+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 112 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Yonge St. is CRAZY!! Loved seeing Gretzky's bar in Toronto...and Jack Layton and his wife sitting at the bar right in the middle of the crowd, beers in hand, cheering like crazy. Way to go, Jack!

For our American friends, Jack Layton is the head of the national NDP party here in Canada. To see him at a local bar enjoying with the rest of the crowd was awesome.

How perfect was it that Sidney Crosby scored the winning goal? He's crazy talented.

Congratulations to Canada!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Anyone else watching the Closing Ceremonies?? Other than the opera singing, we have enjoyed it immensely and have been LOAO! When they first started, DH asked why the fourth arm hadn't been raised. And then we learned why-- what a great spoof and I was happy for Katrina to be able to finally light her arm. William Shatner and his skit with, "Our country has splinter insurance" had me rolling-- why can't the US do that?? Thanks for sharing your beautiful country, your wonderful athletes, and your awesome sense of humor with the world!!

p.s. -- oh yeah-- and this dates back to my college days but I gotta say, I LOOOOOVE the uniforms of your Canadian Mounties. yowza!!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

I am watching the Closing Ceremonies. It hasn't started yet in California. They are showing the pre-show thing. I am reminded of the young Georgian luge slider that died on day one. It was so sad that something like this could happen. And all so people could go a little bit faster? It was dangerously fast. Such a tragedy. Bob Costas showed clips of the funeral and it didn't look like the young man's family has much money. I hope and pray they can sue somebody and get reparations for the accident. It could be the IOC or whichever Canadian owns the track. I don't know but reparations need to be paid to this family.
    What time does the ceremony start? I hope soon! And I hope this one is much better than the Opening.

I thought the opening ceremonies were great. And from what I've read online, so did many, many people. No, it wasn't flashy and glitzy, but it was beautiful and very Canadian, and I am glad we did it like we did, even if the arm didn't come up at the right time and it rained on the way to light the torch. I know you can't please everyone, but I think they did Canada proud, and I'm happy.

I enjoyed the closing ceremonies as well, could have suggested a couple of better bands (Barenaked Ladies, Tragically Hip) that I would like to have seen, but I love Neil Young, love Alannis Morisset, and really loved seeing William Shatner and Michael J. Fox.

I am sad for the family of the young man who died, and will decline to discuss whether people should be sued or not. That is for the man's family to decide. I don't think, though, that Canadians could feel any worse about it, and we have certainly done our share of feeling remorse for such a tragic accident. I don't believe it was anyone's fault though, but that is for others to decide.

I prefer right now to feel happy and proud and thrilled and elated and tired and JUBILANT that we did such a great job hosting the games.

I too thought the Opening Ceremonies were great and I loved the Closing ones as well. What a great way to show our sense of humour! Great job Vancouver!

So apparently I heard NBC cut away after Neil Young sang and the torches went out? Did they not show all the music after that?

Granted, if they cut away while Nickelback was on stage, that's understandable, but what about the rest?

We are watching it right now. We just saw Neil followed by William Shatner and Catherine O'Hara who is on now.

We decided to do a reprise of our trip to Vancouver last Sunday. This time we had brunch reservations for the Hotel Vancouver right in front of the big screen tv. Some friends who were supposed to come with us couldn't make it so we had two extra seats at our table. We offered to let someone else sit with us and ended up with a delightful couple from Toronto. We all had some great food and a wonderful time. The place was packed and not one person paid up and left. I think the restaurant was prepared for that. After Sid the Kid scored the game winning goal, the husband from Toronto leapt up and knocked his chair over. What you saw on tv? I'm not sure it could do justice to the scene out on the streets in Vancouver. I'll see if I can post a couple of pictures this week. Once again, everyone was great and the comments were all in good fun. We couldn't have been treated any better.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

That's lovely Mariner. I'm glad you had such a positive experience in Vancouver. I'm sure the place went nuts when Crosby scored!!

Well, it's 11:25 pm here on the West coast and NBC STILL hasn't shown all of the closing ceremonies. They broke away for the premiere of The Marriage Ref and the local news cause, you know, no one has anywhere to be tomorrow morning NBC sucks.

I did finally find the figure skating gala online. Now if I can get the thing to play on this antique of a computer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread