+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 22626364656667686970717273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

CCL

Re: The Olympic Games

I liked it but didn't love it. I really liked the beginning with the different choirs for the four parts of GB, Kenneth Branagh reading from The Tempest, and the change from the pastoral scene to the smokestacks of the industrial revolution. I also liked the Bond/Queen segment (corgis!), Mr Bean and the lighting of the cauldron. The music from different decades section went on too long and I felt like they spent a disproportionate amount of time on the 60s/70s; I liked the social media aspect and the main girl was very pretty. The NHS/children's literature section was better in theory than practice for me. I also found it weird they had a remembrance for spectators' loved ones that had passed on, especially when they refused to have a moment's silence for the Israeli athletes murdered 40 years ago (as the latter is directly connected with the Olympics and the former is not).
    On with the Games!
    Last edited by CCL; 07-28-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fogey

I found the opening to the Games disjointed. It's not that there weren't parts that I liked--mostly the ones that have already been mentioned--but there wasn't much connection between various sections of the opening. The way it started, moving from the pastoral to the industrial revolution, made it seem as if they were planning on some kind of historical progression. But then they moved onto that odd combination of socialized medicine and children's literature. Then they jumped back to the historical idea, but they spent a disproportionate amount of time on the sixties, seventies, eighties etc. By contrast, what exactly happened to the rest of British history? For instance, the point was made that the last time that London hosted the games it was the first post-WWII Olympics and London was still recovering from the wreckage of the blitz. But if the announcers hadn't mentioned it, who would have known?

I was also disappointed that while they started with Shakespeare, the only other literary quotation was from Peter Pan. Given the depth of British literature, they could have used short readings like that as transitions between various scenes, in order to give some sense of why each section followed its predecessor. And good heavens, 2012 is the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birth. I'm pretty sure he's at least as well known as J.M. Barrie or even J. K. Rowling, and he certainly had something to say about how the poor and working class were used in the 19th century, which seemed to be part of what they were introducing with the whole industrial revolution thing. Why not use something from one of his many, many works as a reading?

Oh, yeah, and British children's literature and no A. A. Milne? To quote Winnie himself, "Oh, bother"
    sweetpea and cantstopwatchin like this.

FORT Fogey

Almost forgot:

Worst Team Uniforms: Germany. Pink for the girls and Blue for the boys. Seriously? This is the Olympics, not your cousin's baby shower. And how are blue and pink related to Germany's national colors?

Best Team Entrance: The Unaffiliated Olympic Athletes, or whatever that small group of three (their fourth member wasn't at the opening ceremonies) was called. For athletes without countries, they were quite jolly and had obviously rehearsed. Who knew someone would try to flash mob the opening ceremonies with only three people?

Best Team Accessory: The Netherlands, for the tulips in everyone's jacket lapels. Very pretty and very Dutch.

Best Unexpectedly Coordinated Movement: The unison head tilt by the royal Corgis as the helicopter took off.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Because of wicked thunderstorms, we missed most of the good part of the opening ceremony, which for me is watching the athletes come into the stadium. We saw the C thru E nations and didn't get our satellite feed back until the T countries. We did get to see the US come in, so there's that. Saw GB come in, saw the torch lighting (impressive) and then as Paul McCartney started in on Hey Jude (possibly my least favorite Beatles song ever!) Mother Nature took the feed away again (and I silently said thank you!!)

I am not sure what it is, but I get the biggest kick out of the countries who are so small that their entire contingent of athletes could have come to the games in a mini-van.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Almost forgot:

Worst Team Uniforms: Germany. Pink for the girls and Blue for the boys. Seriously? This is the Olympics, not your cousin's baby shower. And how are blue and pink related to Germany's national colors?

Best Team Entrance: The Unaffiliated Olympic Athletes, or whatever that small group of three (their fourth member wasn't at the opening ceremonies) was called. For athletes without countries, they were quite jolly and had obviously rehearsed. Who knew someone would try to flash mob the opening ceremonies with only three people?

Best Team Accessory: The Netherlands, for the tulips in everyone's jacket lapels. Very pretty and very Dutch.

Best Unexpectedly Coordinated Movement: The unison head tilt by the royal Corgis as the helicopter took off.
    I loved the Unaffiliated Athletes. I'm cheering for them, whatever their events are.

German outfits were bad but I have to say the US flight attendant getups made me laugh out loud. With berets, no less. Kobe Bryant looked hilarious.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

CCL

I only know the story of one of the unaffiliated athletes. He is from South Sudan which just became a country this year so they do not have an Olympic committee set up (a country needs their own Olympic Committee to be eligible to send athletes). He didn't want to run for Sudan due to the whole history involved. He has been living in the US but the authorities didn't finish approving his citizenship in time. So he appealed to the IOC and they agreed to let him compete under the IOC flag. I'm glad that's an option for athletes like him.
    So happy at the men's 400 IM outcome!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I loved the Unaffiliated Athletes. I'm cheering for them, whatever their events are.

German outfits were bad but I have to say the US flight attendant getups made me laugh out loud. With berets, no less. Kobe Bryant looked hilarious.
    I thought the worst part of the U.S. outfits were the stupid knee length, pleated white skirts all the female athletes were wearing. C'mon, pants or shorts would have been so much more comfortable for that particular event. The skirts were just impractical, and when you have women of various shapes and sizes, a white skirt is not only impractical but not especially flattering. Yes, they're all athletes and all in shape--but in shape for their particular sports. A female shot putter and a female gymnast and a female basketball player are all likely to look physically different. A simple pant, and in navy, not white, would have been much better suited for the event and would have been more universally flattering.

I did think all the uproar over the fact that the uniforms were made in a foreign country (China) was kind of amusing though. I got the point about not out-sourcing the job, but I distinctly remember the Canadian company Roots outfitting U.S. Winter Olympic athletes in 2002 and at their request, because they liked what Roots had done for previous Canadian team. I have to agree. I still wear my 2002 Roots beret and get compliments on it, because it's jaunty and extremely practical, as it can be adjusted easily and worn above or over the ears, depending on how cold it is.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I only know the story of one of the unaffiliated athletes. He is from South Sudan which just became a country this year so they do not have an Olympic committee set up (a country needs their own Olympic Committee to be eligible to send athletes). He didn't want to run for Sudan due to the whole history involved. He has been living in the US but the authorities didn't finish approving his citizenship in time. So he appealed to the IOC and they agreed to let him compete under the IOC flag. I'm glad that's an option for athletes like him.
    So happy at the men's 400 IM outcome!
    He was the one who chose not to march in the opening ceremonies, but they did tell an abbreviated version of his story while the other three were dancing their way into the stadium.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Because of wicked thunderstorms, we missed most of the good part of the opening ceremony, which for me is watching the athletes come into the stadium. We saw the C thru E nations and didn't get our satellite feed back until the T countries. We did get to see the US come in, so there's that. Saw GB come in, saw the torch lighting (impressive) and then as Paul McCartney started in on Hey Jude (possibly my least favorite Beatles song ever!) Mother Nature took the feed away again (and I silently said thank you!!)

I am not sure what it is, but I get the biggest kick out of the countries who are so small that their entire contingent of athletes could have come to the games in a mini-van.
    I always wonder how the countries with only two representatives decide who gets to carry the flag? I know the U.S. athletes choose the flag bearer by popular vote, and I assume there are probably other countries which do the same thing. For other nations, maybe their Olympic committee chooses, or something like that. But when there are only two? Do they flip a coin? Does the non-flag bearer feel left out?

CCL

One gets to carry it at the opening, one at the closing ceremony I would guess. When you get more than two you get issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

I did think all the uproar over the fact that the uniforms were made in a foreign country (China) was kind of amusing though. I got the point about not out-sourcing the job, but I distinctly remember the Canadian company Roots outfitting U.S. Winter Olympic athletes in 2002 and at their request, because they liked what Roots had done for previous Canadian team. I have to agree. I still wear my 2002 Roots beret and get compliments on it, because it's jaunty and extremely
    practical, as it can be adjusted easily and worn above or over the ears, depending on how cold it is.
    While Roots is a Canadian company, founded in Canada, the founders are American (from Michigan). So there's that.

I didn't watch all of the athletes trooping in. I find that a bit boring. I did watch Canada, of course, and I saw some others (mainly the early alphabet) I missed the unaffiliated athletes. I did see the Americans.

+ Reply to Thread