+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 112 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3842113;
    Don't sweat it, GA! Mr. S and I barely remember our required 8th grade french. Most of the times the girls talk in front of us, in French, and we don't understand a word they say unless they are talking about animals...I know the basics for dog, cat, etc. . They think it's the funniest thing ever!
    That is hillarious! I know grocery items, eggs, oeuffs, bread, pain, beurre, butter

I know alot of words, just not sentances.

Finland and Slovakia hockey is on right now. Its Saku Koivu's last Olympics. I'm a Montreal Canadien fan (speaking of french, I watch hockey in french sometimes ) He played for them for a long time before getting traded. He's one of my fav players!

Both teams have some great players. There were/are three sets of brothers.

Mikko and Saku Koivu - Finland
    Marian and Marcel Hossa - Slovakia
    Andre and Sergei Kostistyn - Belarus

Hmmm, Ovechkin is staying to carry the flag at the closing ceremonies? I just heard that during the break. Usually when they are out, they get back to resume their NHL games. He's quite the star, but I'd rather watch him during NHL games, and not Olympic games.

Did I read it here or somewhere else, that the Russian pres was suppose to be there for the closing ceremonies, and what he thought was going to be the gold medal game with Russia but isn't coming now because they are out?

Since they are the next host country I would think he would be there. The torch needs to be passed on!

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;3841511;
    Yes, Henrik Lundqvist was the goalie for us. Slovakaia beat us 3-2 and since it was generally agreed that Sweden would reach the final 4 so the headlines were not nice. One reporter even asked one player, right after the game, "would you call this a flop?" He got a scoliding from the player, rightly so I think. However, I do like the sports where many teams/athletes all have a chance to win, and it's not one clear favourite.

In good news, curling ladies! I didn't watch the game, it started at midnight here, but it was good news to wake up to .

From reading here, it seems like not many here are followin the cross country skiing. From a Swedish point of view, the cross country skiing has been going well. Just the 50 km left and I hate that it's a mass start, so I probably won't watch the enitre race anyway, with a mass start only the last few kilometres are interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for new Swedish medals, but, honestly, I have no high hopes, it seems like they are better for the shorter distances.
    Thanks for chiming in from Sweden, FF! I'm sorry to hear about the hockey loss and, having watched him with the Rangers, Henrik rarely gives up that many goals. Sweden did win the gold in the last Olympics with Henrik as the goalie, I think, so that's a tremendous accomplishment.

My Dad has hardly watched any of the Olympics but I called him the other day and he was watching the cross country skiing. It must be because Sweden has been doing well in it. In typical Swede fashion, he didn't even brag about it!

Please share with us any other observations you have. I always love to hear about Sweden.

In a side note, I have to say that I'm getting really tired of seeing Canada trashed. Canada is our ally, our neighbor and the friend that always has our back. We have enough problems in the world without antagonizing our friends.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

uggh, I feel bad for Slovakia, Mens Hockey, they were so close in winning their first medal in Hockey for their country, they lost to Team Finland.

Its so nice to see Saku Koivu and Temmo Sellane and the rest of them, get their bronze medal!!! They are all so happy, I love it!!! Ohh they are throwing their bouquets into the stands!! What a great idea! The support from the crowd is so nice!!! They lost to the USA and came back and took a bronze and are estatic and rightly so!

They had a great group of players on their team! They are going to feel fantastic when they get back to their NHL teams with a medal.

Congrats Team Finland!!

Wow, the pure joy from the Finnish men's team was so much fun to watch as they received their bronze medal tonight. They were just so happy, and how cute was their Prime Minister, jumping up and down and waving that flag?

I did feel bad for Slovakia, they had the lead and then got into penalty trouble. Teemu Selanne was just interviewed and said that playing for bronze is different...you WIN the bronze, you don't lose the gold and settle for silver. They handed out the medals tonight so that the NHL players could get back to their teams. Wish they could all stay and experience the closing ceremonies.

Thanks, Chris! We are such close nations, and we rely on each other so much. It's good to be friends.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3842144;

In a side note, I have to say that I'm getting really tired of seeing Canada trashed. Canada is our ally, our neighbor and the friend that always has our back. We have enough problems in the world without antagonizing our friends.
    I agree. Maybe it's partly circumstance, but I've enjoyed these games more than any in recent memory (and I missed the first 6 days!) and I think Canada's done a great job of hosting. Canada has come across as wanting to share itself with the world, while appearing comfortable in its skin (while I felt that Beijing and China as a whole spent the Olympics constantly trying proving itself to the world-- different circumstances, obviously, and they did a good job, but they couldn't hide the "trying really really hard" vibe). I'm sad to see the Winter Olympics end. I've come to realize this week how much I prefer them to the summer Olympics, which, if I hadn't been a swimmer, I don't know if I'd care about them at all.

Argh! What crappy coverage of the figure skating gala tonight. I didn't watch every second of the coverage, but I saw most of it and I counted 6 performances. I may have missed a few, but I didn't miss that many. It's my understanding that the top five in each discipline perform at the gala, so NBC cheated viewers out of most of the show.

I remember watching almost all of the gala skaters a number of Olympics ago...probably when they were on ABC.

for the Americans who won the 4-man bobsled tonight! Talk about a long dry spell - 62 years without a gold medal. I was so happy for all of them.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's too bad Critical, there were over 23 skaters, it was 2 1/2 hours long. I didn't watch the whole thing, it was on the same time as the Mens Curling.

Congrats USA 1 team I didn't know they went all that time without a gold medal! That's fantastic! The joy is overwhelming when you hear of stories like that.

Its so sad to see the vancouver2010 website so empty now The CTV coverage and the Vancouver website have been outstanding. I couldn't watch without my laptop which had live updates right before my eyes.

Far cry from getting up off the couch, going to the TV, manually changing the channel until everyone is happy with the channel, then sitting back down again.

Pressure cooker day! Good luck to everyone, may your best man/team win!

The skating gala last night was great. The skaters were obviously more relaxed and having fun. We laughed to see the Canadian team's outfits...she dressed as a ballerina and he in his Canadian hockey jersey, jeans and toque. The Russians skated to a "mission impossible" theme, complete with all black spy outfits, and did anyone see that little guy from, was it Alberta, who performed? He's like 11 or something, and the announcers were cracking themselves up at his "school nerd" routine. All in all it was a great show.

Mr. S and I were laughing though, saying why don't they have a "curling" gala, or a "speed skating" gala where they athletes race around the track to music...and maybe add a disco ball or something??

Ok, big game later, and then sadly it's all over. I'm so proud of our athletes, and win or lose the gold today in hockey, we're just excited for the unbelievable games we've had. I'll be sad when the closing ceremony happens. It's been so cool having it so close to home.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3842255;
    ...and did anyone see that little guy from, was it Alberta, who performed? He's like 11 or something, and the announcers were cracking themselves up at his "school nerd" routine. All in all it was a great show.
    Someone was live blogging the event... here's info on the skater:

9:05 pm: And now Nam Nguyen, a juniors Olympic hopeful from Canada, skating to Fever. I love his blue skates. And he knows to sell a crowd. He's even playing to the camera! Who is this kid? He's 11 years old and has won consecutive juvenile, pre-novie and novice national titles.
    Not sure where's he from but he trains in Burnaby, B.C. I thought was was very entertaining to watch!

Closing ceremony 'will bust a few Canadian myths'

VANCOUVER — Expect Canadians to have a bit of fun at their own expense in the Winter Olympic closing ceremony Sunday.

Though details of the show remain secret, Vancouver organizing chief John Furlong said Friday that it will be an amusing send-off for some of the word's greatest athletes.

"It will be Canada's way of saying goodbye and thank you," he said. "We will probably poke a bit of fun at ourselves. You will probably come away from the ceremonies knowing a bit more about us than you did if you're not from Canada."

And while the opening ceremony was criticized for the lack of French and ethnic content, Furlong said the Vancouver Organizing Committee has made no changes to Games' finale.

"We will be delivering the show that we've planned for the past two years," he said. "But you will be under no doubt at the end of the show . . . that we are a bilingual country and we celebrate it."

And, just in case anyone misunderstood, Furlong said "the country came together to deliver it — including the province of Quebec."

Furlong gave no hint as to who will perform at the closing ceremony, where the athletes will once again parade into B.C. Place Stadium, the Olympic cauldron will be extinguished and the Olympic flag passed to the city of Sochi, Russia, which will play host to the games in 2014.

The show, he said, will "bust a few Canadian myths" and feature some "amazing" Canadian talent.

"It's likely at the end of the show — especially if you're not Canadian — that you will come face to face with people that you might have thought were from somewhere else."

As to who will be watching from the stands, Furlong said he has heard the same rumours as everyone else that U.S. President Barack Obama might make the trip north to catch the show. But Furlong said nobody on his committee has been able to confirm those reports.

"We've heard on and off again talk from all over the world about different people who might or might not be coming," he said. "I think, like anyone else, these men and women are fans and they're looking at what's going on and making decisions, 'Will I or won't I?' And we'll see what happens."

The identity of Canada's flag bearer also remains a source of speculation.

Canada's chef de mission Nathalie Lambert said she and her assistants will make a decision Saturday night or Sunday morning.

"We have a lot of great, amazing athletes on this team," she said. "So it's going to be a tough decision."

Lambert said many people are already suggesting that the flag bearer should be figure skater Joannie Rochette, who won a bronze medal four days after the sudden death of her mother.

"I think we need to respect every single athlete," Lambert said. "There's a lot of great, wow moments that inspired people in different ways, and I think we need to consider everybody."
    And here was someone's response to that article:
    The most excellent closing ceremonies would be a :
    A 2 hour Neil Young concert.
    The passing of the Olympic flag.
    A 3 hour RUSH concert
    Extinguishing of the flame
    If only it were true

By the way, I heard Charles Hamelin was carrying the flag tonight...

+ Reply to Thread