+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 112 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Interesting how FIG rules aren't benefitting US gymnasts: Raisman misses all-around bronze to Mustafina who fell on beam. Wieber misses all-around finals. Now Maroney, best vaulter in the world, loses due to a fall.

Not saying anyone should win with a fall. Just that the rules should function fairly for all competitors.
    Well, now that I know that, I can probably skip coverage tonight...Air McKayla was really the only reason I was planning to make sure and watch the individual events (and I'm not blaming anyone for being spoiled--I realize I take that risk when I come here).

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    watching Fed/Murray match... Go Andy!!!
    And he won GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have to admit that the Olga Korbut piece was interesting despite not getting my tennis medal ceremony.
    Agreed.

I wasn't a happy camper, either, about the missing medal ceremony, but I found myself drawn into the Korbut piece when it started running. I remember seeing those Games, and it was interesting to find out that ABC had planned only a thimbleful of coverage on gymnastics back then. With all the TV coverage gymnastics has gained over the years as a marquee Olympics sport, I was kind of like "Whaaat?!" when they said that.

You can ALWAYS learn something, can't you? LOL!

It was also a real treat to see Olga today. She sparkles now just as she did back then!

That was a really good report!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I guess they want you to keep watching and waiting for the medal ceremonies. Alas, I couldn't.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Interesting how FIG rules aren't benefitting US gymnasts: Raisman misses all-around bronze to Mustafina who fell on beam. Wieber misses all-around finals. Now Maroney, best vaulter in the world, loses due to a fall.

Not saying anyone should win with a fall. Just that the rules should function fairly for all competitors.
    As soon as McKayla had that incredible vault the other night, I knew there was no way she wouldn't fall in the event finals. I feel for her, but wish she'd kept that sour look off her face during the medal ceremony. I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with that sort of disappointment, especially coming into the event as the favorite, but I still think you need to suck it up and keep a poker face. It's still a MEDAL.

I'm really happy for Andy Murray! I always root for Roger, but this is a special case. I would have loved it if Roger won, but I think it meant more for Andy to win in front of his home country and FOR his country.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

NBC is full of [....]. it is sunday afternoon and they are not showing the finale of the 100m men. Usein Bolt won.

Mckayla looked pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    NBC is full of [....]. it is sunday afternoon and they are not showing the finale of the 100m men. Usein Bolt won.
    They didnt show it? wow.There were also 3 from the USA in that race. Bolt is poetry in motion- I am so glad he won
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

nope. they were showing horse jupping

FORT Fogey

That's a high profile race, so they are holding it back for prime time when they have a bigger audience

The Hollywood Reporter, of all sites, has a nice interview with some previous US Olympians. It's Greg Louganis, Sugar Ray Leonard, Janet Evans and Cobi Jones. Olympic Conversation: THR Talks to 4 Famous Olympians Gallery - The Hollywood Reporter

I linked to "slide" number 4, because that's the full interview video. The first three have excerpts, which I watched first and THEN found out they had the full interview. Anyway, they talk about their most memorable moments, meeting fans and the Olympic experience, among other things. Really good for Olympics fanatics!

Did anyone watch Oprah's Olympic special a few weeks ago? I thought it was good, but I thought she tried to do too much. I thought it needed to be longer or she needed to not interview so many people. The interviews all just seemed to brush the surface. I'd forgotten how annoying I find it when Oprah high-fives people. It was great to see all of the athletes, but I wished there was more depth in the interviews...although I guess that's not really possible when each athlete gets maybe 5 or 6 minutes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread