It doesn't look like the US had a group in the competition.

I'm watching the US-Argentina semifinal game in men's basketball - my first basketball of the Olympics. I like that the game is (at this point, anyway) not a total rout (yet) and that our players seem to be really working hard. Someone was on the floor going after the ball within the first few seconds of the game. I also like that so many of the players (maybe all of them, I don't know) have been there since the opening ceremonies and have been going to lots of different events. They're really out there enjoying the experience and supporting other athletes. I have to laugh at Lebron James and his nerd glasses sitting in the stands at various events.

Just flipped over for rhythmic gymnastics for a few minutes, even though I always feel really uncoordinated (even though I'm really not when not compared with these girls!), UN-flexible and fat when I watch them! I was surprised when I looked at the bios of a number of the girls and found that they're much taller than the artistic gymnasts. Several were 5'9". I was watching the team competition yesterday with the balls and OMG. Amazing! I can't imagine how many times they rehearse their routines to get to the point that those balls go exactly where they need to every time.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was scrolling through some still photos a little while ago. Among them, I found one of Prince Albert of Monaco, Princess Kate, and Robin Cousins sitting together in the stands. Robin Cousins is one of my all time favorite figure skaters and choreographers.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Watched the open water swim. Luv'd that Tunisia won and the same guy also won the 1500m indoor and that he was recovering from the flu. That's 3 Olympic medals for Tunisia ever and he won two of them both Gold.

Also watched the syncho swimming top 8 teams. Russia of course won.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I was scrolling through some still photos a little while ago. Among them, I found one of Prince Albert of Monaco, Princess Kate, and Robin Cousins sitting together in the stands. Robin Cousins is one of my all time favorite figure skaters and choreographers.
    She's actually a duchess, not a princess I met Robin Cousins many years ago - at least 20 - after an ice show that he was doing in SoCal. He could not have been nicer! I was glad, because I was a fan and it stinks to meet someone you admire and have them turn out to be a jerk. He took the time to talk to me and my friends between shows, when he really didn't have to.

McKayla Maroney will never live down that scowl on the medal stand. Now it's a meme. mckayla is not impressed

Congrats to the US women for winning the 4x100 relay!

It looks like the Chinese diving team is set to win another gold medal. It's sort of anti-climactic at this point. I heard someone say that, for the other teams, winning a silver in diving is like winning gold because no one can touch the Chinese. The surprise for me with diving is how good the Mexican team is now. When did that happen? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but it seems like they weren't that good in Beijing. Now they have contenders in every diving event.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I heard Daley say that (about winning silver). The Mexicans have done really well. The Canadian commentators have noted that they consistently choose more difficult/higher start dives, which plays a role, but obviously the fact they're doing them well also is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Watched the open water swim. Luv'd that Tunisia won and the same guy also won the 1500m indoor and that he was recovering from the flu. That's 3 Olympic medals for Tunisia ever and he won two of them both Gold.

Also watched the syncho swimming top 8 teams. Russia of course won.
    He (Mellouli) didn't win the 1500 gold this year (he got bronze) - he won it in 08.

Nice story about triathlon from Houston Chronicle:
    http://blog.chron.com/olympics/2012/...mpic-medalist/
    Last edited by CCL; 08-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    She's actually a duchess, not a princess I met Robin Cousins many years ago - at least 20 - after an ice show that he was doing in SoCal. He could not have been nicer! I was glad, because I was a fan and it stinks to meet someone you admire and have them turn out to be a jerk. He took the time to talk to me and my friends between shows, when he really didn't have to.

McKayla Maroney will never live down that scowl on the medal stand. Now it's a meme. mckayla is not impressed

Congrats to the US women for winning the 4x100 relay!

It looks like the Chinese diving team is set to win another gold medal. It's sort of anti-climactic at this point. I heard someone say that, for the other teams, winning a silver in diving is like winning gold because no one can touch the Chinese. The surprise for me with diving is how good the Mexican team is now. When did that happen? Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but it seems like they weren't that good in Beijing. Now they have contenders in every diving event.
    You know, I thought Kate was a duchess as you say, Critical. The only reason I said princess was because that is what she was being called in all of the photographs of her at the Olympics. I thought something might have changed regarding the titles. Thanks for the correction.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

One of my favorite quick pick-me-ups if I'm having a crummy day is the youtube video of Robin Cousins' "Satan Takes a Holiday" program. Loved him and John Curry before him.

+ Reply to Thread