+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Plus he graduated with a degree from Berkeley in Public Health in the Spring (with honours, I think) and wants to be a doctor. Yep, perfect.

Random thoughts: Not really into the track events as much. The long jump and stuff just makes me think of junior high gym class. I like some of the running. I know Usain Bolt is cocky but he seems nice at the same time...I can't hate on him.
    I saw some of the show-jumping today for the horses - the obstacles were set up with British landmarks (Big Ben/Westminster etc) - it was cute.
    I actually liked Ponor's floor routine better than Raisman's. At least she (Ponor) got a silver for floor when she was bumped out of the medals on the beam. Her (Ponor's) team actually disputed her score on the floor exercise as well but the judges didn't accept it/didn't change the score. They have to pay to have the judges re-look at the routine. If the judges then agree and amend the score, the team/athlete gets their money back; if they don't it goes into some general FIG fund.
    Don't really care for volleyball (beach or otherwise) and it seems like there is always a match on.
    I love the equestrian events. The show jumping section pretty much always has jumps that are reflective of the country/city in which the Olympics are held, but I think the London designers did an excellent job at that (better than the opening ceremonies did, IMO). Tomorrow the individual medals in dressage are awarded, when the riders perform a dressage routine to music of their choice. It's like equine ballet.

I realized today that the British athletes in sports that involve methods of transportation seem to do especially well--riding, bicycling, rowing. I suppose you could even count marathon running, if you needed to get somewhere twenty-six miles away without spending a cent.

Did anyone else hear that the Fab Five got wind of the comments about Gabby's hair, so they all wore the same style yesterday?
    Florimel likes this.

I saw the three bronze medals awarded in the high jump. It really makes no sense. If more than one can be given that should be across the board, a tie is a tie. I personally would rather see two given out than going to a crazy system to determine the winner.

So happy for Misty and Kerry. I was hoping they'd get the gold. Watching them play actually made me interested in watching beach volleyball.

They said tonight that the women had 23 of the 34 golds for USA. The women are kicking butt, the men need to step it up.

The difference between the gymnastics situation and track and field is that gymnastics is a judged event. There are multiple scores that factor in to a gymnast's final score. With track and field, it's time, height or distance. There's no way to eliminate anyone because they all did the exact same thing.

I just love Misty and Kerri. You can see how much they love each other and how close they are. Kerri had me crying when she started crying and covered her eyes during the interview just after they won the gold. They really are a perfect partnership. I love that they sang the National Anthem during the medal ceremony....and the crowd joined in!

It always makes me laugh when the commentators feel they have to point out various athletes when it's totally obvious which one it is. Like the other week in one of the swimming events when Rowdy Gaines felt the need to circle Cullen Jones in a replay. Um....every other person in the pool is white. I'm pretty sure we can pick out Cullen. Then tonight in one of the preliminary races for the 110M hurdles, the commentator felt the need to say which lane Jason Richardson was in. He's the only guy with long dreadlocks. It's not hard to find him!

I had to laugh when Chris Marlowe identified each of the women's beach volleyball teams by calling their little bikinis "uniforms."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    ...They said tonight that the women had 23 of the 34 golds for USA. The women are kicking butt, the men need to step it up.
    Ha, I hadn't heard those numbers. Impressive!
    We've been watching in our house, and seeing so much coverage of strong female athletes has made me realize how little our kids normally see of that -- televised attention. (I guess I had underestimated the influence, but my daughter tumbles, and I've noticed she has ramped up her focus and intensity.) Just another cool aspect of how inspiring these games can be.
    remember to play

Synchronized Swimming AND Rhythmic Gymnastics this morning! It seems like the only time either of these sports is on TV is during the Olympics, so I always make sure to watch....even though I do end up feeling old and fat! It was fun to watch the canoeing / kayaking too.

Ryan Lochte shouldn't quit his day job, but Patrick Stewart, Maisie Williams and Simon Pegg = WIN!
    The Olympic Ticket Scalper with Patrick Stewart, Ryan Lochte, Simon Pegg & Maisie Williams from Patrick Stewart, Ryan Lochte, Simon Pegg, Maisie Williams, NickCorirossi, Charles Ingram, Betsy Koch, Funny Or Die, and Brian Lane
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I love the Equestrian Events. I wish they'd show some of them during the evening Prime-Time. I only get to see them if they're on during my lunch break. And I agree, the England inspired jumps are great.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

My heart broke for Oscar Pistorius and the rest of the South African relay team when the one runner was tripped or crashed into by the Kenyan runner. I'm so glad they won their appeal and will get to compete in the finals tomorrow!

That 4x400 relay was full of drama. Now it's being reported that Manteo Mitchell broke his fibula at the 200M mark and he finished the leg. Amazing! I'm sure that was adrenaline, but it's still incredible.
    justCoz likes this.

Cheers for Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee who are 1 and 2 after eight events in the decathlon, one of my most favorite events along with equestrian. I wish we would see more tv coverage of equestrian events outside of the Olympics. I'm also enjoying rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming.

Also pleased that the protest by South Africa was upheld as it should have been.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My heart broke for Oscar Pistorius and the rest of the South African relay team when the one runner was tripped or crashed into by the Kenyan runner. I'm so glad they won their appeal and will get to compete in the finals tomorrow!

That 4x400 relay was full of drama. Now it's being reported that Manteo Mitchell broke his fibula at the 200M mark and he finished the leg. Amazing! I'm sure that was adrenaline, but it's still incredible.
    I hope both teams do well. They both have that emotional pull for me now.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

It makes no sense to me that the gold medal water polo match was going on, which the US team was playing in and NBC showed the bronze medal match instead. Show the gold medal match live and the bronze later! That seems like a no-brainer! They just said they're showing the gold medal match next and not during the prime time coverage.

Regardless of when they're aired on NBC, the women's soccer AND water polo teams just took gold!

+ Reply to Thread