+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 112 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Being back at school is really cramping my Olympic watching time! So happy for Andy Murray. I think I am 2 days behind now. Like many of you I love the wins that come out of nowhere and the bio pieces on amazing athletes I haven't heard of.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Re: The Olympic Games

The Dutch gymnast who won the gold on High Bar was absolutely adorable! His routine was incredible. It was obvious as soon as he hit that mat that he was getting the gold. I couldn't imagine anyone doing better. You could tell that the other athletes and coaches were happy for him too. It was the first men's gymnastics medal for The Netherlands. Cool that it was gold!

That's one of the things I like about the event finals - gymnasts who are stand-outs on one apparatus, but come from a country with a weaker overall team can really shine.

The gold medal winner on balance beam was amazing too. It was like she stuck to that beam like a magnet. A lot of the time I find balance beam either nerve wracking to watch or kind of boring. She had me transfixed.

Something feels fishy about the Algerian runner from who won the 1500 meters. He got disqualified and thrown out (for not giving his best effort) after basically jogging through a qualifying race for (I think) the 800m before stopping at 200m and then half-heartedly grabbing his hamstrings. They appealed, saying he was injured and he was allowed to compete in the 1500 (his specialty) but, as one of the commentators said, he had a pretty miraculous recovery.

What is it with athletes not doing their best? What an insult to the athletes who would kill to go to the Olympics, but didn't make it.

CCL - I'll take Nathan Adrian over Ryan Lochte any day! He's cute as a button!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The Dutch gymnast who won the gold on High Bar was absolutely adorable! His routine was incredible. It was obvious as soon as he hit that mat that he was getting the gold. I couldn't imagine anyone doing better. You could tell that the other athletes and coaches were happy for him too. It was the first men's gymnastics medal for The Netherlands. Cool that it was gold!

That's one of the things I like about the event finals - gymnasts who are stand-outs on one apparatus, but come from a country with a weaker overall team can really shine.

The gold medal winner on balance beam was amazing too. It was like she stuck to that beam like a magnet. A lot of the time I find balance beam either nerve wracking to watch or kind of boring. She had me transfixed.

Something feels fishy about the Algerian runner from who won the 1500 meters. He got disqualified and thrown out (for not giving his best effort) after basically jogging through a qualifying race for (I think) the 800m before stopping at 200m and then half-heartedly grabbing his hamstrings. They appealed, saying he was injured and he was allowed to compete in the 1500 (his specialty) but, as one of the commentators said, he had a pretty miraculous recovery.

What is it with athletes not doing their best? What an insult to the athletes who would kill to go to the Olympics, but didn't make it.

CCL - I'll take Nathan Adrian over Ryan Lochte any day! He's cute as a button!

They were talking about the Algerian runner this morning on BBC World News. According to them, what happened is that Algeria entered the runner in both the 800 and the 1500, which is no longer allowed. When they finally realized this, or were told, or whatever, he had already advanced in the 800, but if he ended up in the finals for the 800, he would have automatically DQed for the 1500, where he was favored to win. When he pulled up in the 800, officials had him tossed for not giving a real effort, and then Algeria protested, claiming he was injured, and he was reinstated. But by the 1500, his injury was no more, which is why everyone is suspicious, though according to BBC World News, the athletes themselves aren't particularly upset by what happened, perhaps because the screw-up in race entries was the result of a mistake on the part of the Algerian Olympic officials and not the runner himself.

And yeah, the Dutch guy was too cute. I also liked that Jonathan Horton, the next gymnast up, made a point of congratulating him before going to the apparatus himself. Aside from a step on his dismount, Horton himself did quite well. He just didn't have the difficulty to compete with Zonderland. Because, really, who does? Zonderland had significant deductions, possibly for those form breaks, but his level of difficulty is so high, he can afford them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Sorry 'bout the anthem mix-up, Tilden! Katarina DID skate for East Germany, so that would've been a different anthem, DEFINITELY!

For some reason, I obviously had Russia on the brain when I posted about "The Battle of the Carmens", and I have absolutely no idea why, but I was dead wrong about what Katarina's anthem would have been!

My bad!
    It's not that big of a deal--well, at least it's not as big of a deal to me as Paul Wylie erroneously being referred to as winning a bronze. But then, I didn't name my dog Witt.
    ness likes this.

FORT Fogey

Has there been any update on the missing Cameroon athletes? They had disappeared from the Olympic Village, but no official missing persons report had been filed, because a)they could have simply gone out and not made it back to the Olympic Village by the time they were supposed to be back and b)their credentials allow them to be in GB until September. There was some gossip about a possible defection, but nothing was clear last time I checked.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    One of the gymnastics commentators said something like seeing good sportsmanship never gets old in response to watching Sam's reaction to the winner. His actual joy in the routines that put him further down the ranking was great to see. He loved seeing those fantastic routines and was genuinely happy for the medalists. It was great to watch this, especially in comparison to Macayla's response, and that one Russian girl who looked like she would cry at any minute and her gloating look when it went her way. It raises my opinion of Sam and lowers my opinion of the others.

Also Kirani James' great sportsmanship, the trading of his number card was very cool. I also was so impressed with him when he won. He celebrated for a few seconds and then turned around to shake all of his competitors hands, even to the point of seeking out those sitting on the ground a few feet away. Then he went on to celebrate some more and go over to the Grenadians watching him.

It's interesting how in each of those cases it raised my estimation of the athletes. One didn't get a medal, the other won gold but their classy behavior sets them apart in a good way.

I know getting silver or bronze is not winning but it is a medal and I wish some athletes would be more happy when they get one. I loved the American that took bronze in shot put. He was so thrilled to get a medal and so was his mom. He's been in the Olympics before and didn't get any medals so any color made them thrilled. Michael Phelps' medal count is enhanced by the others he got that aren't gold.
    To me, that's what makes an athlete truly 'great'. I see Usain Bolt with his bigger than life attitude or Aliya Mustafina who brushes off her coach when she doesn't do well and I really dislike watching them. Even McKayla with her sourpuss look - I understand things didn't go your way but you could've congratulated the winner instead of making her come to you. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose - that's just the name of the game. Sometimes you're 'on' and sometimes you're not. Each and every athlete has the potential to have a great day when they wake up. Sometimes, it just doesn't go their way. But I have a much larger respect for those athletes who accept they tried their best at that particular moment and it just didn't work out. Look at Dan Jansen - he had every reason to bemoan everything that happened during his speed skating appearances but instead he continued to work hard and it paid off in the end.

When I was a camp counselor, our biggest trophy went to those with the best sportsmanship, not the best athletes. Sometimes they were the best athletes and sometimes they weren't but those are the people I think are the most ideal Olympic athletes - no matter the colors they're wearing or what country they represent, you can't help but cheering them on.

ETA - I love Nathan Adrian as well - I even mentioned him as my top contender for Finnick in the Hunger Games (out of actual swimmers). He was too cute in the Call Me Maybe video.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I do remember "The battle of the Carmens" very well. I also remember Elizabeth Manley's fantastic freeskate, which I though was at least as good and possibly better than Witt's Carmen. I don't recall their short programs, but I think Witt was way ahead on the compulsories, which they still had back then.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    They were talking about the Algerian runner this morning on BBC World News. According to them, what happened is that Algeria entered the runner in both the 800 and the 1500, which is no longer allowed. When they finally realized this, or were told, or whatever, he had already advanced in the 800, but if he ended up in the finals for the 800, he would have automatically DQed for the 1500, where he was favored to win. When he pulled up in the 800, officials had him tossed for not giving a real effort, and then Algeria protested, claiming he was injured, and he was reinstated. But by the 1500, his injury was no more, which is why everyone is suspicious, though according to BBC World News, the athletes themselves aren't particularly upset by what happened, perhaps because the screw-up in race entries was the result of a mistake on the part of the Algerian Olympic officials and not the runner himself.

And yeah, the Dutch guy was too cute. I also liked that Jonathan Horton, the next gymnast up, made a point of congratulating him before going to the apparatus himself. Aside from a step on his dismount, Horton himself did quite well. He just didn't have the difficulty to compete with Zonderland. Because, really, who does? Zonderland had significant deductions, possibly for those form breaks, but his level of difficulty is so high, he can afford them.
    That's crazy they let the swimmers qualify for as many races as they can and yet here is a runner who could do well in both and possibly win two medals and yet the officials are denying him the option. That's nuts. Can anyone explain why? I have seen other track athletes compete in multiple events why not these two particular distances?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I do remember "The battle of the Carmens" very well. I also remember Elizabeth Manley's fantastic freeskate, which I though was at least as good and possibly better than Witt's Carmen. I don't recall their short programs, but I think Witt was way ahead on the compulsories, which they still had back then.
    I too thought Manley skated better, her spinning was fantastic. But as I recall while technically spinning and jumping are equally as difficult the judges always seem to value jumps higher then spins although they are not supposed to. I personally never thought Katarina Witt was all that. Her interpretation of her choreography, what little of it there was seemed lackadaisical at best.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Has there been any update on the missing Cameroon athletes? They had disappeared from the Olympic Village, but no official missing persons report had been filed, because a)they could have simply gone out and not made it back to the Olympic Village by the time they were supposed to be back and b)their credentials allow them to be in GB until September. There was some gossip about a possible defection, but nothing was clear last time I checked.
    I checked the news this morning and they're still missing. I guess it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened with athletes from Cameroon, so the talk of defection/seeking asylum isn't unfounded.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread