+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

What was most disappointing about Debbi Thomas is that it looked as if she totally gave up and didn't even try.
    Florimel and jucamer like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Roger Federer just posted a pic of himself on his FB standing in front of the All England Lawn and Tennis Club and smiling while holding his silver medal. I'm sure he would have preferred it was gold, but he doesn't seem all that disappointed about silver. I know a lot of posters here don't like him, but I think he's a class act.

So, am I the only one who cried when Oscar Pistorius ran in the 400m prelims yesterday? Amazing! I do tend to cry at the drop of a dime. Muhammad Ali during the Opening Ceremonies? Bawling.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I was really happy for him. I also caught Oscar running the semifinals and too bad he came in last but he was such a class act in the interview afterwards. The other athletes really seem to respect him.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

What a fantastic week of sports - I think I'm going to go in withdrawal without my beloved swimming but at least I still have volleyball to fall back on. I never thought I'd be cheering for someone named "Destiny Hooker" but I am and she rocks!!

I spent a bit catching up and noticed comments about the gymnasts' hairstyle - while I know it looks sloppy and I was surprised they wore it like that, I can't blame them. I used to do the same while playing volleyball b/c your ponytail can whip your face and it hurts and buns are so tight they can give you a headache. So you pull it back in a ponytail but then don't pull it all the way out so it's not whipping you as you play. Sloppy-looking yes but probably much more comfortable for them.

Critical - you mentioned meeting Karch Kiraly. I met him and Kent Steffes in 1990 when my team played at the Volleyball Festival and he remains one of my biggest athletic crushes. I hate seeing him sitting on the sidelines, though - I want to see him actively coaching!
    jucamer likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    So, am I the only one who cried when Oscar Pistorius ran in the 400m prelims yesterday? Amazing! I do tend to cry at the drop of a dime. Muhammad Ali during the Opening Ceremonies? Bawling.
    Absolutely not. I wanted him to make it into the finals sooooooo bad, but I think it's great that he made it as far as he did.
    I was nearly crying during his life story/highlight segment.
    What an inspiring story. His parents raised him right.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

CCL

Beth Tweddle's beam routine was so great. Too bad about the stumble at the end but still...
    Loved watching Pistorius race. I know there is still the controversy over whether his blades give him an unfair advantage or not, but it was still pretty great.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Loved seeing Oscar Pistorius and the true sportsmanship exhibited in that arena with the other track star.

On another note, I felt really bad for Micayla (sp?) when she vaulted onto her butt at the end and only got the silver. She had to be devastated, but when she did an interview after, she mentioned that she could not have received gold after landing on her butt.
    It's got to be so hard, I'd imagine, to train so long for something - especially something that you're tops in - and then make a mistake like that when it really counts!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I felt really bad for Micayla (sp?) when she vaulted onto her butt at the end and only got the silver. She had to be devastated, but when she did an interview after, she mentioned that she could not have received gold after landing on her butt.
    It's got to be so hard, I'd imagine, to train so long for something - especially something that you're tops in - and then make a mistake like that when it really counts!
    She fell flat on her butt & still got a silver medal. This in itself is an amazing accomplishment.
    Everyone is acting like it only happened to her.
    This is the story of the Olympics. The so-called best in the world make a slight blunder the almost never make, some have a very rare bad night, some just get an unlucky score. It happens. It sucks, but it happens.
    It happened in swimming, it happened in men's gymnastics, it happened in running, it happened in women's gymnastics. We already saw the same thing happen to others in women's gymnastics. It happened in all the previous Olympics too.
    It's no more shocking or awful for Makala than it is for any of the others.
    The difference is how they handle it. That had to be the coldest hug I ever saw, that she gave to the Romanian gold medal winner. Not to mention the look at the medal ceremony.

Force a smile on your face, be glad for the gold medal winner who earned their place, then cry in private in your room. I know these Olympians very often have quite an entitled attitude, but that was just plain bad sportsmanship.
    norealityhere likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

OMG the women's soccer right now is crazy! The Cdn women were nervous at first, it was obvious, but that goal by Sinclair was a thing of beauty.

Go Canada Go!

FORT Fogey

Read an article in the July 2 issue of Time today (physical therapy waiting rooms, like doctors' offices, have out of date magazines). Apparently, a number of Olympic teams went through Navy SEAL training as part of their pre-Olympic training, including groups like the sailing team. The ones the SEALS were most impressed with were the women's field hockey team. The SEALS said that they've had college football stars and NFL players walk away from the same training their entire team completed successfully.

Also, with regard to the whole hair issue, the one thing that made me laugh during the Olga Korbut interview was how bad her hair was when she was as a gymnast compared to what's attracting attention in 2012. Her two little pigtails looked like what a four year old does to her doll's hair. The adult Olga's hair is much better.

Oh, and hooray for the British equestrian show jumping team for taking gold--the first time since the 1950s, I think they said. Especially terrific since one of their riders just shattered his new in January. That takes some seriously intense rehab to get back in the saddle in time for the Olympics. Speaking of bizarre circumstances that affect athletes, in an earlier team show jumping round, a rider had a rein snap in half while he was going over a jump. Talk about bad luck. He had a fault at the jump but he managed to grab the rest of the rein and finish the round at least.

+ Reply to Thread