+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 112 FirstFirst ... 25656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    so sad for the men gymnastic, i thought they were easily silver or Gold. or maybe NBC overhyped them?
    This needs spoiler tags. I was planing to watch this evening and now what is the point. I think the policy should be wait until NBC has aired it before discussing events without spoiler tags.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

They were unprepared for the Olympic final. Even when they marched out, they looked nervous & scared. Only one guy on the team is over 21, and he's the only that had ever been to the Olympics before. I think the whole team peaked at trials, unfortunately.

FORT Fogey

sorry Bearcata. I wanted to edit but couldn't . i found it on Front page Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I'm hoping so, too, Captain.
    I think the whole torch passing kind of got me. I think they should have just had Roger Bannister do it. I understood the point they were trying to make - showing the potential hopefuls - but they were just that; hopefuls. And it just got boring.
    I enjoyed the torch passing as I always do, but I completely agree about Roger Bannister. It was such a pleasure to see him and I'd been wondering if he would be there. I'd have liked to see him be the final torch carrier and light the flame.

I also enjoyed the ceremonies. Some parts were not quite as entertaining as other, and Beijing was an impossible act to follow, but in addition to Bannister, I loved Kenneth Brannagh reading Shakespeare and the bit with James Bond and the Queen. She showed her sense of humor just be agreeing to do it in the first place. Although I'm not a big fan of the whole royalty thing, I think she looks wonderful for 86 and Philip at 90 looks amazing.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    sorry Bearcata. I wanted to edit but couldn't . i found it on Front page Yahoo.
    Weeeeeeeeell, okkkay, but please be careful as gymnastics is one of my favorite parts of the Olympics, and diving, and the marathon (woman's). snif, snif, tear.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

I'm pretty sure the requirement for spoiler tags is only in the reality tv threads. Otherwise, it's nice but not required according to forum rules. Especially considering that the outcomes are long since known before they are shown on TV (NBC, Canadian channels are better at showing things live), it's hard not to find out who won what. Maybe a mod could confirm.

Regarding the gymnastics thing...while it sucks for Wieber if those are the rules, those are the rules. Everyone knew them coming in and had to perform accordingly. She wasn't the only athlete who missed out on the all-around because of the "only two from any one country" rule - there were three other athletes affected. That said, I think it's silly that someone who comes in fourth isn't allowed to advance. I know the rule was put into place to stop any one country from dominating but, whatever, who cares...if the best three are all from one country, so be it. I kind of felt bad for Raisman as the whole focus seemed to be on Wieber not getting in rather than her getting into the final (sort of how there was a lot of focus on Phelps coming in fourth in the IM, with some of the attention drawn from the actual winner, Lochte).
    Off to watch Olympics on the dvr!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I'm pretty sure the requirement for spoiler tags is only in the reality tv threads. Otherwise, it's nice but not required according to forum rules. Especially considering that the outcomes are long since known before they are shown on TV (NBC, Canadian channels are better at showing things live), it's hard not to find out who won what. Maybe a mod could confirm.
    You're absolutely right, CCL. This is a sporting event taking place at least 5 hours ahead of the U.S., so most of it is likely not going to be shown live here, especially the most popular sports, which they usually save for prime time. The results are all over the internet and probably non-NBC stations as well. While it's nice if someone wants to use spoiler tags, it's not required here. If you want to remain unspoiled, you need to avoid this thread (and pretty much every news source) until the event you care about has aired on NBC.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    (sort of how there was a lot of focus on Phelps coming in fourth in the IM, with some of the attention drawn from the actual winner, Lochte).
    Off to watch Olympics on the dvr!
    Anyone notice that all throughout the coverage the reporters/analysts/etc.. kept saying things like "Phelps [dissapointing, bad, whatnot] loss...poor performance, wasn't even close"... they make it sound as if he came in dead last or drowned or something--fourth isnt too shabby when you are actually competing against the best in the world (im looking at you gymnastics/FIG) and didnt train properly.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

In more gymnastics news nonsense, apparently Japan challenged the judges decision on a score and the judges raised the score from 13.466 to 14.166--effectively shifting the overall placement of 2nd and 3rd and denying the Ukranians a bronze medal. Japan argued that Kohei Uchimura was underscored (and even though he messed up) said his difficulty was much higher. A half point (especially with a mistake) seems like a large increase and I can't believe the FIG has the audacity to defend this as well....basically, they have admitted that the ENTIRE judging panel missed something as significant as a incredible difference in difficulty (if they can't identify moves why are they olympic judges) and are open to awarding and taking away medals at any time. If this is the case then maybe they should review everyones' scores or get some new judges--right after they change their ridiculous 2 gymnast rule that denies the bests gymnasts in the world the opportunity to compete for Olympic gold. If this is how the International Gymnastics Federation is running things then maybe it's time for a new regime.
    Last edited by mindy384; 07-30-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    Florimel and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Anyone notice that all throughout the coverage the reporters/analysts/etc.. kept saying things like "Phelps [dissapointing, bad, whatnot] loss...poor performance, wasn't even close"... they make it sound as if he came in dead last or drowned or something--fourth isnt too shabby when you are actually competing against the best in the world (im looking at you gymnastics/FIG) and didnt train properly.
    They do that all the time! God forbid the person wins a bronze... they are such a loser! Geesh! I know big things were expected of him... but we are talking a 3 second difference between 1st and 4th place!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread