+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 112 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Whoever is the head of fig should resign asap or he fired. Wow, my heart breaks for the ukrainians and they looked so young. I think the japanese guy was distracted by the roar of the crowd but still. Each olympic there is something. But this is not even close to the korean fencing controversy...the timer stopped .

Nbc coverage sucks this year. They should make it live, 5 hrs is not a big deal, they can reshow it again at night. That's how many countries do. They are just pathetic. And the way they snobbed the us team was aweful, all of a sudden they ignored the,. Years ago, we get to see mostly all teams, even those eliminated compete and you get accustomed to the names.And i am getting tired of the background stories. I don't care how somebody proposed to his gf.

Ouf..i feel better ,got it out my chest
    libgirl2 and Cootie like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Three things about Lochte in that race.

1) His best events are not sprints and he should not have been placed in the anchor leg.

2) He had completed the 200m freestyle only 20 minutes earlier and was not at his freshest. Again, he should not have been the anchor.

3) The French swimmer he was going against was the favorite from 2008 that Jason Lezak had caught and out touched. He was probably the most highly motivated swimmer in the pool for that race.

I don't blame Lochte. It was a coaching mistake.
    Of course we can't blame Lochte. Everyone at this event is trying their best and swimming as hard as they possibly can. He didn't do anything wrong - he got outswam. Plain and simple.

The US swimming coaches have made bad decisions in both the men's and women's 4x100 relays, and lost them both. I feel that the coaches are almost following the hype at this point - Lochte over Phelps, a very young exciting women's 4x100 over Coughlin and are paying the price. Lochte went into the Olympics being hailed as the new Michael Phelps, better than Michael Phelps, etc. which is incredibly unfair to him. He's an amazingly talented athlete - but no one's Michael Phelps. It's not fair to expect him to win them all - no one but Michael ever has.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Lochte was definitely out-swum but the guy who beat him swam like a beast. Got to applaud that. Would have been interesting to see how it would have played if the Americans had organized their team differently but we can't go backwards. And I definitely think Lochte should be applauded for his 400IM win, with more attention paid to that than to Phelps's placing, which was my point before.
    I kind of disagree with this. I mean, it goes both ways. Yes, more attention should have been paid to Lochte's success in the IM (although I think that outside of the commentator's little box, he got more than enough attention) but then at the same time, it needs to be acknowledged that when he dove in for the relay, they were about a body length ahead. By the time he was done, they were in second. It also needs to be acknowledged that the other 3 men swam phenomenally. The first swimmer swam against the fastest 100 freestyler in the world - and beat him. Michael Phelps swam incredibly. And Cullen Jones (who really is the one with a right to complain about lack of positive attention for his achievements) pulled a full body length ahead. Amazing.

Well the women's gymnastics team event should have started by now and I am off until midnight but I hope that NBC's coverage is better for them than for the men's team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I love synchronized diving.
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    mmmmmm.........all I can say is that the FIG is wack-a-doodle. First the Brits win Bronze then Silver then back to Bronze and the poor Ukrainians from fourth to Bronze and then back to fourth. They have got to do something about these rules.
    And what's with having to pay up front when you ask for an inquiry? Even though the commentators explained what was going on, it still looked terrible to have a coach hand a judge money along with the inquiry request. Couldn't they just bill the federation and if the bill didn't get paid, suspend them from competition until it was?

Though, honestly, have there been so many frivolous inquiries that they've decided teams have to pay for the privilege? I really don't know if that's true or not. Does any one else?

I just wanted to send a hug to the Ukrainian team, especially the one young gymnast who looked so disappointed.

I am so happy with the Brits team medal in the gymnastics. I wish the coverage had been better for all athletes as I have been watching some of what was not aired over here and there was some fantastic stuff.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Congrats to the women's US gymnastics team gold! They truly dominated and were on their game the whole way through.

HUGE congrats though to the Canadian team for making 5th. That is the best they have ever finished and they were obviously thrilled. WTG girls!!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

FORT Fogey

so next Olympic china will bring underage girls again?

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    so next Olympic china will bring underage girls again?
    You would think with a country behind a sport as much as China is behind gymnastics and the huge population pool they have to chose from and the huge number of girls they have in gymnastics schools they really do not have to have underage girls. If they can't win with the program they have now maybe they have to look into changing that program and or the methods they are using.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread