+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I really hate that attitude. If only winning gold counted than why the heck is everyone keeping track of the silver and bronze medal counts?
    I agree about the gloating too. That was not classy at all. Have to wonder what kind of words were exchanged when we couldn't see too when I see someone as sour as Macayla was and someone gloating like the other one was. That all screams behind the scenes drama.

I used to do competitive things for medals and so forth when I was younger and was going to enter a contest recently. I didn't come in first very often but when it I didn't and I at least made a showing and got second or third I was really proud because I could say wow I was beat by the very very best. If I had to lose I'm glad it was to someone so darn exceptional. And I totally saw that quality lacking in the gymnastics and some of the other competitions. I enjoy the ones more that athletes actually respect and like each other and where they do get great joy in seeing the amazing things their peers are doing.

I really feel that there are a lot of athletes who are making this into a career or moving into endorsement deals or publicity (Seriously anymore about Lochte's sex life and I'm shutting off all news). There seem to be fewer and fewer in it for the love of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Seriously anymore about Lochte's sex life and I'm shutting off all news.
    Seriously. I'm sure he wishes he'd slapped some tape over his mother's mouth! Reporters definitely took advantage of her lack of media savvy.

Although I love lots of things about the Olympics, my favorite thing is seeing athletes from countries with just a few team members who are just happy to be there OR who do well and didn't expect to. That's why I love the parade of nations in the opening ceremonies. All the beaming faces of athletes who know they likely won't even get near a gold medal and are just excited to be participating are what it's all about.

Although I don't think it was a surprise that Kirani James won his race yesterday, it was Grenada's first Olympic medal. Pretty incredible!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Seriously. I'm sure he wishes he'd slapped some tape over his mother's mouth! Reporters definitely took advantage of her lack of media savvy.

Although I love lots of things about the Olympics, my favorite thing is seeing athletes from countries with just a few team members who are just happy to be there OR who do well and didn't expect to. That's why I love the parade of nations in the opening ceremonies. All the beaming faces of athletes who know they likely won't even get near a gold medal and are just excited to be participating are what it's all about.

Although I don't think it was a surprise that Kirani James won his race yesterday, it was Grenada's first Olympic medal. Pretty incredible!
    That's really my favorite part of the olympics too and what I've been kind of disappointed in with NBC's broadcast of the Olympics. In the events I'm sort of interested in I didn't really even get to see the other countries compete. Eventually, for example, I stopped watching gymnastics. One can only watch the same 5 girls do the same routines over and over again so many times before it gets a little much. I want to see some of those under dogs and their competing since they seem actually happy to be there and seem to not carry that whole air of entitlement.

Lochte's mother I could accept and have a good chuckle over but then their brief back and forth in the media about what she really meant followed by the media about the girls from the night club on Monday. Oh my gosh just stop talking and get off of my tv. Saw him and his special razor today too and it's like dude the charm is wearing real thin now.

Random thoughts about Olympic this and that . . .

Tilden, thanks so much for your background posts on Debi Thomas. They really illuminated a LOT for me as regards why she stomped out to the podium, had a jaw so set it might've cracked as Russia's anthem was played, why she would've gladly given that bronze medal away, and why she turned her back on skating for many, many years, afterward. When I saw how she reacted after getting the bronze, I did think that she might've been disappointed in herself (which is why I suspected she behaved as she did), but I don't recall seeing/hearing all that was going on behind the scenes (coming from her coach, apparently) that was most likely the major catalyst for her on-ice meltdown. That "carrying the banner for the USA and all African-Americans!" was too much of a head trip for him to have laid on her, or ANYBODY. No wonder she took that in and exploded. I also checked out You Tube for her "Caesar's 2010" performance. I was very glad to see it, and very glad she got back out there, if only for that single performance. She was so good in it!

Hair: Yep, Jordan's is the neatest. But as for all of the rest of em? Nah. Much as I would like them all to appear picture-perfect and as pretty as if they'd just stepped out of bandboxes (ballerina buns, maybe?), I've resigned myself to the fact that this is the 21st century, and that probably ain't gonna happen. Besides, performance hiccups, mess-ups, stupid rules and all, these girls went out and did a job for the US that hadn't been accomplished in the past 16 years. I'd rather focus on that than whether or not their topknots were/are messy.

As far as Gabby's hair goes? People REALLY need to get a life and stop being jealous, small, hateful and mean. Seriously. I bet not a ONE of the idiots who posted negatively somewhere about her hair could have done what she did, let ALONE have the guts to get out there and try it.

And, regardless, facts are facts: There ARE all different textures and types of hair out here that have to be dealt with differently, based on whatever one happens to have been born with.

Besides, far as I can remember, Olympic gymnastics has had its various hair trends throughout the years. The pigtails (Olga, Ludmilla[!], Cathy, etc.), ponytails, buns, short (damn near buzz, in some instances) cuts, and so on. Well, for the USA at least, it seems that for this particular Games, the trend for the majority of the US ladies is "messy topknot".

Again, they won team gold, so who really cares?

Ugly faces: McKayla - Let me just say this, I saw way, WAY more photos yesterday. Oh boy. I know she's a young girl, and I get that she was disappointed. But, WHOAH. Maybe, hopefully, her mother or coach will have a long, long talk with her about good sportsmanship and graciousness. They really NEED to. Mustafina - Not attractive, at all. Just as bad --- if not worse --- than McKayla's. Now that I think about it for a second, WORSE.

Kirani James and Oscar Pitorius: I glowed, and cried. Such special, special people. THIS is one reason why I love the Olympics.

The Independent Olympic Athletes: Critical mentioned that one of the best reasons to watch the Parade of Nations during Opening Ceremonies is to watch for small teams that are just happy to be there as Olympians. These three from the Netherlands Antilles who danced and partied into the stadium are a perfect example of that. I smiled and laughed as they entered. I think the young lady even tried a cartwheel at one point, IIRC! Such joy is absolutely infectious, and I loved every second they were on my screen. Besides seeing our athletes, for me, their entrance was something very, very special.

Lochte's Sex Life: I think if I were him, I'd try to find a way to disown my mom. Seriously. I mean, there is being honest, then there is putting out WAY TMI! And about your SON, too!? Oh, brother! SMH.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by ness; 08-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    CCL, this one's for you!
    He's such a cute doofus.
    I've transferred some of my love to Nathan Adrian now.
    Critical likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Katarina Witt, who won the gold in Calgary in 1988, was from East Germany, which was recognized separately from the USSR, so I assume they had some kind of anthem of their own. And the silver medal, Canada's own Elizabeth Manley, was probably the most ecstatic of the three, because no one expected that kind of performance from her. Not quite as ecstatic as Paul Wylie, who practically flew onto the ice to accept his silver in 1992, but happy nonetheless.

Paul Wylie was given the Spirit of the Olympics Award in 1992, which is an award voted on by the press for the athlete who most exemplifies the spirit of the Olympic games. The fact that he was so happy he was willing to be interviewed by anyone at any time and could be counted on to come up with something intelligent to say (he did graduate from Harvard, after all), probably helped. I do remember laughing at the fact that at a press conference after the awards ceremony, the photographers wanted him to remove all the credentials hanging around his neck so they could get a clearer shot at the medal, and he said, completely seriously, that he didn't want to take them off and risk misplacing them, because without them, he couldn't get back into the Olympic Village. Everyone started laughing and one of the reporters finally said, "It's okay, Paul. They know who you are now."

After he'd won the silver at Nationals in a controversial decision over Mark Mitchell, one reporter at the press conference rudely asked Wylie, "What are you doing here?" At twenty-seven, he was considered too old and not accomplished enough and a "choker" who couldn't put together two clean performances at important events. At the Olympic press conference, Paul spotted the same reporter and before he could say anything, Paul asked him, "What are you doing here?" They both laughed and made up after that, but I'm still glad Paul got in his shot.
    libgirl2 likes this.

FORT Fogey

On E!, of all places, I heard that there's some ring company that has made commemorative rings for all the U.S. Olympic athletes, so that everyone gets to take home something special, even if they don't win a medal (or maybe it was all the athletes from anywhere--they only talked about American athletes, so I just assumed it was a U.S. deal). The basic ring, which comes with their name and the icon from their sport, is free, and they're also allowed to have something engraved on the inside of it for free. If the athletes want to upgrade it by adding more bling, they can, but then they have to pay for it (and the basic ring is quite nice on its own). The ring company representative mentioned that all the boxers and dream team basketball players went full out for the bling, but not everybody did. She also mentioned that the women's gymnastics team came in and chose their rings together, because they wanted to make sure their five rings were exactly alike, even to the same inscription: One team, one dream.

I was glad everyone gets something that only an Olympic athlete can have, even if she/he came in dead last in his/her event. Just getting to the Olympics is a huge accomplishment and deserves some kind of recognition.
    justCoz, Cootie and SpringMaiden27 like this.

FORT Fogey

Wow the 3 ladies of the 100m hurdles were so happy, i coulnd help but smile as well.

FORT Fogey

Gymnastics was pretty wild tonight too. Epke Zonderland's high bar routine was off the charts. Even if his form wasn't absolutely perfect, those three huge release moves in a row? Wowza. Love his name too. One of the best things about the Olympics is all the fun names. Epke Zonderland is almost as fun as Peter Vandehogenvan.

As happy as I was for Aly, I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the poor Romanian gymnast who fell at the end of her floor routine. I also thought it was very sporting of Aly to go ahead and congratulate the presumed bronze winner on beam even as the protest was going through--and I was happy she got the silver to Aly's gold on the floor, so the tie breaker on beam perhaps didn't hurt quite so bad.

Oh, and did anyone else wonder about the Italian gymnast's one-sleeved leotard with the cut-out on the opposite shoulder? I can't remember seeing a one-sleeved leotard before, and I didn't really think it worked. In fact, I thought it de-emphasized her lines.

Sorry 'bout the anthem mix-up, Tilden! Katarina DID skate for East Germany, so that would've been a different anthem, DEFINITELY!

For some reason, I obviously had Russia on the brain when I posted about "The Battle of the Carmens", and I have absolutely no idea why, but I was dead wrong about what Katarina's anthem would have been!

My bad!
    Last edited by ness; 08-08-2012 at 02:26 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread