+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 112 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Thanks for that daddyzgirl!

Has anyone been watching CTV's coverage today? Its been great, recapping all the special moments, and an interview with Donald Sutherland, and Mark Messier. I loved the Bell Choice awards, they had different catagories, such as best spandex, best oh no moments, best fans who thought they were at the summer games.

2 1/2 hours to go till ulcer time!

Oh no, the hockey game is the very last event for this Olympics before the closing ceremonies! What are we going to do next week, guys? This has been so much fun. Best of luck to both teams!
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Running in to say Good luck to both the US and Canadian teams. I know only one can win but I'm happy for both teams to be in the final together. This has been an amazing Olympics and I think this hockey final is the perfect way to cap it off, no matter who wins. Big love to all our Canadian FORT brethren!!

ETA: My 5yr-old son just realized that the US and Canada are playing each other and said that there needs to be a tie so both teams can win!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3842395;
    Oh no, the hockey game is the very last event for this Olympics before the closing ceremonies! What are we going to do next week, guys? This has been so much fun. Best of luck to both teams!
    I agree, Chris! I've had such a great time watching these games, it's been so much fun. I'll be sad next week...HOWEVER...we're off to Hawaii in 9 days so I'll find a way to manage.

And yes, best of luck to both teams. So far, the intensity has been amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3842241;
    That's too bad Critical, there were over 23 skaters, it was 2 1/2 hours long.
    ARGH!!! That seriously pisses me off! I only saw the gold medalists (except for Shen and Zhao, who I probably just missed), Joannie, Plushenko and Charlie and Meryl. That's it If anyone knows where I could watch it online, could you let me know either here or by PM?

I've read some complaints online about the figure skating commentators, but I was okay with them. A bunch of people were calling for NBC to bring back Dick Button, but I don't think that's going to happen. Frankly, in the few pieces I saw him do with Bob Costas, he seemed a little off to me. He's in his 80's now, so he may just be getting a little slow. He seemed to be struggling to find words and it felt like he wasn't expressing himself the way he wanted to.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3842400;
    Running in to say Good luck to both the US and Canadian teams. I know only one can win but I'm happy for both teams to be in the final together. This has been an amazing Olympics and I think this hockey final is the perfect way to cap it off, no matter who wins. Big love to all our Canadian FORT brethren!!

ETA: My 5yr-old son just realized that the US and Canada are playing each other and said that there needs to be a tie so both teams can win!
    That is just too darn sweet!!!

Whatever the outcome, this has been a fabulous 2 weeks. Both of these two teams deserve to be where they are right now, they are both winners. They are both playing very well.

Please, no overtime and no shoot outs!!!!

sweet, is it that time already!!! I remember when you posted you just booked that trip, geesh time really does fly!!! I'm sure it has taken forever for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3842428;

sweet, is it that time already!!! I remember when you posted you just booked that trip, geesh time really does fly!!! I'm sure it has taken forever for you.
    It's so bizarre, the time has actually flown by!! If I don't have a heart attack today, hopefully in just over a week we'll be soaking up some lovely Hawaiin sun.

Seriously, what better two teams to play in the final? They both want this sooo badly and are just so intense right now. ARGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3841979;
    I don't mean they have to get the most medals. That is kind of impossible for most countries. But you do win more medals when you are the host. I thought that was common knowledge.
    For example:
    China had 100 medals in Beijing (2008), 63 medals in Athens (2004).
    Greece had 16 medals in Athens (2004), 4 in Beijing (2008).
    Australia had 58 in Sydney (2000), 46 in Beijing (2008).
    Italy had 11 in Torino (2006), 5 so far in Vancouver.

Canada isn't the only one who does it and I don't think anyone here said that it was. Canada has won twice as many golds in this Olympics as last time. Their doing great. I think team USA is also benefiting from the Olympics being close to home. We have more medals then we have ever had even though a lot of our stars have taken a tumble or 2. I really don't think there is anything wrong with setting up the competition so that your own athletes will have the best advantage possible. All the tactics may not be the most fair, but they usually aren't cheating either. (The age falsification in China was totally cheating though).

Apolo Ohno actually won a silver last week. The 2 Koreans that fell had nothing to do with his skating. One took the other out. One was DQ'd and the other had unfortunate luck. But there was no controversy there. There was nothing the judges could do since neither of them crossed the finish line first, second, or third place. I'm not sure I get your point. Part of the sport of speed skating is staying on your feet. And if you fall, you might just lose. Ohno has benefited from falls and he lost the gold because someone else caused him to fall. He's probably the first to acknowledge that what goes around comes around in his sport.
    It is common knowledge that the host country typically wins more medals than they normally would; in addition to other factors, such as more access/ familiarity with the venues and sporting a larger team, it's called home field advantage, which is acknowledged as a factor in all competitive sports. The Canadians are not doing anything that any other host country has done/will do to ensure better results for themselves.

4 minutes left...I feel like I'm going to throw up! :LOL

ETA...NOOOOO !! Crosby, buddy, what happened!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3842103;
    My point is perhaps the Canadian gold and bronze medal winners benefited from Ohno's pushing of Tremblay. It works both ways.

Not only did Canada win twice as many golds as the last Olympics, we are sitting at 13 right now, tied with Russia as winning the most golds in an Olympic game. Isn't it going to be great if/when we break that record!

I just looked at each and every one of our medal winners, on the vancouver2010 site, and thanked them for their dedication to their sport and our country.
    Where is that quote from? Tremblay wasn't the one who pushed the Korean skater. The one that won gold did. Well, I guess there will always be a difference of opinion and interpretation when it comes to these things. Some Koreans still hate Ohno for what happened 8 years ago and some Serbs hate America because they believe some conspiracy theory that Michael Phelps didn't beat Milorad Cavic and that Omega, the IOC, and FINA are trying to cover it up. Difference of opinion.

+ Reply to Thread