+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

The Marriage Ref is so funny! I might check it out later this week! I appreciate Canada's efforts with this closing ceremony. It was clearly targeted for the Canadian audience and it seems like the Canadians enjoyed it. For me, I think a lot was lost in translation with the jokes and the singing. But the Olympics exposes you to different cultures and at least I can say I know what Canadians find funny and what kind of music they like to listen to. So good. It was an insightful experience.
    On to London 2012! How exciting! It could be the final Olympics before the world is destroyed (if you believe all of that) so it better be a good one!
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

Crit, I too, was a victim of NBC, and couldn't watch all of the closing ceremonies. What is up with that?? I had dinner outside at a BMO conference in Hollywood Beach, and a drunk Canadian chick must have made a right turn off of Robson, because she wandered in, picked up my wine, took a phone picture, and then staggered off in her hockey shirt. Priceless. I got a great shot with the Canadian and American flag, and had a great time at an after party. The Americans were very cool, and no sour grapes in the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3842855;
    Well, it's 11:25 pm here on the West coast and NBC STILL hasn't shown all of the closing ceremonies. They broke away for the premiere of The Marriage Ref and the local news cause, you know, no one has anywhere to be tomorrow morning NBC sucks.
    What was up with that? I thought it was just our local station that did that.

Thanks for the ride, Canada!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

IA, NBC sucks! I waited all week to see the BNL (I actually thought they'd be part of the Opening Ceremonies) and didn't know Alanis would be on but then the station cut to the Marriage Ref so we turned it off. I'm so bummed!!! BOOO NBC!!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I really thought the BNL would be on too, but I wonder if it's because they are still so new at being a band minus Steve Page? Still so sad they went their separate ways, as together they are awesome and would have rocked the house last night! Plus, they can combine music and humour like nobody else.

I love how as Canadians we are able to poke fun at ourselves and not take ourselves so seriously, which I think was the big message of last night's show. I realize not everyone gets our sense of humour or, apparently, our musical tastes, and that's ok. I saw a lot of Australians and other nationalities in the audience at the ceremonies last night just have a blast, so they seemed to enjoy it as well as the Canadians. I also saw more than a few Americans have a great time too... Alannis was wonderful (and she looks GREAT), Neil Young is classic and I love the song he sang, and Hedley was a lot of fun.

Hey, let's just count our lucky stars that Celine Dion did not perform. Trust us, you guys can keep her. She seems to have settled in there so nicely.

FORT Fogey

it's weird, i was sad didn't see celine dion there(opening or closing). oversea, you cannot talking about canada without thinking celine dion. I wished she was there

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3842946;

Hey, let's just count our lucky stars that Celine Dion did not perform. Trust us, you guys can keep her. She seems to have settled in there so nicely.
    Nooo, just please give us Neil Young and Michael J Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3842997;
    Never!! Michael J. Fox is so incredibly loved here in Canada. He's a BC boy, and he's truly awesome as a Canadian ambassador. I was on wikipedia looking at a list of Canadian comedians, and it's truly amazing how many of the most-loved actors and comedians in Hollywood are Canadian. There are far too many to post here, but check it out.

To the Point

Loved the Olympics. Thought Canada did a fab job of hosting. Happy that the Olympics are now over. I was beginning to have Olympic overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3842997;
    I'll let Neil Young go if we can have Ryan Reynolds and keeping Ryan Gosling is non-negotiable. And we really have to fight to keep Michael J. Fox because he has the most inspirational attitude toward adversity. I really find the whole idea of Canada as 'foreign' hilarious.

Missy is right about Beijing. I went there for a week during the Olympics and it was an exercise in extreme discomfort -- and not because they're 'different' but because of the disturbing restriction of freedoms. If you compare that to Mariner's fun experiences going up to watch the hockey games, it pretty much says it all.

The hockey game was a wild ride. That was Zach Parise (I just read through the posts but forgot who asked) who tied the game for the US. He plays for the NJ Devils. It was terrible to see Ryan Miller so crushed after the game but they showed him quickly at the closing ceremonies and he was doing much better which is cool.

Thanks, Canada, for holding the world on your broad shoulders so admirably the past couple of weeks.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

+ Reply to Thread