+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 112 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Did anyone watch the women's open water swimming event today? I had forgotten about that since it was added only at Beijing, but it's a six-mile circular course being done in a lake and takes the same approximate 2 hours as the track marathon race. I won't give the results here in case anyone wants to watch it, but I really enjoyed it. The men's event, I believe, is tomorrow.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Did anyone watch the women's open water swimming event today? I had forgotten about that since it was added only at Beijing, but it's a six-mile circular course being done in a lake and takes the same approximate 2 hours as the track marathon race. I won't give the results here in case anyone wants to watch it, but I really enjoyed it. The men's event, I believe, is tomorrow.
    What's a track marathon vs a regular marathon?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Oh, it was great to see the women's platform diving and to see Malaysia win Bronze it's first Olympic medal. The pure joy on the Pandelela Rinong's face was priceless.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It makes no sense to me that the gold medal water polo match was going on, which the US team was playing in and NBC showed the bronze medal match instead. Show the gold medal match live and the bronze later! That seems like a no-brainer! They just said they're showing the gold medal match next and not during the prime time coverage.
    i know. i have had it with NBC. WFT!!!

FORT Fogey

a friend of mine said something quite interesting. He said, women are more involved in sport in the usa and many start at such a young age than other women in other nations. this could be the reason why american women dominate pretty much of female sport that have to do with endurance.

did anybody watch the rythmic gymnastic. wow quite impressed by how the group managed the ball. specially the russians and belarusians(spl)
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What's a track marathon vs a regular marathon?
    It's the same thing. I think Florimel meant "track" as in track and field.

So happy for Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee for finishing #1 and #2 in the Decathlon!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OMG, how adorable is David Rudisha? What a doll! I'm a sucker for an accent.

You know, Dwight Stones has been covering the jumping track and field events, but I don't think I've seen him on camera this whole time. I remember him from back in the day with his Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. He was so cute.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So happy for Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee for finishing #1 and #2 in the Decathlon!
    So fantastic. I was cheering them on!

The men were listening as they went one and two in the decathalon and another one and two for one of the jumping events - maybe triple jump? Can't believe I've forgotten which, it was earlier today it happened.

I thought our men in the 4 X 400 were inspiring before I heard about the first runner breaking his leg during his run. Wow, that is amazing.

They mentioned that we've added 20 more medals in the last two days. Pretty great since the total is 80. 1/4 of the medals in two days!

I also was happy that they advanced South Africa because of the circumstances of why they couldn't finish their heat.

FORT Fogey

OMG, how adorable is David Rudisha? What a doll! I'm a sucker for an accent.

You know, Dwight Stones has been covering the jumping track and field events, but I don't think I've seen him on camera this whole time. I remember him from back in the day with his Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. He was so cute.
    Funny you should mention Dwight Stones. When I was watching the high jump the other day, I found myself remembering Dick Fosbury and how the Fosbury flop changed the way people high jumped forever. Does anyone use any other method anymore?
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    So fantastic. I was cheering them on!

The men were listening as they went one and two in the decathalon and another one and two for one of the jumping events - maybe triple jump? Can't believe I've forgotten which, it was earlier today it happened.

I thought our men in the 4 X 400 were inspiring before I heard about the first runner breaking his leg during his run. Wow, that is amazing.

They mentioned that we've added 20 more medals in the last two days. Pretty great since the total is 80. 1/4 of the medals in two days!

I also was happy that they advanced South Africa because of the circumstances of why they couldn't finish their heat.
    Oops! Make that 90 medals for the USA. I still think 20 in 2 days is impressive!

+ Reply to Thread