+ Reply to Thread
Page 79 of 112 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

The uniform/track suits the US athletes have are HORRIBLE! Who thought gray was a good idea? Plus, the hood flops down over the "United" part of the country name It's always wonderful to see US athletes on the podium, but what the heck? No red, white and blue outfits!? Ridiculous.
    justCoz likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It seems like the US team always cycles out the older gymnasts because the field is so deep. Very few of them come back for a second Games. Maybe Jordyn will be one of them, but gymnastics is one of those sorts where you age out very young....figure skating is another example of that, although it's not quite so bad. I can't think of anyone since Shannon Miller who came back a second time and really did well, but I could be wrong.
    Dominique Dawes competed in 1992, 1996, and 2000.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The uniform/track suits the US athletes have are HORRIBLE! Who thought gray was a good idea? Plus, the hood flops down over the "United" part of the country name It's always wonderful to see US athletes on the podium, but what the heck? No red, white and blue outfits!? Ridiculous.
    The grey was awful--and it does not photograph well. Plus the lettering on the back that spelled out United States of America looked disturbingly like the lettering they use on the DOC outfits worn by the inmates of our local state pen. Was Ralph Lauren responsible for that stupidity too or was that Nike, since the Nike swoosh was on the jackets---even though individual athletes aren't allowed to accept endorsements to help pay for training.

FORT Fogey

Any comments on the latest controversy in women's badminton? It does seem a little suspicious that nobody could seem to keep a rally together for more than four returns--most backyard badminton players can do that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Any comments on the latest controversy in women's badminton? It does seem a little suspicious that nobody could seem to keep a rally together for more than four returns--most backyard badminton players can do that.
    they were all disqualified. but i think that robin round rule is stupid. My god so many stupid rules. So if you win, you will meet the best seeded, if you lose, you meet a lesser opponent!

I thought i was the only one who hated the gray color.

Dominique Dawes competed in 1992, 1996, and 2000.
    with the new rules and requirements, she would not have been able to complete. Things changed in 2001 and went downhile. Why do people want to change rules that are not broken.

FORT Fogey

Click to see Spoiler:
    the guys are not doing so good in the all around. so far after 3 round, john is 23 of 24 and dannell 17 or 24. They struggle again on pommel horse

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    I really hate the fact that women gym has become the teenagers sport. That is why so many people lost interests on it and the silly rules. I only follow during the olympics now.The 20 yrs olds don't stand a chance. Russia is also "recycle" each olympic. I miss the korkina era. Anybody remember her?
    I remember her in the Sydney Olympics. She was a performer.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Russia did better when they didn't recycle. Larisa Latynina, the one they keep referring to as being the most decorated Olympian, won six medals in 1956, six in 1960, and six in 1964 (when she was 30 years old.) Michael Phelps just beat her record yesterday by getting his 19th.

Ludmilla Tourischeva was another one who completed successfully in 3 Olympics (1968, 1972, and 1976).

I also remember American gymnast Kathy Johnson, who was 24 in her last Olympic Games and did win a couple of medals at that age. She had a floor exercise to the music from Swan Lake that was as balletic as it was gymnastic. It's the only routine I can still picture to this day.

I wish the emphasis hadn't switched so completely to teenagers. The older one I remember had such maturity in their routines. It would be a nice mix to have both.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I really really don't understand why they even bother with music anymore in the women's floor routines for gymnastics. For me watching it looks like nothing much is even coordinated with the music or fitting with the music.

For whatever reason I usually find the women gymnasts fun to watch but this year I just didn't much fun at all watching them. Things felt rushed. Other things didn't look as artful or beautiful as they used to. Well really nothing felt as beautiful as it used to to me.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I really really don't understand why they even bother with music anymore in the women's floor routines for gymnastics. For me watching it looks like nothing much is even coordinated with the music or fitting with the music.

For whatever reason I usually find the women gymnasts fun to watch but this year I just didn't much fun at all watching them. Things felt rushed. Other things didn't look as artful or beautiful as they used to. Well really nothing felt as beautiful as it used to to me.
    No kidding. Worse, I couldn't even hear the music for much of the American gymnasts' performances, which was weird, given that when they were competing on other apparatus, I could hear the floor music for other gymnasts perfectly.

Perhaps it's because I'm a huge figure skating fan, but I never think the gymnasts seem that coordinated with the music anymore, because it's all about the big tumbling passes, which require those pauses while the music goes on and they stand their pulling themselves together for the next pass. It's hard to express music while standing still--though, of course, I completely understand why they have to do that in order to do the tumbling passes. It doesn't help that the same music gets recycled over and over again, which happens in figure skating too. Made me groan that a gymnast was using part of Phantom, because I'm so tired of hearing that at figure skating competitions (that and anything from Carmen).

+ Reply to Thread