+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 112 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

The gymnastic trials have been amazing. The decathlon blew me away. I adore all the water sports, too, and I'm eager to see equestrian, archery, all the field events and the othe combined events (pentathlon and heptathlon.) I'll pass on boxing and wrestling and I don't enjoy basketball or tennis since they allow professionals. Wimbledon has been amazing, but professional athletes should not be Olympians. What made the "Miracle on Ice" so special was that a group of college players beat the best in the world.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fanatic

I love watching gymnastics...both men's and women's. Can't wait to find out who made the teams tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25 View Post
    I love watching gymnastics...both men's and women's. Can't wait to find out who made the teams tonight.
    Wow, they're announcing it already? That was fast!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Whew, that was exciting! The men's gymnastics team is:

Jacob Dalton, Jonathan Horton, Danell Leyva, John Orozco, and Sam Mikulak.

Women's team is:

Gabby Douglas, Makayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross, and Jordyn Wieber.

So much emotion from everyone! It was fun to see them all let loose a little jumping & dancing together once they were all named to the team.

Dana Torres, at age 45, has made it to the 50 meter freestyle finals. If she qualifies, it will be her sixth Olympic Games. She's been a competitor at the games with Mary Lou Retton, Edwin Moses, and Rowdy Gaines. She has 12 medals, 4 of each color, but all her golds are in relays. She is trying for an individual gold. I think she's amazing and I hope she qualifies for the team.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

FORT Fogey

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Gabby Douglas - gymnastics - has made the team. She lived in Va Beach for awhile, so she's the "local favorite". Seems like an all-around good kid. I'll be cheering for her.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Gabby Douglas - gymnastics - has made the team. She lived in Va Beach for awhile, so she's the "local favorite". Seems like an all-around good kid. I'll be cheering for her.
    She's adorable! I was really impressed with her last night. I have to say though, her hair is really distracting. It's so pointed and poofy in the back that it makes her head look like an egg.

I was just thinking about Dara Torres the other day and wondering if she'd made it through. Yay for the old ladies!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    She's adorable! I was really impressed with her last night. I have to say though, her hair is really distracting. It's so pointed and poofy in the back that it makes her head look like an egg.

I was just thinking about Dara Torres the other day and wondering if she'd made it through. Yay for the old ladies!
    HA, HA! I was very distracted by her hair, too! It reminded me of the coneheads from Saturday Night Live. Aliens_conehead.gif

I was sorry Dara Torres didn't make it through. She is an inspiration.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

I, too, was disappointed that Dara Torres didn't make it. Her legs just didn't hold up enough to give her the start she needed. Still coming in 4th in a field of teenagers is pretty darn great. She can still hold her head up high.

I think we have two very competitive gymnastics teams and I hope for a good showing in London. It's so easy to make a small mistake that has big consequences. I wish them well.

+ Reply to Thread