+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 112 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

The women's individual event beam routines were fantastic. It was a bit of a let down after watching the two Chinese gymnasts. They were perfection. The Russian girls were close, their extension is fabulous, all that ballet training and to be honest the Americans look like clod hoppers compared to them. I was so happy when Catalina Ponor did her routine. I was really rooting for her to win a medal to cap off her career and really didn't like the way that the American coaches trampled over her score. Seriously, if shouldn't have Catalina won the bronze over Aly Raisman because while Raisman's routine was more difficult she actually had more deductions to get the same score as Ponor?

I just wish they would let you have a tie like they used to.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

somebody watching the ladies jump? can someone tell Brittney Reese to get rid of the gum she is chewing?
    tears.and.rain likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    That's crazy they let the swimmers qualify for as many races as they can and yet here is a runner who could do well in both and possibly win two medals and yet the officials are denying him the option. That's nuts. Can anyone explain why? I have seen other track athletes compete in multiple events why not these two particular distances?
    Probably for the same reason that they can award three bronze medals in men's high jump, but they can't award two in women's gymnastics. Go figure that one out.

It seems like a lot of things are arbitrary from sport to sport in this Olympics. Or maybe that's always been true, but they've just reported on it more this time.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-08-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: fixing broken quote tags
    justCoz likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I checked the news this morning and they're still missing. I guess it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened with athletes from Cameroon, so the talk of defection/seeking asylum isn't unfounded.
    If it's happened before, you'd think they'd be really careful that it didn't happen again, unless they're more sanguine about defection that the communist bloc used to be.

BTW, I keep forgetting to tell you that when I looked at that photo of Michael Phelps' sister and her necklace, and my first thought was to wonder if she knew the designer of her necklace, because she wore a plain white t-shirt with it, so that you couldn't help but look at anything but the necklace. You know if we noticed their jewelry, other people did too, and if it generated any internet interest, it would be so easy for her to tweet the name/contact information for the designer.

Come to think of it, maybe the Phelps women have room in their suitcases for all that jewelry, because they just pack a few simple outfits, assuming that if you keep wearing big statement jewelry and mix of the wardrobe pieces just a little, it will look like you have a lot more outfits than you do. Or at least that people will be too busy looking at your jewelry to notice whatever else you're wearing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The women's individual event beam routines were fantastic. It was a bit of a let down after watching the two Chinese gymnasts. They were perfection. The Russian girls were close, their extension is fabulous, all that ballet training and to be honest the Americans look like clod hoppers compared to them. I was so happy when Catalina Ponor did her routine. I was really rooting for her to win a medal to cap off her career and really didn't like the way that the American coaches trampled over her score. Seriously, if shouldn't have Catalina won the bronze over Aly Raisman because while Raisman's routine was more difficult she actually had more deductions to get the same score as Ponor?

I just wish they would let you have a tie like they used to.

To be fair, the American coaches didn't trample over her scores--they asked that the judges review Aly's routine, because they thought she hadn't been given the correct starting value, and apparently, she hadn't. When they deducted the same number of points from her new starting value, she tied with Ponor, and then they go specifically to the execution score as the tie-breaker, and Raisman's execution score was higher than Ponor's. At least that's the way they explained it last night.

But I agree about the ties. If they can award three bronzes in men's high jump, I don't see what the big deal is about having to break ties in gymnastics.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

Misty and Kerri just won their third gold medal in Beach Volleyball! Way to go out on top!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Misty and Kerri just won their third gold medal in Beach Volleyball! Way to go out on top!
    Oh, yeah! I've been rooting hard for them since I found out Kerri has had four shoulder surgeries, one this last year. You'd never, ever know it from the way she plays.

CCL

CCL - I'll take Nathan Adrian over Ryan Lochte any day! He's cute as a button!
    Plus he graduated with a degree from Berkeley in Public Health in the Spring (with honours, I think) and wants to be a doctor. Yep, perfect.

Random thoughts: Not really into the track events as much. The long jump and stuff just makes me think of junior high gym class. I like some of the running. I know Usain Bolt is cocky but he seems nice at the same time...I can't hate on him.
    I saw some of the show-jumping today for the horses - the obstacles were set up with British landmarks (Big Ben/Westminster etc) - it was cute.
    I actually liked Ponor's floor routine better than Raisman's. At least she (Ponor) got a silver for floor when she was bumped out of the medals on the beam. Her (Ponor's) team actually disputed her score on the floor exercise as well but the judges didn't accept it/didn't change the score. They have to pay to have the judges re-look at the routine. If the judges then agree and amend the score, the team/athlete gets their money back; if they don't it goes into some general FIG fund.
    Don't really care for volleyball (beach or otherwise) and it seems like there is always a match on.
    Last edited by CCL; 08-08-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

So, so happy for Kerri & Misty!!! I thought the match last night against China was much better but a win is a win. So glad they went out on top!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

The first time I've truly gotten teary during this Olympics was seeing the look on Kerri's face during their interview as it sunk in that Misty was done.

+ Reply to Thread