+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I take no notice. I can see that the athlete is trying, I give kudos to each and every one of them. The analysts are just that
    Florimel likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

When will the focus shift to Lochte - being the anchorman - and getting outswum (?) by the French. Isn't the anchorman put in that position because he's the strongest swimmer and can make up for being behind (if necessary)? Well, they were AHEAD until he got into the pool.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I take no notice. I can see that the athlete is trying, I give kudos to each and every one of them. The analysts are just that
    Sometimes the most moving stories are the ones about people who are just thrilled to be there. And I still remember many years ago when Paul Wylie won a bronze in men's skating.... he was so thrilled!
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're absolutely right, CCL. This is a sporting event taking place at least 5 hours ahead of the U.S., so most of it is likely not going to be shown live here, especially the most popular sports, which they usually save for prime time. The results are all over the internet and probably non-NBC stations as well. While it's nice if someone wants to use spoiler tags, it's not required here. If you want to remain unspoiled, you need to avoid this thread (and pretty much every news source) until the event you care about has aired on NBC.
    I know that we are 6 hours behind London but at least the local news and radio make a big production of letting you know it's a spoiler alert before they make any announcements. At least here in the Washington DC Metro area they do and I really appreciate that they do that so it won't spoil it if I view it later in the evening. I just wasn't expecting anything here cause I just got home from work and pow. Now I know better.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    When will the focus shift to Lochte - being the anchorman - and getting outswum (?) by the French. Isn't the anchorman put in that position because he's the strongest swimmer and can make up for being behind (if necessary)? Well, they were AHEAD until he got into the pool.
    Lochte was definitely out-swum but the guy who beat him swam like a beast. Got to applaud that. Would have been interesting to see how it would have played if the Americans had organized their team differently but we can't go backwards. And I definitely think Lochte should be applauded for his 400IM win, with more attention paid to that than to Phelps's placing, which was my point before.

The problem with judged sports is there is always going to be controversy over a decision just as there was today with the decision to change the Japanese score in men's gymnastics. Humans make mistakes, they don't always see things and sometimes they misjudge. They build in the right to protest a decision in the competition rules. The Japanese protested and the judges changed their minds; they didn't do it easily as you could tell it took them a long time to make a ruling. Still, it sucked for the Ukrainians and the poor Brits who thought they were second and then were bounced back to third (but worse for the Ukrainians). Not sure how you could ever really fix that in a judged sport though...they make tweaks and throw out low and high scores so people can't be low-balled or high-scored but there's always going to be situations where a decision is not felt to be the right one.

Anyways, the British men's gymnasts rocked. So happy for them. And I was really happy for Missy Franklin, too, and I'm counting her medals towards the Canadian totals.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Three things about Lochte in that race.

1) His best events are not sprints and he should not have been placed in the anchor leg.

2) He had completed the 200m freestyle only 20 minutes earlier and was not at his freshest. Again, he should not have been the anchor.

3) The French swimmer he was going against was the favorite from 2008 that Jason Lezak had caught and out touched. He was probably the most highly motivated swimmer in the pool for that race.

I don't blame Lochte. It was a coaching mistake.
    mindy384 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Sometimes the most moving stories are the ones about people who are just thrilled to be there. And I still remember many years ago when Paul Wylie won a bronze in men's skating.... he was so thrilled!
    I agree. I know I get teary just listening. Its not about the medal, its about geting there, and doing their very very best.
    I loved track and field at school, I won several medals, but if for some reason my family were not in attendance, it never felt as good. They have millions watching them- I cant imagine
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    No, Wylie won the silver. I'm quite sure of that, as I'm a huge Paul Wylie fan (just ask my dog--he'll definitely respond, as his name is Wylie).

Oh come on this is the worst coverage of men's gymnastics I have ever seen during an Olympics. Even if the American's are not in contention they usually show the top three teams but the minimal coverage that is being shown is insulting at best. What is NBC trying to hide? That the American Team fell apart? That if they don't air it no one will know? Way to treat the rest of the world NBC; where is your Olympic spirit?

mmmmmm.........all I can say is that the FIG is wack-a-doodle. First the Brits win Bronze then Silver then back to Bronze and the poor Ukrainians from fourth to Bronze and then back to fourth. They have got to do something about these rules.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread