+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 112 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    That's a high profile race, so they are holding it back for prime time when they have a bigger audience

Well that make sense. Its not a long race though. I am sure CTV here will show it again tonight( in primetime) It's worth watching
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

McKayla always looks like that; it's her default expression and I don't think she is always as sour as she appears. She's a phenomenal vaulter and it must be hard when you're viewed as a lock for gold...ah, well.

Bolt did great.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I saw Oprah's Olympic show, Critical.

I don't care for Oprah (the high-fiving, the talking over guests when they're trying to answer her questions, etc.), but I tuned in so I could see what was up with these guys and gals now.

I absolutely agree with you that --- at least, for me --- watching that show was kinda like taking a bite out of a slice of pizza you'd been craving all day, only to have the rest of it slip out of your hand and onto the ground. I think it would've been better if she'd made the show longer in one sitting, or just done a two-parter. Or, like you suggested, have less people on.

I also agree that McKayla might've maybe wanted to smooth out her face on the podium. On the pictures I've seen, the only thing that's missing is the smoke coming out of her collar, and the steam coming out of her ears. OTOH, I have to admit that this girl --- never mind that she competes on an international level in what is termed women's artistic gymnastics --- has the ungodly nerves of steel to even get out there and try amazing athletics on a world stage that I NEVER would have had the guts to do when I was her age. And I had to remind myself that her age is 16. And that on the podium with that face, maybe she was trying NOT to cry and was beating HERSELF up inside because she had a fall and landed on her butt on a world stage.

I might very well have had steam coming out of my ears, too, on the podium, had I been her. Or maybe even been bawling like a baby. Who knows? Wish she could've used that steel that's in her to present a poker face (if not a happy one, at least) on the podium, but I'm trying real hard to remind myself that chronologically, at least, I still think of her as a girl, in a lot of ways, and she IS.

In a similar vein, I remember when Debi Thomas wound up with a bronze back in '88. She was skating against the likes of Katarina Witt, IIRC, in "The Battle of the Carmens". Bless her heart, that was NOT a good performance (I think she actually almost fell completely out of an attempted jump, at one point!). I remember seeing her damn near stomp out to the podium (on ICE SKATES!) to receive her bronze medal, and stand there with a tight jaw while Katarina's national anthem was played. Some interviewer asked her about her demeanor and face on the podium later on, and IIRC her response was something to the effect of how disappointed she was in herself that she'd tanked so badly, and was thinking at the time if she should be asking around: "Here's a bronze medal! Does ANYBODY want a bronze medal! I've got one for you!" I think at the time she would've been about 20 or 21 years old.

So, we're talking a four or five year age spread between McKayla (a girl) and Debi (an adult) at the time of their performance problems in the Olympics, but both were still athletes on a world stage when their flubs occurred, and after all that training and practice (AND MONEY!) over a LOT of years, that HAD to have hurt and angered them, and made them beat themselves up inside.

I tried to remind myself of that when I saw McKayla's face in pictures today.
    Last edited by ness; 08-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Agreed.

I wasn't a happy camper, either, about the missing medal ceremony, but I found myself drawn into the Korbut piece when it started running. I remember seeing those Games, and it was interesting to find out that ABC had planned only a thimbleful of coverage on gymnastics back then. With all the TV coverage gymnastics has gained over the years as a marquee Olympics sport, I was kind of like "Whaaat?!" when they said that.

You can ALWAYS learn something, can't you? LOL!

It was also a real treat to see Olga today. She sparkles now just as she did back then!

That was a really good report!
    Olga Korbut exploded on to the scene in the 1972 Munich Olympics and really put women's gymnastics on the map. She was not considered number 1, 2 or 3 on the team. When she did her famous salto off the high bar on the uneven bars in the old USSR it was considered a circus trick. While she is cited as having done the first back somersault on the beam, Cathy Rigby also had done it in practice and was planning to show it during her beam routine during the team finals but decided not too in case she fell. Olga Korbut is one reason why their was such emphasis put on gymnastics during the following Olympics in Montreal in 1976. Everyone wanted to see the sweetheart of Munich but then Nadia Comaneci and the Romanians showed up and the rest is history.
    Florimel and jucamer like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

NBC spent all this time this afternoon talking about the Murray-Federer final and building up to it ("Roger Federer has arrived at the venue." etc.) and then, just as they were breaking for the day, they spoiled the match by previewing (I think) an interview with Andy Murray in the evening coverage! They hadn't shown one second of the match, talked to McEnroe about how he though the match would go, acted like they'd be showing us the match and then spoiled it. WTF!? I already know the outcome, but I wonder what the point of all that was.

Maybe a runner can answer this for me. I watched quite a bit of the women's marathon today and, as with other years, so many of the women either dropped out or fell back dramatically from the lead runners. Is this just because of the conditions they can't train for - weather, the speed of the other runners, how they will feel that day, etc.? It just seems like they would have trained SO much for that event. I guess I'm surprised at how many have trouble.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

NBC showed the Federer Murray match at 9am.

Or 6AM my time. Wasn't going to be up for that. They just kept talking it up like they were going to show it again and then they didn't.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Just watched McKayla win silver for the vaulting. What I found most disgusting was the way the commentators were gloating over how great McKayla was and what a shoo in the US was for a Gold. It was very distasteful and off putting to the point I was rooting for all the other girls and was very glad Romania won the Gold. Just wish that Oksana from the German team had been able to win a medal to cap of her career.

Hooray for Great Britain in the men's pommel horse.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The commentators got on my nerves with all the fawning over McKayla, too.

And she KNEW everybody was expecting that she'd wind up being the Vault Queen of the Olympics, so that just added MORE pressure on her.

No wonder I thought I saw steam coming out of her ears in the podium photos.

Poor kid.

But, she DID wind up with a silver, even after the fall, so that ain't too shabby (even though she most likely doesn't feel that way about it or see it that way, right now).
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

All the talk about Gabby Douglas and her hair has me paying more attention to the hair of other female athletes. I don't know how some of those runners can race with their long hair flapping around. It would drive me crazy!

Sometimes I think the athletes who know they have no chance of winning a medal actually have a better time at the Olympics than the athletes who have so much expectation weighing on them. I feel sad for the athletes who are expected to win and don't, but I still wish they'd suck it up a bit more in front of the cameras. Sports isn't just about winning, it's about participating AND learning how to lose with grace.

I still remember Debi Thomas at the '88 Winter Games. I lost respect for her. I'm sure it's hard when you work most of your life for something and it doesn't work out, but there's only going to be one winner and sometimes it doesn't go your way.
    jucamer likes this.

+ Reply to Thread