+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 112 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

The FIG right up with the figure skating a few years ago. That's the problem with sports that have subjective scoring. At least with timed sports, the JUDGES can't cheat.....or at least not easily.

I'm shocked at how many officials have been expelled during the Games....and how many athletes too. I'm also shocked at how many of the athlete expulsions have nothing to do with drugs.

So, it's the middle Saturday of the Olympics and there's NO coverage on NBC from 3-8PM. WTF?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Loved the short piece on Shelley Ann Fraser Price, the Jamaican woman who just won the 100 meter dash. Not only is she now a back to back gold medalist in the event, but she's the first person in her family to graduate from college, which is quite an accomplishment given that she grew up in what she referred to herself as a terribly difficult place for girls to grow up. When she was twelve and walking home from school, some jerk told her it was about time she started having sex. She went home, told her mother, and her mother picked up a cutlass, found the guy, and told him he better not be bothering her again or he wouldn't be having sex with anyone ever.

While she was growing up, she was also told by others that she'd never amount to anything else. Now she says she looks in the mirror and says, "Well, I guess I was right and they were wrong." She also came off as upbeat without being alarmingly perky--just like she'd be fun to hang out with.

And brava to Jeter of the U.S., who took the silver, and when asked if it was hard to peak at the U.S. nationals and then come here and finish second, said that yes, it's hard to peak twice, but she'd run a personal best and was blessed to have won a silver medal, so everything was good. I don't know why she couldn't simply be congratulated and asked how she felt as opposed to having the question phrased as if she ought to be disappointed with her performance, when there was no reason for her to be.
    mindy384 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Talk about a power pack finale at the 100m women. Wow. it could have been anybody. Allison had a terrible start.
    The men will be though. I don't think Usein Bolt will take it.

FORT Fogey

Hey, the women's 4x100 swimming relay gold medalists all appear to know the words to "The Star Spangled Banner." Good for them. I like it when the medalists sing.

Although, I do remember Scott Moir, the male half of Virtue/Moir, the Canadian ice dancing team who won gold in Vancouver, obviously singing his anthem lustily and people commenting positively on that only to have his partner joke that that's because they weren't standing next to him. Apparently, Scott's voice doesn't quite match his enthusiasm.

FORT Fogey

I know the announcers are all caught up in it being Michael Phelps' final race, but geez, that was one fabulous final leg by Nathan Adrian. He had took Phelps' slight lead and built it to the point that he smoked everyone else in the pool. And he only one his 100 gold by a tenth? Sure didn't look like it tonight. He was flying.
    Florimel and justCoz like this.

FORT Fogey

I don't think non-swimmers can even really begin to appreciate what Michael Phelps means to us. It's hard to even put into words. He took a sport that was so incredibly difficult and time consuming but underappreciated and uncool and made it cool. He brought so much glory to the sport with every record and every incredible accomplishment. He did so with incredible humility and grace. He deserves every bit of attention he gets and more. Truly, he is a treasure and an American hero.

That being said, that was a truly incredible swim by Nathan Adrian. I think he's going to be a big part of Rio 2016. That whole relay was filled with great swims and great characters. I mean, there's no more likable combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

So, it's the middle Saturday of the Olympics and there's NO coverage on NBC from 3-8PM. WTF?
    That's ridiculous. Here in Canada, CTV has Olympic coverage from first thing in the morning straight through the day until 2 pm PT when they break for one hour of news, then back to the games through the evening. We also get hours of coverage on another channel, Sportsnet I believe, that shows many of the lesser known events. By the evening, if you've been watching all day, it might get a little repetitive, but then I just switch to the other channel and watch, say, beach volleyball or water polo, or wrestling, or badminton, or what have you. We literally get hours and hours of coverage, as much as they can cram in a day.

NBC really has dropped the ball in so many ways for the American audience, which is such a shame as the US now stands on the top with the most medals won. I just don't get it!
    football_chick likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    NBC really has dropped the ball in so many ways for the American audience, which is such a shame as the US now stands on the top with the most medals won. I just don't get it!
    NBC really chocked this year. NO medals for them. they only made the finale because of the online streaming, which is very good

That's ridiculous. Here in Canada, CTV has Olympic coverage from first thing in the morning straight through the day until 2 pm PT when they break for one hour of news, then back to the games through the evening. We also get hours of coverage on another channel, Sportsnet I believe, that shows many of the lesser known events. By the evening, if you've been watching all day, it might get a little repetitive, but then I just switch to the other channel and watch, say, beach volleyball or water polo, or wrestling, or badminton, or what have you. We literally get hours and hours of coverage, as much as they can cram in a day.

Oh, it totally sucks. I know some people have been saying that they don't have coverage from 5-8PM during the week because people work, but I call b.s. What's their excuse for not having coverage for 5 hours in the middle of the day today? It wasn't even news or anything. It was kids programming and some local sports stuff in my city. I was reading articles on a British site and people are complaining about the BBC coverage as well. I wonder if any network could satisfy people. It sounds like CTV is certainly doing a better job.

CNBC was on for part of those 5 hours, but it was all boxing, which I don't watch. I think another NBC channel had Volleyball. Still, NBC didn't have anything for that time. I can't think of any good excuse for that. They paid a ton of money for the rights to the Olympics, if it was ME, I'd be getting my money's worth and airing something from the Olympics 24/7!

On another note, Sanya Richards-Ross' husband, Aaron is HOT! Wow! What a beautiful man. I'm not a football fan, so I had no idea who he was. He's pretty.

I understand runners (and swimmers) slowing up a bit as they reach the finish line in a preliminary heat, but not when it's going to be a close race. Aren't the lane assignments based on the times from those preliminaries? I would think that they'd make darn sure they got a great time, especially if the race was close.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That is the main reason when I lived near Lake Erie and Lake Ontario my family always watched the CTV instead of the American stations.
    sweetpea likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread