+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 112 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Olympic Games

Re: The Olympic Games

I don't usually think of curlers as hot but John Morris for the Canadians isn't exactly hard to look at.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3841903;
    I really have to disagree with you. All you have to do is go back to stats and figures and you will see the host nation in many instances, summer and winter are not neccessarily the top country for the most medals. Suggesting that medals are squeezed by biased judges for the host nation, I think is a slap in the face to the athletes.

2006 Turin Italy 11, Germany with the most medals at 29.
    2002 Salt Lake City USA 34 Germany with the most medals at 36

Canada 17 in 2002 24 in 2006 and 2010, right now 23 with the most Golds than any other country. That's an improvement, and to me, its not about the numbers.

I don't think there is one Canadian out there that says, or expects, Canada to be the leader in medals, or wishes judges are biased and cheat our way to the podium.

There are always discussions about unfair judges, biased judges etc. If I were an athelete, I certaintly wouldn't want to win a medal based on political reasons after years of hard work of getting to the Olympics.

If you get involved in the bribes, and the he said she said, its a lost cause. This reminds me, of the bidding for St Lake City, some IOC members took bribes from members of the Salt Lake City bid committee, for the 2002 Winter Olympics, so the votes would go to the Americans. This is also the case for 2012 London, bribes being offered so more votes go to London. So in 2012 are we to think everytime a Brit gets a medal its been squeezed?

Its best not to get involved otherwise you loose focus on the whole meaning of Olympics which is for the athletes.

Ohno won gold last week, when the 2 Koreans took a spill. Otherwise it would have been a 1 2 3 sweep of the Koreans. I didn't hear anyone say, geesh that's too bad, Ohno had to win like that, if those Koreans didn't spill, no way would he have won. He has had other calls to his advantage, more than you may realize. He also won a gold in Salt Lake City when another Korean was disqualified, talk about controversy, no one felt the Korean should have been disqualified. Its been Ohno against the Koreans for quite some time now, talk about politics.

So call it sticking up for my country, call it what you want, but if you're going to compare, then compare with all nations and you will be surprised at your findings. JMO
    I don't mean they have to get the most medals. That is kind of impossible for most countries. But you do win more medals when you are the host. I thought that was common knowledge.
    For example:
    China had 100 medals in Beijing (2008), 63 medals in Athens (2004).
    Greece had 16 medals in Athens (2004), 4 in Beijing (2008).
    Australia had 58 in Sydney (2000), 46 in Beijing (2008).
    Italy had 11 in Torino (2006), 5 so far in Vancouver.

Canada isn't the only one who does it and I don't think anyone here said that it was. Canada has won twice as many golds in this Olympics as last time. Their doing great. I think team USA is also benefiting from the Olympics being close to home. We have more medals then we have ever had even though a lot of our stars have taken a tumble or 2. I really don't think there is anything wrong with setting up the competition so that your own athletes will have the best advantage possible. All the tactics may not be the most fair, but they usually aren't cheating either. (The age falsification in China was totally cheating though).

Apolo Ohno actually won a silver last week. The 2 Koreans that fell had nothing to do with his skating. One took the other out. One was DQ'd and the other had unfortunate luck. But there was no controversy there. There was nothing the judges could do since neither of them crossed the finish line first, second, or third place. I'm not sure I get your point. Part of the sport of speed skating is staying on your feet. And if you fall, you might just lose. Ohno has benefited from falls and he lost the gold because someone else caused him to fall. He's probably the first to acknowledge that what goes around comes around in his sport.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3841903;
    I really have to disagree with you. All you have to do is go back to stats and figures and you will see the host nation in many instances, summer and winter are not neccessarily the top country for the most medals. Suggesting that medals are squeezed by biased judges for the host nation, I think is a slap in the face to the athletes.

2006 Turin Italy 11, Germany with the most medals at 29.
    2002 Salt Lake City USA 34 Germany with the most medals at 36

Canada 17 in 2002 24 in 2006 and 2010, right now 23 with the most Golds than any other country. That's an improvement, and to me, its not about the numbers.

I don't think there is one Canadian out there that says, or expects, Canada to be the leader in medals, or wishes judges are biased and cheat our way to the podium.

There are always discussions about unfair judges, biased judges etc. If I were an athelete, I certaintly wouldn't want to win a medal based on political reasons after years of hard work of getting to the Olympics.

If you get involved in the bribes, and the he said she said, its a lost cause. This reminds me, of the bidding for St Lake City, some IOC members took bribes from members of the Salt Lake City bid committee, for the 2002 Winter Olympics, so the votes would go to the Americans. This is also the case for 2012 London, bribes being offered so more votes go to London. So in 2012 are we to think everytime a Brit gets a medal its been squeezed?

Its best not to get involved otherwise you loose focus on the whole meaning of Olympics which is for the athletes.

Ohno won gold last week, when the 2 Koreans took a spill. Otherwise it would have been a 1 2 3 sweep of the Koreans. I didn't hear anyone say, geesh that's too bad, Ohno had to win like that, if those Koreans didn't spill, no way would he have won. He has had other calls to his advantage, more than you may realize. He also won a gold in Salt Lake City when another Korean was disqualified, talk about controversy, no one felt the Korean should have been disqualified. Its been Ohno against the Koreans for quite some time now, talk about politics.

So call it sticking up for my country, call it what you want, but if you're going to compare, then compare with all nations and you will be surprised at your findings. JMO
    Thank you, GA, for such a well-thought-out and articulate post. I particularly agree with the bolded. We, as Canadians, are not really used to tooting our own horn. Somehow that has changed for this Olympics, and frankly for our country it is such a magical thing, to see that sea of red and white, cheering our athletes on with such pride and joy. I really think the crowds have been a positive and even a negative thing, in some respects. I read an article online this morning from a Vancouver newspaper saying the overwhelming outpouring of patriotism is giving the Canadian men's hockey team a case of nerves. The athletes are giving their all, and I truly don't think there is favouritism towards them, just the positive swell of pride from the country is pumping them up and pushing them to incredible heights.

I am proud of the way these Olympics have been held. I'm proud of all the athletes, from every country, who is in Vancouver living out their dreams. Congrats to all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3841989;
    Thank you, GA, for such a well-thought-out and articulate post. I particularly agree with the bolded. We, as Canadians, are not really used to tooting our own horn. Somehow that has changed for this Olympics, and frankly for our country it is such a magical thing, to see that sea of red and white, cheering our athletes on with such pride and joy. I really think the crowds have been a positive and even a negative thing, in some respects. I read an article online this morning from a Vancouver newspaper saying the overwhelming outpouring of patriotism is giving the Canadian men's hockey team a case of nerves. The athletes are giving their all, and I truly don't think there is favouritism towards them, just the positive swell of pride from the country is pumping them up and pushing them to incredible heights.

I am proud of the way these Olympics have been held. I'm proud of all the athletes, from every country, who is in Vancouver living out their dreams. Congrats to all of them!
    Canadians have every right to feel proud of your Olympians and Country! This has been such an enjoyable Olympic season because of the host nation being our neighbors and sharing their joy on this forum. Likewise, they have been supportive of the US team and all countries. I have almost learned your national anthem I have heard it so many times now! With all the television coverage and comments it has all been good. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3842000;
    I have almost learned your national anthem I have heard it so many times now! With all the television coverage and comments it has all been good. Well done!
    MiniDiva your next challenge is to learn the entire thing in French! My girls go to a french immsersion elementary school, so we often sing it in French here at the Sweetpea household.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3841926;
    I don't usually think of curlers as hot but John Morris for the Canadians isn't exactly hard to look at.
    I'm right there with you, Mariner. John is easy on the eyes.

I've developed many crushes over the last 2 weeks! Today it's Lucas Makowsky. Last week it was Jon Montgomery... I'm going to miss the games!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3842005;
    MiniDiva your next challenge is to learn the entire thing in French! My girls go to a french immsersion elementary school, so we often sing it in French here at the Sweetpea household.
    You give me far to much credit sweetpea! I said I learned the words to "O Canada", but I did not sing the words . . . whether I sing in French or English I garantee that I would clear out the entire Olympic stadium if I do sing!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3841979;
    Canada isn't the only one who does it and I don't think anyone here said that it was. Canada has won twice as many golds in this Olympics as last time. Their doing great. I think team USA is also benefiting from the Olympics being close to home. We have more medals then we have ever had even though a lot of our stars have taken a tumble or 2. I really don't think there is anything wrong with setting up the competition so that your own athletes will have the best advantage possible. All the tactics may not be the most fair, but they usually aren't cheating either. (The age falsification in China was totally cheating though).

Apolo Ohno actually won a silver last week. The 2 Koreans that fell had nothing to do with his skating. One took the other out. One was DQ'd and the other had unfortunate luck. But there was no controversy there. There was nothing the judges could do since neither of them crossed the finish line first, second, or third place. I'm not sure I get your point. Part of the sport of speed skating is staying on your feet. And if you fall, you might just lose. Ohno has benefited from falls and he lost the gold because someone else caused him to fall. He's probably the first to acknowledge that what goes around comes around in his sport.
    Storming from the back of the pack, Ohno pushed aside Tremblay from the inside, sending him to the sideboards with Tremblay tripping Sung along the way.
    My point is perhaps the Canadian gold and bronze medal winners benefited from Ohno's pushing of Tremblay. It works both ways.

Not only did Canada win twice as many golds as the last Olympics, we are sitting at 13 right now, tied with Russia as winning the most golds in an Olympic game. Isn't it going to be great if/when we break that record!

I just looked at each and every one of our medal winners, on the vancouver2010 site, and thanked them for their dedication to their sport and our country.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3842005;
    I grew up with French people all around me, took my required french classes in high school and can understand a few words or sentances, but that's about it! I try to speak Italian with a French accent when I try.

One of my co workers is French, I ask him all the time, how do you say this or how do you say that, or he'll steal some jelly beans out of my candy jar and say something in French while he's taking them, and I try to translate to english.

Good for the sweetpea girls, we have many french immersion schools in my city. You would think that with everything around me is in both english and french I would know more? Maybe I should make that a priority, make an effort to learn more french!!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3842105;
    Good for the sweetpea girls, we have many french immersion schools in my city. You would think that with everything around me is in both english and french I would know more? Maybe I should make that a priority, make an effort to learn more french!!
    Don't sweat it, GA! Mr. S and I barely remember our required 8th grade french. Most of the times the girls talk in front of us, in French, and we don't understand a word they say unless they are talking about animals...I know the basics for dog, cat, etc. . They think it's the funniest thing ever!

+ Reply to Thread