+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 112 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

FORT Fogey

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    One gets to carry it at the opening, one at the closing ceremony I would guess. When you get more than two you get issues.

While Roots is a Canadian company, founded in Canada, the founders are American (from Michigan). So there's that.

I didn't watch all of the athletes trooping in. I find that a bit boring. I did watch Canada, of course, and I saw some others (mainly the early alphabet) I missed the unaffiliated athletes. I did see the Americans.
    That's a perfectly sensible explanation of the flag bearer issue. It probably is countries with just three or four who have bigger issues with that.

The flack I heard about the Ralph Lauren outfits was that while Ralph Lauren is an American designer, the uniforms were made in China instead of in America, thus costing American textile workers work. If that was the big problem, I don't think they'd care if Roots was founded by an American if the outfits weren't made in America (though for all I know, they were--does Roots have American factories?).

The unaffiliated athletes were great. They had obviously choreographed their entrance with a lot of group dance moves. Not that they were great dancers or that the moves were anything that you couldn't see elsewhere, but they were just so enthusiastic about it and having such a good time. It kind of reminded me of closing ceremonies, when the athletes all just enter in a bunch and they're generally looser and more casual about it. In Albertville in 1992, I remember the male American figure skaters carrying the female skaters in on their shoulders.

FORT Fogey

I'm sitting here watching the gold medal round of women's foil between two Italians I've never heard of--and I've never fenced. This morning at 6 a.m., I was watching the men's cycling road race. I can ride a bike, but it's not like I care about the sport generally. Yep. It's official. I have Olympic fever, though my bouts of summer Olympic fever are generally less intense than my cases of winter Olympic fever and don't last as long either.

(FYI: I didn't get up at six just to watch the Olympics. I always get up at six in order to let the dog out, feed him, and give him his insulin--and to be fair, your viewing options at that hour are pretty limited...and I did fall asleep again and thus missed part of the road race, though I did also see swimming heats and the results for a women's air rifle event...and some men's badminton).

CCL

Not sure re: factories. Probably not. I get the point but I think it's rather a brouhaha over nothing. They're just outfits. The Egyptian team was wearing fake Nike gear (because they couldn't afford the real thing) until Nike got wind of it and sent them free gear.

I saw part of the road race; I liked where they were racing but it is kind of worrisome the public could get right on the road too. Made me think of that time when someone came out of the crowd and tackled a marathoner.

I saw the independent/unaffiliated athletes marching in on the Internet. So cute. They're all from the former Netherlands Antilles (now Curaçao).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

The flack I heard about the Ralph Lauren outfits was that while Ralph Lauren is an American designer, the uniforms were made in China instead of in America, thus costing American textile workers work. If that was the big problem, I don't think they'd care if Roots was founded by an American if the outfits weren't made in America (though for all I know, they were--does Roots have American factories?).

The unaffiliated athletes were great. They had obviously choreographed their entrance with a lot of group dance moves. Not that they were great dancers or that the moves were anything that you couldn't see elsewhere, but they were just so enthusiastic about it and having such a good time. It kind of reminded me of closing ceremonies, when the athletes all just enter in a bunch and they're generally looser and more casual about it. In Albertville in 1992, I remember the male American figure skaters carrying the female skaters in on their shoulders.
    Last edited by CCL; 07-28-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Not sure re: factories. The Egyptian team was wearing fake Nike gear (because they couldn't afford the real thing) until Nike got wind of it and sent them free gear.

I saw part of the road race; I liked where they were racing but it is kind of worrisome the public could get right on the road too. Made me think of that time when someone came out of the crowd and tackled a marathoner.
    I had that thought but in reverse. I was wondering what might happen if there was a pile up among the bicyclists and someone skidded into the crowd, when it almost did happen when the Italian cyclist slammed headfirst into the barrier when he took a turn to fast (and there were fans crowded right up to the edge of that barrier, which looked to me like what's used as snow fencing around here, meaning it's quite pliable). He wasn't hurt and no one else appeared to be either, but it was sheer dumb luck that the racers behind him were able to avoid his bike and not go down as well. Okay, I'm sure skill on their part was involved too, but if his bike had flown behind him at a different angle, all the skill in the world wouldn't have helped them avoid hitting it.

Loving Ryan Lochte right now

Set my PVR to start taping at 4am, got up at 7am and fast forwarded through some of the longer events i.e road race. Very disappointed in the rowing - Men's Eights. I hope Team Canada can step it up in the repechage.

I thought the opening ceremonies were just okay. Hated Sir Paul McCartney's performance but did enjoy the story telling piece throughout. I love the cauldron!

I loved it all .But then I always do. Every country wants part of its past in the opening ceremonies. It was nice to see.
    Florimel and Cootie like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've been watching on and off all day. I watched the USA beat Colombia in soccer. I watched about 2 minutes of table tennis. Now we're watching boxing, not my first choice but since I intend to watch tons of Olympic events MrCoz won't want to I'm sticking it out. On the good side of that the boxer from Cleveland had an exciting match.

Tonight I'll switch over to regular coverage. I love watching the Olympics. No clue why I like it so much since normally I wouldn't watch sports. I do know my favorite events are racing of some sort.

Fort Member

I am the same
    Usually avoid watching sport at all cost but love love love watching the olympics and find myself watching everything fom fencing to handball
    We choose a country in each sport we watch to support as Australia is not in every sport and althogh we wont admit it often we are also not good at some that we are in and the only thing Indonesia is good at is badmitton
    But we will spend the next two weeks watching sport then try to avoid it for four years

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Thank you! I have been the only one of my friends that was disappointed. I was bored to be honest. I hope this is not a start of how the games will go for me.
    I'm hoping so, too, Captain.
    I think the whole torch passing kind of got me. I think they should have just had Roger Bannister do it. I understood the point they were trying to make - showing the potential hopefuls - but they were just that; hopefuls. And it just got boring.
    Florimel likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I loved every second of the Opening Ceremonies! My favorite part wasn't actually aired in the States, but I caught it on the Internet. Maybe it is my British bias showing but I was so full of pride and love for my country watching everything.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread